Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 4:14 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is the Lottery (PB/MM) corrupt?

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 11 years ago by jim695.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
Member #15309
May 13, 2005
307 Posts
Posted: February 8, 2006, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

After reading Richwood's comments, my answer to the question:  Is the Powerball or Megamillions corrupt? - I don't know.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    United States
    Member #3013
    December 13, 2003
    3090 Posts
    Posted: February 8, 2006, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

Is the  Powerball or Megamillions corrupt?  I do not think so.  But can anyone cheat after the numbers are drawn? 

For example, if the drawing is at 7:59 p.m., can someone who has access to a terminal machine be able to get a ticket with the winning combination a split second after the numbers are known?  Or are those terminal machines perfectly synchronized and locked at exactly the same time before the draw so no one can get any tickets after the machines are locked?  Is it possible for a computer hacker to manipulate that machine so he can get the winning ticket from that machine after the draw, say, at 8 p.m., without anybody knowing?

Or am I asking a foolish question?  Anyway, I've been wondering about this for sometime.

If the draws is at 8:00 p.m. then the terminal will be shutdown for powerball sales at least one hour before the draw in each powerball jurisdiction.  Some like the state of Oregon has a two hour shut off time between the sale of the last ticket and the drawing itself.  I do not believe that Powerball is corrupt the game is designed to produce big jackpots and thus has long odds so people do not win all the time.

United States
      Member #31425
      January 29, 2006
      18 Posts
      Posted: February 9, 2006, 8:14 am - IP Logged

The manager of the Texas lottery over Drawings, said Gtech has control of all terminals switches. Yes the comment by CSFB about after the game is drawn can a terminal produce the winning numbers yes Gtech can. There is not one central button that shuts off each terminal. Its kinda like your lights, or water. They can shut off your lights if you don't pay the bill from their terminal. This does not shut off everyone elses lights. Every person that went to the polls and voted for a State lottery did not realize how the lottery would actually be operated. The Texas Governor appoints 3 Commissioners to over see the Entire running of the lottery. Under the Commissioners are the Director and Staff over different divisions of the lottery operations. Gtech controls all distribution of the scratch off tickets, and all lottery terminals including the software to run those terminals. I have seen people turned away from buying lottery tickets because they said the terminal is down. They then go to another retailer and purchase a ticket. The Texas Lottery Act does not allow a retailer to not sell tickets during playing hours but it happens. The State does not know when the terminals are out of play except when Gtech tells them. Corrupt you betcha! Where are the State Signs in each Retailer instructing the public to call a 1-800 number to report the terminals down?   How about a retailer taking home all the scratch off tickets this past Sunday Super Bowl day, because he feared he would be robed? He didn't tell the public that new scratch games had been given to him the day before Super Bow game. The entire lottery operation from beginning to end is not ran the way the paying public thought it would be. Texas loves to have a lot of secrecy in the information that the public gets. Enron had a lot of secrecy also including all companies involved with the schemes they ran. People want to (believe) that the lottery aren't corrupt but that thinking belongs to make believe land. When people write their local State represenatives and put pressure on them for more open and honest representation then you will find out Gtech is not honest or fair. Texas lottery officals have had a lot of employees terminated since the lottery began. If a person finds out that the lottery Director or others are lying to the paying public they get canned. The Enron trial is going on here in Houston, and I hope the jurors find both Ken Lay and Jeff Skilling guilty and lock them up forever. The justice department needs to investigate Gtech and the other gaming companies that supply the lotteries in each state. The poor keep getting poorer and the corrupt rich keep getting richer. Control of the money is what its all about. When people stop playing the lottery and stops buying the scratch off tickets, then you will find out what is really going on with the Officals involved with Gtech and the other Gaming companies. Most people that are appointed to commissioners do know how Gtech actually operates. They are told and recommended how to run games and follow these recommendations. The paying public is closed out, but told that the lottery is honest. The Director is suppose to keep the paying public believing, and as long as you play you are "believing". The man caught in Indiana with the million dollar scratch off is being represented by the ex lottery Director! Hummm wonder why? Trying to make sure that he doesn't blow the whistle on the corruption? When Texas Lottery Director was about to change from playing the 6/50 balls to 6/54 the Commissioners came to Houston, after changing the date 2 times for their visit, and listen to the people protest the changes. I was at this meeting and called for the drawing to be taken off the machines and hand drawn. The now famous Harriet Meirs who Bush picked for the Supreme court would not answer me when I spoke of the control of the machines and the drawings. A doctor got up and told them that the poorest people are gambling away their money and not getting a return. Many others spoke and demanded open honest games and it all fell on deaf ears. What the local news carried was the people hired by Gtech wanted the lottery changed. It was changed to 6/54 then agin to pick 5 and a bonus ball. Now because millions have stop playing the game they are going to change back to a straight 6 balls. Why the need forso many changes to begin with? The Commissioners and Director said sales had slipped so just change the game. They know why the revenue fell. People get tired of one person take all concept. This promotes greed concept. The Ceo's of America are promoting this type of concept to the point of taking Americans jobs away and sending them across the waters. This concept is for a few to have and the rest of us sheep keep spending so the few can keep on havin. Wake up people and demand change in the paying public interst. Someone commented and said you are not guarnteed to win anything when you play. Excuse me, but a portion of every dollar goes back to the State Treasury. Yes you are suppose to win every time you play. What was the lottery started for? To help the States raise revenue to pay for existing State agenys, and to give Tax relief to its citizens. Why hasn't this goal been met year after year? The Greed concept is in place, and until its removed you the playing pubic won't get the return of jobs with security, or lower State Taxes, or honest games. When my property tax increase every year while people keep donating, and the schools have cut every low paying job in the system then that donation is not being returned to the citizens. Follow the money trail. The confidential Lottery information for Indiana Lottery let the people of the United States understand where the tickets are going (is) controlled. What retailer has a winning lottery ticket (is) controlled. Now after having said all of this I am not opposed to a fair and open lottery. It can be very good for every State. What I oppose is the corruption in operating the lottery. The States would gain, players would gain, and even Gtech would gain as they collect a percentage of each games revenues for running it. But a few people in the State Government and Gtech and the other gaming companies love the way they set up the operations. Wonder why?

