Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I swear, Lottery retailers need training!

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 11 years ago by goldrush.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #23806
October 16, 2005
188 Posts
Posted: February 1, 2006, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

Like I said before. I always get 1x20 multiplay on mega millions. I purposely ask for MULTIPLAY about 3 times.. what do i get? $20 worth of tickets for ONE Drawings.. geeezzz. This happened to me 6 times already.  Then sometimes i get paranoid thinking that those could of been the winning numbers.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    United States
    Member #3013
    December 13, 2003
    3047 Posts
    Posted: February 1, 2006, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

I fill out game slips now because it seems like some of the lottery retailers do not train the employee's on how to use the terminals properly.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
      Yinzer Country, PA
      United States
      Member #4067
      March 18, 2004
      2741 Posts
      Posted: February 1, 2006, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

I was trained very well when I worked the terminal.  I was known for rarely making a mistake.  I think some retailers have high employee turnover rates, so they don't bother giving them the full training.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Jani Norman's avatar - fiftyways
        OHIO
        United States
        Member #4164
        March 27, 2004
        14586 Posts
        Posted: February 1, 2006, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

I fill out game slips now because it seems like some of the lottery retailers do not train the employee's on how to use the terminals properly.

I agree, that's about the only way you will get what you ask for is to fill out those slips, but i think they completely ignore what you say just so you will have to fill out those slips....because i tell myself nobody can be that plain ignorant about something they do everyday.......

"I am what I am by the grace of God."

Kitfany

http://www.ohiolottery.com/

Snakeyes's avatar - 8579390479 65f71643cf_m.jpg
          Cleveland, Ohio
          United States
          Member #11445
          February 13, 2005
          1303 Posts
          Posted: February 1, 2006, 4:46 pm - IP Logged

Are these the same people that work the Taco Bell drive thru at night? You know, where you could order one standard taco, and they manage to mess that up?

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
            ORLANDO, FLORIDA
            United States
            Member #4924
            June 3, 2004
            5896 Posts
            Posted: February 1, 2006, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

I agree, that's about the only way you will get what you ask for is to fill out those slips, but i think they completely ignore what you say just so you will have to fill out those slips....because i tell myself nobody can be that plain ignorant about something they do everyday.......

The 7-11 store, that I use, they can't run the slips thru right. I tell them to run the slips thru so many times. I know what the total is suppose to be, they are either short or over. This one clerk starts laughing when I walk thru the door. She will ask" how many times"? I'll tell her, then count to my self. When she stops, she gives me this funny look, like am I right? 90% of the time, I will say no, run it thru 2,3,4 more times. She says she can't rember the count.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
              A long and winding road
              United States
              Member #17084
              June 10, 2005
              4525 Posts
              Posted: February 1, 2006, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

PA has started the automated machines, they work great for folks who want to pick their own. Or run their own tickets. Only draw back is: Tickets can't be canceled - or jamming does occur and no human/employee will be available to fix the jam or retrieve the 20$ bill you just stuck in the machine. So in essence its a gamble; be it a human or an automated machine, accidents happen. I personally dont care for the folks who do hog the terminal  for forty minutes playing dailys and pick 4's without a slip. They will often berate the employee and stand there as if they own the terminal. These employees are demeaned and ridiculed for being human and making honest mistakes. Yes its your money but is your cash or losing ticket worth the degradation of another person? I often think, if I win and was nasty to the person does my winning justify that treatment? NOPE! No amount of money justifies that.

Recently one store I visit got so tired of the rudeness of some of the lottery players that they put up a sign-

Hand the playslip with a smile or go up the road an extra mile. (I smile each time I hand my ticket over, afterall it could be the winner!).

Playslips expediate the transaction and hold the ticket purchaser responsible for the numbers played.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19825 Posts
                Posted: February 1, 2006, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

There's not wrong with making out play slips and taking responsibility for the numbers you play and speeding up the process to boot if you're not happy with quick picks.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

angelm's avatar - anne
                  richmond ky.
                  United States
                  Member #15877
                  May 22, 2005
                  8472 Posts
                  Posted: February 1, 2006, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

I always fill out slips but they usually try to put them in backwards,upside down and act likes it's a pain for them to have to do itNo No(maybe some of the cashiers are on a diet of razor blades)

