Welcome Guest
You last visited December 13, 2017, 1:26 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Remaining Anonymous for Winners?

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 12 years ago by dvdiva.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
N/A
United States
Member #4612
May 8, 2004
9 Posts
Posted: February 17, 2006, 12:28 am - IP Logged

Ok, the powerball right now is 365 Million right now and it makes many people dream(well, I even dream when it is at 12 mil)...

Anyway, how would a jackpot winner remain anonymous?

I've heard people can setup a blind trust or something like that.  How does that work and what type of fees are associated with that?

Tell me your thoughts. 

United States
    Member #24439
    October 22, 2005
    638 Posts
    Posted: February 17, 2006, 12:34 am - IP Logged

Search for the topic

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10547 Posts
      Posted: February 17, 2006, 12:38 am - IP Logged

I'm not sure you can do it.

I keep hearing over and over that either the play slip or the back of the ticket, the actual ticket, is itself a press release. If you culd remain anonymous it would probably be the best move you could make, but I'm not sure you can. Especially not with Mega Millions and Powerball.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10547 Posts
        Posted: February 17, 2006, 12:51 am - IP Logged

OK, this is from the Powerball website, the FAQ's page:

CAN I REMAIN ANONYMOUS WHEN I HIT THE JACKPOT?

All but three states (DE, KS, ND) have laws that require the lottery to release the name and city of residence to anyone who asks. One state (SC) will keep your name secret if you request it, but if someone files a Freedom of Information Act request, you may have to file a plea with the judge to deny it.
        Photos and press conferences are always up to you. Most of the time, it advisable to get it over with the press so that you don't have one or more reporters following you around to get that "exclusive" interview. A few more lotteries may work with you on setting up a trust or other partnership. You should contact the lottery for the details after you win.

http://www.powerball.com/pb_contact.asp

I want to see someone take them up "press conferences are up to you", especially on a record setting jackpot.

Smile 

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
          Member #2338
          September 17, 2003
          2063 Posts
          Posted: February 17, 2006, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

Depends on the state. In WA state (a megamillions state) the winner can put the winnings in a trust and devide the money how they want. They can also remain anonymous. In OR state the winner has to be a person (no trusts) and can not divide the money the way they want. I guess the next winner in OR might have to sue to gain that right. It's better to check the actual rules and state laws of the state you play in and not base it on a third party site.