United States
        Member #33785
        February 24, 2006
        1 Posts
        Posted: February 24, 2006, 11:51 pm - IP Logged

All lotteries are rigged. I only play the mega millions because you never know when you'll get a fluke.

When you purchase a ticket, your number combination is logged and uploaded to the lottery system.

Its basically a simple database running on a UNIX OS where you can query it....similarly the way the assume information about you and send you junk mail. The database has a hot number, which is the lottery number in it. This lottery number is stored in every machine. If people pick automatic selection, it steers away from this number. If someone picks the number exactly, that statistic is uploaded into the mainframe and the number is regenerated according to the new entries in the database. Eventually, every single possible combination is picked during a drawing....which is possible....and the database chooses the coldest number or the number that has been least used.

When the drawing occurs, the balls NOT representing the the hot number are actually filled with heavy gasses so that they are least likely to rise in the machine....once in a while you get a fluke and one of the balls rises and you get a tiny payout.

The only way to get a true unfixed number would be to buy your ticket after the final computation has been done and the balls have already been rigged...which is unknown...could be anywhere from an hour to an hour.....by doing this, you are actually playing the real odds based on combinations.

Another way is by a fluke, when every number possible has bee selected (manually-not by automatic selection) and then the machine must pay out the coldest number combination.

The lottery terminals you see at the stores, gas stations, etc are like the enigmas. You would have to reverse engineer one without anyone know. If you steal one, the lottery commission will reupload their access codes to all the new machines........if you could reverse engineer it and decrypt the hot number, you will still have no change, because once you select the hot number, it will be changed...unless you do it after the final statistical generation......personall, i would hack the lottery network, and reprogram the database to give a false hot number....in my favor....so i would win......

Its like the nazis and the allies......we gotta get that enigma machine....

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
          PA
          United States
          Member #22983
          October 6, 2005
          2226 Posts
          Posted: February 25, 2006, 12:12 am - IP Logged

its absolutely feasible for a ball drawing to be rigged. Someone mentioned the PA scandel and that in itself is proof of it actually happening. If your asking in the current day and age, yes its possible but is it an allegation to be made...doubtful. The debate will remain whether either computer pick or machine balls are any better. They either produce a winning combination or they don't, and that is the bottom line.

I do suspect that some lottery retailers are corrupt or less then ethical in their practices but that is an entirely separate issue then the multi-state lotteries.

Yes that was me. Further proof that the lottery can be rigged easily. You just never know because you are not an insider. Although the risks would be very high, all it takes is paying the right people off.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #2338
            September 17, 2003
            2063 Posts
            Posted: February 25, 2006, 12:20 am - IP Logged

You only think it's rigged until you win.

