Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are cold numbers a loosing stratagy?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 11 years ago by scorpio.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #2338
September 17, 2003
2063 Posts
Posted: February 3, 2006, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

Played Euromillions with 9 as a lucky star for all numbers played since it hadn't come up for a while. Needless to say it still didn't come up. Just wondering if others though it's a poor stratagy anyways.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
    Member #91
    January 19, 2002
    11932 Posts
    Posted: February 4, 2006, 10:50 am - IP Logged

I dont think it was a poor strategy...all numbers will eventually hit, but I find that colder numbers often only show themselves once per 14-20 draws, where as the hotter numbers tend to come up more consistently with in 8 to 12 draws of themselves.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
      Pennsylvania
      United States
      Member #1340
      April 6, 2003
      2450 Posts
      Posted: February 4, 2006, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

I am almost certain that the cold numbers will re-appear when you stop playing them

I made that mistake when there were almost 200 draws on the powerball without a #27 as PB... played one combo with 27 for like 10 weeks, soon as I stopped (and I mean the next draw) boom... #27 as PB

the gap was 5/27/2002 to 4/21/2004 I played #27 from 2/11/2004 (when I noticed it) to 4/17/2004 (when I got disgusted with it) and on the 4/21 draw I played a different number. With 4 rotating machines and ball sets, I couldn't imagine why 200 draws would separate any number, but it happened... and I missed out :-(  but I would have probably only matched the PB if I did play that week with a 27, because it was with cold white balls also.

I have since abandoned the longest out "skip chart" approach to PB. thise silly numbers don't know when they're due.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: February 4, 2006, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

On occasion a bunch of "cold" numbers will come out at once. This happened in one of the multi-state games a few weeks back. It, by definition does not happen often, but I doubt that the person who won will complain about that. The upside is that there are not that many "cold" numbers at any given time. so you wont spend a lot, relatively, while you wait.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19828 Posts
          Posted: February 4, 2006, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

It all depends on how you define cold numbers.  If you define cold numbers as numbers that have not come up in more than five times their normal rate of occurrences I would say yes but if you define cold numbers as numbers that have not come up in the last five or six drawings then I would say no. 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

winnerpick3's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg
            pasadena MARYLAND
            United States
            Member #11646
            February 20, 2005
            73 Posts
            Posted: February 4, 2006, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

HERE ARE SOME REAL COLD NUMBERS FOR THE MARYLAND PICK 3 EVENING DRAWING SINCE 1976 THESE NUMBERS HAVE ONLY SHOWED UP THE AMOUNT OF TIMES SHOWN THATS WHAT I CALL A COLD NUMBER  TIMES SHOWN AND HOW LONG ITS BEEN SINCE SEEN

071=2 TIMES LAST SEEN 1988
            963=2 TIMES LAST SEEN 1993
            334=2 TIMES LAST SEEN 1996
            720=2 TIMES LAST SEEN 1998
            743=2 TIMES LAST SEEN 2000
            599=3 TIMES LAST SEEN 2003
            229=3 TIMES LAST SEEN 2003
              MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
              Beautiful Florida
              United States
              Member #5709
              July 18, 2004
              20117 Posts
              Posted: February 4, 2006, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

It's really not a poor strategy, it's just that "cold" numbers have a tendency to only show up with certain combos of other numbers. While a lot of "cold" numbers come out with certain numbers, others will only show with a combination of numbers. Check out the trends of your numbers and you'll see a different side with certain "cold" numbers...

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: February 4, 2006, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

dvdiva,

As you can tell, the trick is to define (for yourself) exactly what "cold" is. No disagreement from me with any of those guys' points. I thought you were just referring to jackpot type games, though. In my own backtesting, I've seen it happen (3 or more of 5 numbers are "cold" by my definition) often enough to be interesting, but I don't chase every pattern I come across. Gotta leave something for the other guy.

I see the p3/p4 as a different beast altogether. The payout is order dependent and (here, last I checked, anyway), you get no "partial credit" for 2of3 or 3of4.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
                  Member #16612
                  June 2, 2005
                  3493 Posts
                  Posted: February 6, 2006, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

I usually pick my MM and PB fantasy numbers depend on which ones are cold and/or overdue because that number hasn't come up. However, I'm happy to find out that all numbers [1 to 42] in PB were the winning numbers of both WB and PB in a certain draw. It took almost 12 years to complete it.

anonymous77's avatar - moon
                    Seoul
                    Korea, South
                    Member #21859
                    September 16, 2005
                    346 Posts
                    Posted: February 7, 2006, 12:15 am - IP Logged

In Euro Millions, I sometimes fix one lucky number, especially when the jackpot gets very big. But, I seldom choose "cold" number as a base. Instead, I pick a hot number and mix it with some hot, medium, and cold numbers.

ånonymous77 - Primarily for fun and entertainment!

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                      Member #2338
                      September 17, 2003
                      2063 Posts
                      Posted: February 7, 2006, 3:04 am - IP Logged

I have to admit I didn't do any analysis of the cold numbers. 9 hadn't come up as a lucky star and was approaching the record number of drawings between the times it has shown up. It just seemed like a good idea to try and cover one of the lucky numbers so if it did come up it would increase my odds for my tickets winning. I think next time I will try to calculate a mean number they occur and go from there.

It's just that when jackpots get big you just want to try something to boost your odds. I have a feeling that now that I'm not playing it will come up like hypersoniq said.

Looks like I also have to brush up on statistics. Thanks for the advice everyone. 

United States
                        Member #9579
                        December 12, 2004
                        2121 Posts
                        Posted: February 7, 2006, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

yeah,check out the #40 in powerball.