Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 2:29 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Not to do with lottery

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Blackie.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
Norfolk , Va
United States
Member #4541
May 2, 2004
25172 Posts
Posted: February 15, 2006, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

Didnt know where to go with this but since I have came to know some of you I wanted to ask what you think. My delema is that I was suppose to be going back to a ship I work on 21 Feb. I took 70 days off. I hold Merchant Marine papers which you need to work on these ships. Was out of work for 2 years due to a bad accident and on heavy narcotics. The time has come to renew my papers throught the US Coast Guard. In the renewal process you need a fit to work. Cant get a fit to work taking narcotics. Coast Guard want you to start the application 1 year ahead of when your papers expire. They have to do an FBI background check as part of Homeland Security. When they do that if the find you weren't exactly an angel in your youth you cant get your papers renewed. If 30 years ago you followed the crowd and smoked a joint and was arrested you cant renew your papers and lose your job that you have been doing for 30 yrs. A DUI 20 yrs ago and the same thing saying you have bad habits of life. I have alot of friends in this situation now. What do you think about this please.

Thanks for the input. 

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31537 Posts
    Posted: February 16, 2006, 12:01 am - IP Logged

blackie - wouldn't a note from your doc help?

love to nibble those micey feet.

Bluegrass's avatar - nw archer.jpg
      Killer's Cove
      United States
      Member #57
      December 17, 2001
      5661 Posts
      Posted: February 16, 2006, 12:07 am - IP Logged

blackie - wouldn't a note from your doc help?

Blackie, I feel for you !  I too, had MM papers back in the early '60s after leaving the Navy and after going through the Maritime union and shuffling stacks of papers...finally decided that it was not worth it.  I do think MissKitty gave you some excellent advice, please keep us updated on your situation.

Good Luck to you my friend.  Bob /bg

US Flag    Life i$ good !  US Flagbg

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8393 Posts
        Posted: February 16, 2006, 12:16 am - IP Logged

Blackie your right a lot of things are changed now because of homeland security but. I think if you were active are still active that you'll be ok. Felony convictions might be a problem but misdemeanors I think not. A dui while a problem for some who have multiple arrests. Are not a big deal for holding seaman's papers. Prescribed medicine come with warnings however if you are released from doctors care and are fit for work what you took while under doctors care isn't anybody's business except yours and the doctors. Anything that happened 20 years ago is more than likely squashed. Buried in some file cabinet or on microfilm they didn't rely on computers back then much. Drivers records can be expunged if no offenses (moving violations points, etc.) within a given time frame.

Norfolk , Va
          United States
          Member #4541
          May 2, 2004
          25172 Posts
          Posted: February 16, 2006, 12:26 am - IP Logged

Thanks Emily and Bluegrass.    I'm off of the narcotics thank god ( i hated then after so long ) but the USCG didnt seem too thrilled that I waited so long to renew my papers. Had no choice though. I hope to have mine renewed within 2 months and the company told the union they will allow me to take a trip off in hopes that everything will be ok in another month after 21 feb. My thing is that I have friends left and right losing papers over things they did 20 and 30 yrs ago.These are folks I sailed around the world with. I'm also not happy that Mr GW and Mr Cheney had a DUI in their youth and no one took away their right to work and make a living. Bluegrass, I know what you mean about all the paperwork but in the end it would have been worth it until this Homeland Security thing. Apparently there was a raid a couple of years ago in Afganistan where they found terrorist (8 of them ) with US Merchant papers. Now it's a big problem.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

Norfolk , Va
            United States
            Member #4541
            May 2, 2004
            25172 Posts
            Posted: February 16, 2006, 12:35 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the input Four4me. Your right in what you are saying but believe it or not one guy I know lost his papers for having a gun without a permit 17 yrs ago and another for a drug charge that the Judge said would be off of his record if he go through rehab. He was under the impression it was off of his record and when he renewed his papers they took them for making a false statement when asked if he was ever arrested. That was 3 yrs ago. I has gotten worse now. They want to go back to when you were a Juvinile. BTW , I was up in your neck of the woods about a week and a half ago in Baltimore at the Coast Guard office. 

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
              Member #14
              November 9, 2001
              31537 Posts
              Posted: February 16, 2006, 12:43 am - IP Logged

Thanks Emily and Bluegrass.    I'm off of the narcotics thank god ( i hated then after so long ) but the USCG didnt seem too thrilled that I waited so long to renew my papers. Had no choice though. I hope to have mine renewed within 2 months and the company told the union they will allow me to take a trip off in hopes that everything will be ok in another month after 21 feb. My thing is that I have friends left and right losing papers over things they did 20 and 30 yrs ago.These are folks I sailed around the world with. I'm also not happy that Mr GW and Mr Cheney had a DUI in their youth and no one took away their right to work and make a living. Bluegrass, I know what you mean about all the paperwork but in the end it would have been worth it until this Homeland Security thing. Apparently there was a raid a couple of years ago in Afganistan where they found terrorist (8 of them ) with US Merchant papers. Now it's a big problem.

and i bet you didn't shoot a friend.  lol    Patriot

love to nibble those micey feet.

