Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 11:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball Pools Legal or not?

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 11 years ago by TheGameGrl.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #32597
February 13, 2006
1 Posts
Posted: February 13, 2006, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

Hi all,

My friends and I have pooled our powerball buying power for years. This week, I mentioned it on a yahoo group that has people from several states and one friend from Canada. and offered if anyone wanted to put 20 in with us, we could expand the pool some to include them.  All heck broke out with people saying that doing powerball pools was illegal and we were all going to jail for sure. (sigh) So, I mentioned how there are lots of places to get in a pool, we were not charging anything, just offering maybe four or five people to join us. Can you guys tell me if we are wrong. Can we not buy powerball tickets in one state and if it wins something, send it on to our friends out of state? Are we going to Hell?

lol,

Thanks for letting me ask

Hermit

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19824 Posts
    Posted: February 13, 2006, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

If you are breaking the law, you might go to jail, but I don't know about Hell.  The possibility of going to Hell doesn't stop most law breakers. 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23260 Posts
      Posted: February 14, 2006, 7:31 am - IP Logged

They are not illegal, but they may be unwise.  There are many more legal problems with pools than with single winners.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
        Member #9579
        December 12, 2004
        2121 Posts
        Posted: February 14, 2006, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

there are office pools everywhere!

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: February 14, 2006, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

I think it is unlawful to send the actual ticket through the mail, across state lines, anyway.

There will be plenty of residents that didn't buy a ticket in the "Hot Spot", too. Play on!

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
            Member #9579
            December 12, 2004
            2121 Posts
            Posted: February 14, 2006, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

where i worked in nj,we chipped into a pool,and the one purchasing the tickets gave us all a photocopy.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23260 Posts
              Posted: February 14, 2006, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

where i worked in nj,we chipped into a pool,and the one purchasing the tickets gave us all a photocopy.

That's definitely the safe way to go.  Also, you should each have a photocopied list of every member of the pool, along with a brief statement saying that if a person's name is not on the list, then they have not contributed, and are not part of the pool, even if they have contributed in the past.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
                Member #16612
                June 2, 2005
                3493 Posts
                Posted: February 15, 2006, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

I think PB pools are legal, but only if you talk to a group based on my opinion. Photocopying is fine, but I should have a small group based on my opinion.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                  A long and winding road
                  United States
                  Member #17084
                  June 10, 2005
                  4525 Posts
                  Posted: February 15, 2006, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

Since a family member works for the post office I inquired if mailing a lottery ticket is illegal. His response.NO  (read up on mailing in claims - ya gotta enclose the ticket  & the form) So think about it. Why would it be illegal if the states even endorse the use of the postal system to file claims?

I asked if its illegal to buy a ticket from another state and take it across state lines. The answer from the attorney general. No

When I wrote to my state to ask about lottery pools. They did say they are not promoted or prohibited. So they leave it at the *adults* discretion. 

Contact your own state lottery to see what regulations they may have in place for lottery claims and or lottery pools who are claiming large prizes.

The concept of a Lottery pool isnt a negative idea. Its the negativity of some of its supposed claimants that make it a negative experience.  My group is  mature,positive, and carries a minimal amout of players. Thus allowing us a reasonable payback when we win :)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014