PA
              United States
              Member #22983
              October 6, 2005
              2226 Posts
              Posted: February 25, 2006, 1:05 am - IP Logged

Unless you rig it to win yourself. But yes, until I win it is rigged. Even after I do win, it was still rigged. I just outsmarted it finally.

PA
                United States
                Member #33711
                February 24, 2006
                13 Posts
                Posted: February 25, 2006, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

It would be way to easy to rig computer and ball draws these days.The main computer that houses all the draws picked can keep a rolling database of numbers not played or least played very easily.In a computer draw the computer just has to output that number so the least amount of money has to be payed out.In a ball draw the ball set just has to be mixed with the correctly weighted balls and a few test draws conducted so that the resulting numbers picked come up every time.
                There is huge money to be made by all people and parties involved and we all know money talks.

The only way I think it could be fair is if all picks were kept locally until after the draw so the people conducting the draws have no idea what numbers where played until after the draw.I bet there would be alot more winners if it was done this way.

Sparta, NJ
                  United States
                  Member #18331
                  July 9, 2005
                  1977 Posts
                  Posted: February 25, 2006, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

Does it really matter if it is corrupt - or not corrupt?  Someone will win on any given day.  If it is you, then enjoy the fruits of that decision to buy a Quick Pick.  If it is not you, then buy another Quick Pick and hope you win this time.  If you can't enjoy a walk through the woods, without suspecting there is a Frenchman behind every tree, stay out of the forest.  The only thing paranoia gets you is a sore neck.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

PA
                    United States
                    Member #33711
                    February 24, 2006
                    13 Posts
                    Posted: February 25, 2006, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

Does it really matter if it is corrupt - or not corrupt?  Someone will win on any given day.  If it is you, then enjoy the fruits of that decision to buy a Quick Pick.  If it is not you, then buy another Quick Pick and hope you win this time.  If you can't enjoy a walk through the woods, without suspecting there is a Frenchman behind every tree, stay out of the forest.  The only thing paranoia gets you is a sore neck.

Quite true.We all still play and hope to win regardless of how honest we think the game is.The fact that there will be a winner still gives every player hope.

PA
                      United States
                      Member #22983
                      October 6, 2005
                      2226 Posts
                      Posted: February 25, 2006, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

Come on lotto, send some of that corruption my way for a change.

Sparta, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #18331
                        July 9, 2005
                        1977 Posts
                        Posted: February 25, 2006, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

Come on lotto, send some of that corruption my way for a change.

Theres nothing wrong with corruption.  It keeps thousands of politicians off of welfare!

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Warwick, R.I.
                          United States
                          Member #23315
                          October 10, 2005
                          32 Posts
                          Posted: February 26, 2006, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

OK guys and girls of LP. The real rigging is definately in your pick 3 and pick4 espeacially the state that I live in. The big little state of RI. Why do I say big? We probably had the most corrupt politicians in the history books to date. Who's to say that our lottery isn't corrupt either? I know a thing or 2 about computers and electronics, been in the business for 10+ years, and if I'm suspecting anything then its the States that have the Liability bet limit. Meaning this would be the most the state is willing to pay. Think about this for a minute? Do you really think the state would pay that limit if it was honestly met every draw? I tend to think not. G-tech is able to read every single number that has been played throughout the day. The state also has this power to see what has been played too. Let me run down a typical day when betting on pick 4 or pick3. Whenever your drawing goes off, 7:pm here in RI, an hour, or even half hour, before the drawing, a Gtech machine is able to simulate payouts on every number that has been played. These simulations are known at the actual drawing site were the number is publicly shown on TV. All they need to do is simulate again, about 10 min before the draw so there are no close calls, in case someone has bet the house on the same 4 digit number. These simulations can be seen within seconds before a draw. All they need to do is drop one ball that weighs an extra 4 or five ounces and your liability limit has been SAVED!! Why do you think there is a shut down 10 min before the drawing? Whew, then the state dodges another bullit from all the guys at LP. Oh and then the KENO Scenario? Wait until you here that one. I will save that story for another day. Don't worry I will live to tell it.

Best Luck to all here at LP

Columbia City, Indiana
                            United States
                            Member #2978
                            December 9, 2003
                            381 Posts
                            Posted: February 27, 2006, 11:30 am - IP Logged

Megatron said:

"All they need to do is drop one ball that weighs an extra 4 or five ounces and your liability limit has been SAVED!!"

____________________________________________________________________________________

Well, I can't argue with that logic ...

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim