Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are instant games trustworthy to play?

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
stephi's avatar - winifrid
rural lowcountry, south carolina
United States
Member #31677
February 2, 2006
196 Posts
Posted: February 15, 2006, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

A co-worker once told me that retail clerks know when a winning ticket will be after so many tickets. So what they do is after 100 or so tickets, tear off the ticket(s) for themselves. I was wondering if there was any truth to that. That is why I don't currently play instant games. Thank you.

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    51218 Posts
    Posted: February 15, 2006, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

Maybe you should ask one of the retail clerks.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19902 Posts
      Posted: February 15, 2006, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

Do you know of any retail clerks getting rich buying scratch-off lottery tickets?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

crookston MN
        United States
        Member #23229
        October 9, 2005
        297 Posts
        Posted: February 15, 2006, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

I am a convenience store manager and i have never heard of that happening!!

i have caught a few employees playing on duty which is not allowed but we do not know where the winners are!!

United States
          Member #31677
          February 2, 2006
          196 Posts
          Posted: February 16, 2006, 10:04 am - IP Logged

Dear Folks,

Thank you for information. Haven't seen or heard of any clerks doing well off of them.

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            51218 Posts
            Posted: February 16, 2006, 10:49 am - IP Logged

If you do a search of LP News Forums you'll find some stories about Lottery Agents that were scanning the Tickets for Winners and then selling the losers and keeping the Winners for themselves. Those folks got caught and are in Jail now. Smile Alot of folks won't accept Lottery Tickets that have been torn off the roll or for some reason have become separated from their adjacent consecutive numbered tickets.

United States
              Member #31677
              February 2, 2006
              196 Posts
              Posted: February 17, 2006, 10:15 am - IP Logged

Thank you  very much Miss Raven for the valuable information. I do appreciate it. Thank you.

tweetietoo's avatar - lady narrisa.png
                Georgia
                United States
                Member #18517
                July 13, 2005
                1256 Posts
                Posted: February 17, 2006, 8:09 pm - IP Logged
                ATLANTA – A Midway woman is enjoying a King Kong-sized half-million dollar Georgia Lottery prize. Shirley Osborne played King Kong and won the instant game’s $500,000 top prize.

Mrs. Osborne, a retail manager, scratched her lucky ticket at home. “I jumped up and down and twirled around in circles!” she exclaims.

Sunbury Country Store, located at 3584 Islands Hwy. in Midway, sold the winning ticket.

Mrs. Osborne, 46, and her husband, Barry, plan to invest, pay bills and help their family. According to Mrs. Osborne, she has already picked out a brand-new car for her daughter, Jennifer, who celebrated a birthday on Jan. 11

She was the store Manager...

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                  A long and winding road
                  United States
                  Member #17084
                  June 10, 2005
                  4580 Posts
                  Posted: February 17, 2006, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

Best advice- use an automated lottery dispenser machine. Less tampering and most often only the manager or lottery employee's load the machines with new tickets. The downside of these  machines....you have to wait anywhere from 10-20 days for any re-imbursement from jammed machines that take your money without dispensing your game tickets.

Its absolutely feasible and probable that an employee could pre-scan for winning tickets. I've seen it done and no longer stop at that convenience store....

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

Miss Bee's avatar - strawberry
                    nashville
                    United States
                    Member #4990
                    June 8, 2004
                    1376 Posts
                    Posted: February 18, 2006, 10:20 am - IP Logged

In order to pre scan in Tennessee you have to scratch off the 3 digit code at the bottom of the ticket, easy enough to spot for people who play regularly  but for those who don't could be a problem, There was a store here that I used to buy scratch off tickets from, one morning I bought 2 ten dollar tickets and the codes were showing at the bottom I watched the clerk take them from the roll and tear them off, meaning they wre not loose tickets, I gave them back to here and told her what this meant, she said she didn't know anything about it, I contacted the lottery rep for that store, and this was not the first complaint. If you purchase a 10.00 ticket you at least want to have a shot, to purchase one that is already a known loser isn't quite fair, for elderly and or foriegn people who might play would not think to look for this, It really upset me a lot. The sales clerk is no longer employed there along with two others.

Everyone should be observant when purchasing instant tickets.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                      Wisconsin
                      United States
                      Member #1303
                      March 27, 2003
                      1508 Posts
                      Posted: February 18, 2006, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

A co-worker once told me that retail clerks know when a winning ticket will be after so many tickets. So what they do is after 100 or so tickets, tear off the ticket(s) for themselves. I was wondering if there was any truth to that. That is why I don't currently play instant games. Thank you.

That's one of those Urban Myths.  The clerks don't have a clue.  I know of a couple that went into debt buying scratch -offs and losing.....the fact they are in such close proximity to the tickets isn't good for some of them.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                        A long and winding road
                        United States
                        Member #17084
                        June 10, 2005
                        4580 Posts
                        Posted: February 19, 2006, 8:25 am - IP Logged

Badger- Re-read some of the accurate post. THere is no urban myth on this matter. Its absolutely feasible and has been attempted by some lottery retailer employees. One doesnt need the "three digit code" to scan the ticket for it to indicate its a winner. The three digit code unlocks the amount of the winning ticket. Otherwise its absolutely probable that a ticket can be scanned and it can indicate if its a winner. These are two separate issues.  Receiving non sequential tickets from a clerk is a good indication to go elsewhere.

As to winning tickets not being in the first 100, now that is probably untrue...Ive hit $50 on a ticket that was early in a ticket roll.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

Sparta, NJ
                          United States
                          Member #18331
                          July 9, 2005
                          1977 Posts
                          Posted: February 19, 2006, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

I haven't played scratch-off's for over a year; because of what I read here.  Two years ago, I repeatidly went to the same store and bought Win For Life tickets.  I never Won For Life, but made lots of money off the roll they had.  Then the rolls sold out and they went to a new roll.  Never won a thing.  After around a hundred dollars, I quit going back.  Then quit scratch offs completely.  Crooks?  I doubt it.  They just got shipped a losing roll and I was unable to find a place where I would win.  NJ has a web site where they brag about the winners.  I notice that last year, the bragging has died off quite a bit from the previous year.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                            Wisconsin
                            United States
                            Member #1303
                            March 27, 2003
                            1508 Posts
                            Posted: February 19, 2006, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

Badger- Re-read some of the accurate post. THere is no urban myth on this matter. Its absolutely feasible and has been attempted by some lottery retailer employees. One doesnt need the "three digit code" to scan the ticket for it to indicate its a winner. The three digit code unlocks the amount of the winning ticket. Otherwise its absolutely probable that a ticket can be scanned and it can indicate if its a winner. These are two separate issues.  Receiving non sequential tickets from a clerk is a good indication to go elsewhere.

As to winning tickets not being in the first 100, now that is probably untrue...Ive hit $50 on a ticket that was early in a ticket roll.

Then there are a LOT of stupid clerks out there. I know of more than a couple that got into money trouble by buying tickets where they work when they were on duty....and losing over and over again.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: February 20, 2006, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

I haven't played scratch-off's for over a year; because of what I read here.  Two years ago, I repeatidly went to the same store and bought Win For Life tickets.  I never Won For Life, but made lots of money off the roll they had.  Then the rolls sold out and they went to a new roll.  Never won a thing.  After around a hundred dollars, I quit going back.  Then quit scratch offs completely.  Crooks?  I doubt it.  They just got shipped a losing roll and I was unable to find a place where I would win.  NJ has a web site where they brag about the winners.  I notice that last year, the bragging has died off quite a bit from the previous year.

Of course you never won Lose for Life. You're not allowed to by law LOL