Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ohio LOP-end of game?

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Will OH announce this month?

Yes [ 3 ]  [23.08%]
No [ 8 ]  [61.54%]
Can't guess [ 2 ]  [15.38%]
Total Valid Votes [ 13 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: February 2, 2006, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

OH Lot O' Play finally was hit last night (2/1.) It will be very interesting what the payouts will be now that the jackpot is at the minimum. Will OH announce during the next few weeks that LOP will be retired?

Youngstown,Ohio
    United States
    Member #24849
    October 27, 2005
    386 Posts
    Posted: February 2, 2006, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

I hope so! I hate that game!

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: February 2, 2006, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

Grass:

I hope you also hate PA Unlucky for Life. At least LOP has a cash option (although a lump-sum winner gets a lower percentage of the annuity than in Mega Millions, even though each game is 26 annual payments).

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
        Yinzer Country, PA
        United States
        Member #4067
        March 18, 2004
        2741 Posts
        Posted: February 2, 2006, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

CASH Only:

Seriously, OH is not gonna get rid of the game anytime soon, especially not since one person complains about it.  They know that they cannot please everyone.  They just try to please as many people as they can. Even though the payouts are low, OH makes a lot off of this game.  In fact, the lower the payouts, the more OH is making off of ticket sales for the game.  Payouts don't mean anything in terms of ticket sales, especially since the lower prizes are fixed amounts.  The payouts just mean how much players won.  In theory a state could sell a ton of tickets and have none of them winners.  You have to also remember that people will do anything, even pay an extra dollar, just to get a shot at making some nice money, especially when the odds of winning a cash prize are 1 in 5.  They are not going to get rid of the game.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: February 2, 2006, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

ew:

I am _not_ leading the charge against LOP (but am against your Unlucky for Life.) LOP, while I'm not totally happy with the cash option percentage, does allow a winner to collect in lump sum.

New Jersey Lucky 7 (modeled after PA Super 7) lasted only five weeks. One version of OH Lotto was retired after three months.

ohiopick3's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
            Ohio
            United States
            Member #3023
            December 14, 2003
            4166 Posts
            Posted: February 2, 2006, 8:41 pm - IP Logged
            I voted "Yes" because many places I have purchased tickets say that nobody plays this
            game. And now with the jackpot back to "only" 1 million many people will not play it for $2 now.
            So when their sales decline tremendously within the next five draws, the Ohio Lottery
            will see that definitely, and probably have some type of survey on their web site as a poll.
            That's what they usually do when a game is not doing well.
            But that new game may not start until later this spring. I just hope it is a game worth
            playing. And not one that is designed more like an "instant" ticket?
            The most recent poll they had was something similar to Lot 'O Play any ways.
            Maybe they have to regroup their gaming design department or something? 
            We'll see soon on that one? 
              RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19830 Posts
              Posted: February 3, 2006, 12:42 am - IP Logged

I've noticed that when Ohio Lottery takes a survey, it about a game they have already designed, not about designing a new game and they only count the positive response. 

SLP was a good game but they didn't want to pay out a prize unless the player matched 3+1 or better which made the odds of winning anything 1:451.  Had they been willing to pay $1 for a match 3 as they did at the end of the game, the odds were have been 1:54 but they wanted to have a better return on the game.  I looked at a QP for 3+1 as a no cost option to lose again as a system player.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                Member #16612
                June 2, 2005
                3493 Posts
                Posted: February 3, 2006, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

My vote is for yes. I think they should announce when Ohio Lot O' Play should retire. How many tickets won the Ohio Lot O' Play jackpot on 2/1? What was the announced jackpot on 2/1?

Clearwater, FL
                  United States
                  Member #31472
                  January 29, 2006
                  167 Posts
                  Posted: February 5, 2006, 3:10 am - IP Logged

There are more people out there that play the lottery games that are totally clueless as to the odds of winning and do not wish to spend the time or put forth any effort to learn or use any strategies. Most people just want to lay their money down and hope for lady luck to smile upon them.

As long as Ohio makes a good profit off of LOP they will keep the game alive. I for one knew the game was not worth my time the first time I read about it before it even started. The promo and the static odds makes the game look and sound good to those who do not and never have looked at lottery games with a stategic mind.

How many of you who play stategic lottery, play scratch offs? I for one do not based on the fact that I have no choice or control over the tickets that I buy other than which retailer I buy them from.

Stepping down from my soap box now, Thank You. Mad

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: February 6, 2006, 9:53 am - IP Logged

The first LOP since the jackpot was won had a surprisingly (high) 180k payout, although still a record low for a Saturday. This game will never have another 300k rollover.

United States
                      Member #16612
                      June 2, 2005
                      3493 Posts
                      Posted: February 8, 2006, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

I agree with you CASH Only about the rollovers. Part of the reason LOP isn't rolling fast is because they also have Mega Millions. LOP is making more profit than expected and should stay alive.

United States
                        Member #379
                        June 5, 2002
                        11296 Posts
                        Posted: February 8, 2006, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

I agree with you CASH Only about the rollovers. Part of the reason LOP isn't rolling fast is because they also have Mega Millions. LOP is making more profit than expected and should stay alive.

If the rollovers are small, than OH probably isn't making much money on this game. I would have to think the OH Lottery is disappointed about the sales figures.

United States
                          Member #379
                          June 5, 2002
                          11296 Posts
                          Posted: March 3, 2006, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

LOP obviously is flawed, but it's still a much better game than GA-KY-VA Lose for Life. Still don't know if KY has a cash option.

United States
                            Member #16612
                            June 2, 2005
                            3493 Posts
                            Posted: March 4, 2006, 10:49 am - IP Logged

CASH Only, LOP isn't profiting well. I think LOP should end soon. Texas Lotto flopped the bonus ball already and will retire on 4/22/06. LOP is a difficult game.

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: March 5, 2006, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

CASH Only, LOP isn't profiting well. I think LOP should end soon. Texas Lotto flopped the bonus ball already and will retire on 4/22/06. LOP is a difficult game.

I don't think OH will drop LOP until they have a new game ready. They're considering a game with a weekly top prize, unfortunately.