Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 10:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

At what point (matrix) would you not play

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Greenwich, CT
United States
Member #4793
May 24, 2004
1822 Posts
Posted: February 7, 2006, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

Still spending $1 or $2 a couple times a month on the expanded Powerball and Mega games.

The games can only expand so much...if the odds get too great, it will take too long to build up a respectable (nowadays $300m+) jackpot, causing everyone to lose interest in the game. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19900 Posts
    Posted: February 7, 2006, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

If the odds of winning the PowerBall or MegaMillions jackpots ever become too large to attract the average lottery players, the people running these games will know by the reduced sales and they will adjust or go out of business.  If that happens another game will replace them. 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10391 Posts
      Posted: February 7, 2006, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

Certain rules of business apply to any business.

Competition always benefits the consumer, just something for the lotto people to think about.

One thing I can think of wopuld be to let people know when all the top prizes on a given scratcher have been paid out (besides just finding that out on the internet).

Another would be mandatory press releases for any matrix expansion- MegaMillions fed articles to the media about California joininh in and possible $500,000,000 jackpots - but it wasn't until people saw the new play slips that they realized the matrix increased. (At least some people did). 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19900 Posts
        Posted: February 7, 2006, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

Knowledge about a matrix change is always available before the drawings because play slips have to be printed long before ticket sales can start.  Clerks at retailers may not know and don't really care because selling lottery tickets is only part of their job.  If you want that kind of information you have to go to the lottery website.  The last time Ohio had a promotion giving out a free QP when $5 worth of tickets were bought, the clerk thought the extra ticket was hers to keep until I informed her that it was a promotional ticket for the players (ME).

Evil Looking       

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
          Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #1303
          March 27, 2003
          1508 Posts
          Posted: February 7, 2006, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

I don't bet more than #1 on the PB now. Regardless of how high the odds, I'd probably still bet a buck. But that's about all it's worth.  After all, each combination has the same odds against it.  You can't lower your odds any better by getting 100 tickets and spending $100 than you get spending $1 and getting one ticket.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10391 Posts
            Posted: February 7, 2006, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

RJOh

Not everyone is on the web (believe it or not!) and althought the play slips were printed, they couldn't go into play until the first game, thus that's when a lot of people saw them for the first time. And many didn't notice a difference.

Badger

I agree with you totally, but unbelievably I've heard people say if the play all the Powerball numbers (bottom grid) they'll at least get paid something, and maybe more than $3!

Let's see, risking $42 for a "guaranteed" $3, what's wrong with this picutre?

That's the kind of players the lotteries love.  

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19900 Posts
              Posted: February 7, 2006, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

As I said in my post, even some clerks selling lottery tickets aren't aware of lottery changes because they aren't interested, I assume players who are interested will go on the web or make a phone call to get the information.

Evil Looking       

Sparta, NJ
                United States
                Member #18331
                July 9, 2005
                1977 Posts
                Posted: February 7, 2006, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

Competition always benefits the consumer, just something for the lotto people to think about.

Don't let the cable companies in New Jersey hear you say that!!  I doubt the telephone and electric companies in most states would accept that concept either.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                  Member #13130
                  March 30, 2005
                  2171 Posts
                  Posted: February 8, 2006, 6:47 am - IP Logged

For me, part of the equation is the payout schedule. I'd rather go for the regular p5 & p6 games than the 5+1 games.

Remember, the lotteries target those who are bad at math. I suspect that when those predraws begin to detect more and more would-have-wons (you know someone, somewhere has seen their numbers in the predraw list) the matrix is increased.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                  Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10391 Posts
                    Posted: February 8, 2006, 10:15 am - IP Logged

time*treat

Yeah, a lot of people don't realize that the 5 + 1 games are actually two lotteries in one.