Norfolk , Va
                United States
                Member #4541
                May 2, 2004
                25172 Posts
                Posted: February 16, 2006, 12:45 am - IP Logged

Thats funny Emily, I wonder what will come of that one.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

Norfolk , Va
                  United States
                  Member #4541
                  May 2, 2004
                  25172 Posts
                  Posted: February 16, 2006, 12:47 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the input . Have to be up early .  Good luck tomorrow.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

United States
                    Member #21574
                    September 11, 2005
                    138 Posts
                    Posted: February 16, 2006, 12:52 am - IP Logged

It does NOT matter if you "use" or are just having a bad day.

Being a crewmember means being a TEAM player. I doubt a ship holds much tolerance for negligence due to impairment. (Exxon Valdez) I don't know what your specific job is however, I do know you and every crewman has a FIRE station assignment in the event of that type of emergency. Now, peoples lives are at stake. People depending on YOU just like you depend on them.

The best judge for your fitness for duty at any time is ultimately YOU. Do you want to be held responsible for the lives of your fellow crew if you know in your heart you are NOT FIT ? (it can happen to ANYONE at ANYTIME) Imagine a SWAT cop who gets an eye injury on the job DOING his job. He chooses to NOT REPORT that he never fully recovers but that does not change the fact he has bills, a family who dependes on him to provide and a pension to protect; not to mention ALL his fellow officers. So come one day, YOU are in the bank doing your business when some thug botches a robbery attempt and takes you hostage. Who do YOU depend on to save YOU ? SWAT is called, several shooters take up positions including our friend with the bad eye who happens to be the one cop who reports HE has the shot. Do YOU want him to take it ?

I'm NOT trying to kick a downed horse, rather suggest that it may be time to move on. We all want to do the type of work we enjoy however, that NEVER gives anyone the right to place others in peril just to satisfy our personal needs.

The man has a plan for you life including choices and obsticles. Use your choices to ask for the wisdom to navigate the obsticles.

.....surely goodness and mercy will FOLLOW me all the days of my life

---   OR   ---

.....surely your grace will CLEAR the path BEFORE me all the days of my life

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                      Tennessee
                      United States
                      Member #7853
                      October 15, 2004
                      11338 Posts
                      Posted: February 16, 2006, 6:28 am - IP Logged

everybody does wild things when they are young.they are being way to picky in the way they do things such as having a clean record your whole life.like you said even the president and vice president have DUI'S from younger days.thats part of growing up.they will lose a lot of good people doing what they are doing to you.i think they ought to loosen up a little bit........

Norfolk , Va
                        United States
                        Member #4541
                        May 2, 2004
                        25172 Posts
                        Posted: February 16, 2006, 8:43 am - IP Logged

Thanks GuessWhat.  Thats was an interesting reply. You are right about people depending on others im my field of work like any other type of employment. What I cant understand is that if the US Government went  and did such a background check on everyone that has a job to do and they went back to everyones teen years, it seems to me that at least 65 to 70 pecent of the work force will be out of a job. I may be wrong but the maritime industry is the only industry doing this right now. As far as my position on the ship , I am the ships Bosun and yes I depend on crewmembers to be alert and sober just like they depend on me. I have been doing this line of work since 1977 and kind of got to where I dont know anything else and truthfully like my job. Anyway, thanks for the input , it was interesting to read it.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

Norfolk , Va
                          United States
                          Member #4541
                          May 2, 2004
                          25172 Posts
                          Posted: February 16, 2006, 8:48 am - IP Logged

Thanks LottoMike , Your right, they are losing alot ogf good people that I know over this for something that they had done many years ago. Not real bad things but things teens do and a DUI or 2, no more in their 20's. They are in thier 50's now. The Coast Guard is calling it Bad "habits of life".

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

four4me's avatar - gate1
                            MD
                            United States
                            Member #1701
                            June 18, 2003
                            8393 Posts
                            Posted: February 16, 2006, 11:20 am - IP Logged

Thanks LottoMike , Your right, they are losing alot ogf good people that I know over this for something that they had done many years ago. Not real bad things but things teens do and a DUI or 2, no more in their 20's. They are in thier 50's now. The Coast Guard is calling it Bad "habits of life".

Blackie:
                            This may be an act of attrition more than anything else weeding out you old guys in favor of a younger crew. I've seen it happen everywhere. They get rid of the old the sick and disabled by finding fault somewhere in their history folder. Then the use it against or find anything in your recent work to compound their reasoning to find faults and record them. This way when they let you go they have established reason for dismissal. It's all a crock Americans have rights. Might be a good time for your friends to call the EEOC.
                              Norfolk , Va
                              United States
                              Member #4541
                              May 2, 2004
                              25172 Posts
                              Posted: February 16, 2006, 11:46 am - IP Logged

Yeah , Four4me . I seem to fit most of that bill, Sick , somewhat disabled to a degree but always work hard and long hours when I work. Usually 8 am until 10 pm 7 days a week sometimes more. Pretty sad that they have to weed out the older folks, some that has been through about 3 or 4 wars.  Korea, Viet-nam , First Gulf if they want to call it a war and now the second. Most of the WW2 folks have passed or retired now.

Thanks again.

Good Luck,

Blackie.