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                    Charlotte NC
                    United States
                    Member #17406
                    June 18, 2005
                    4053 Posts
                    Posted: February 1, 2006, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

SmashSome stores in SC you must fill out a slip.

takeemtothebank

Coastal Georgia
                      United States
                      Member #2653
                      October 30, 2003
                      1866 Posts
                      Posted: February 1, 2006, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

I don't blame them for wanting the numbers on play slips- 

I have been lucky ( ? ) enough to be behind more than one player that tells the clerk several pick 3 or 4 numbers in several different combinations and denominations ran multiple times- while on a cell phone ..            Bash

Baton Rouge, LA
                        United States
                        Member #4602
                        May 7, 2004
                        699 Posts
                        Posted: February 2, 2006, 10:07 am - IP Logged

Like I said before. I always get 1x20 multiplay on mega millions. I purposely ask for MULTIPLAY about 3 times.. what do i get? $20 worth of tickets for ONE Drawings.. geeezzz. This happened to me 6 times already.  Then sometimes i get paranoid thinking that those could of been the winning numbers.

I'm running a pool at my work where every payday(every 2 weeks), each member puts up $4 and we buy 3 Powerball and 3 Louisiana Lotto tickets for 4 consecutive drawings. I have filled out playslips for multidraw tickets and I just hand them to the clerk who just runs them through the machine and it prints the tickets.

There have been times when I've asked for multidraw tickets and they told me they couldn't do it through the terminal. Whether or not that is true, I don't know, so I just fill out playslips and since we play the same combination of numbers and quickpicks every payday, I have them ready when I go in.

A friend of mine used to work for Circle K, which is what 7-11 was in Louisiana about 20 years ago. He told me turnover in the stores was very high so they always had to retrain workers and when a worker doesn't stay very long, they don't get proficient with the equipment.

The best thing to do is just fill out playslips for multidraw and you shouldn't have problems.

PrisonerSix

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: February 2, 2006, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

Unless a person has vision problems or a handicap that makes filling out a slip difficult, I don't see why the clerk should do it. I agree that many store employees are not properly trained and the reason Prisoner Six gave above is a good one. Even with experience, if you're new there's a lot to learn and customers aren't patient. But sometimes the employees are just being lazy. One time I either handed a cashier at the supermarket the same card or she ran it through twice, so I had 2 tickets with the same exact 6 numbers. She said the extra ticket could not be cancelled. She probably didn't know how to do it and wouldn't call for assistance.  It wasn't even busy. However, working at a convenient store like 7-11 isn't as easy as it looks. I'm not saying you need a 200 IQ or a PhD, but during busy times it can get quite hectic checking IDs for cigarettes or beer, giving directions, turning on pump #5 for $20, while keeping an eye on a possible shoplifter in the corner.  They also need to make fresh coffee, check the hot dogs and throw them out after a certain time. We get a lot of tourists and I'm a mile from the beach, so the 7-11 near me often has lines. When a clerk takes his break, that one guy at the register can be doing 3 things at once. Plus the tourists who have never played the lottery in their lives suddenly decide because they're on vacation they'll spend a few bucks and have no clue what it's all about.  I also hear people say "give me 2 for tonight." So what does that mean? 2 tickets for Pick-3 or Play-4 or maybe Fantasy-5.  MegaMoney? How many plays? Do you want them on the same ticket? Many people see a lottery machine and think there's just "The Lottery."

BTW, one time I walked into the local 7-11 with my regular cards and the guy ran them through. Guess what?  I always check my numbers before I leave and asked "where did these numbers come from?" Apparently one card was bent or didn't go through properly and he entered the numbers manually, but he entered the wrong numbers! He really was only trying to be helpful. I kept the ticket and paid the extra dollar. (I'm superstitious)  Although I often play random numbers and add a quickpick or 2, in 12 years I've never changed my 2 regular sets. So this is one example of why it is always better to mark whatever you can on the card.  The chances are very slim, but what if after 1,000+ draws my numbers finally came up and one was wrong!  There isn't enough valium on the Earth that would help.

Australia
                            Member #17096
                            June 11, 2005
                            225 Posts
                            Posted: February 3, 2006, 3:24 am - IP Logged

I agree, it the UK, there is a lotto extra game, which you can only play with the regular lotto game. I have in many cases asked for lotto and lotto extra, but in many cases the assistant could not do the lotto extra.