Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Canada joining Powerball or Mega Millions

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think at least one Canadian province wil join one of the U.S. multi-state games.

Powerball Canada-wide. [ 2 ]  [8.33%]
Mega Millions Canada-wide. [ 2 ]  [8.33%]
Some provinces will get PB, others will get MM. [ 5 ]  [20.83%]
No. [ 15 ]  [62.50%]
Total Valid Votes [ 24 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  

United States
Member #1826
July 11, 2003
2645 Posts
Posted: February 18, 2006, 3:47 am - IP Logged

MUSL already has a patent on a multi-currency system (for the dead Blue Game project), and the Mega Millions group could come up with their own system. Also, most Canadians already know about these games because so much of U.S. culture gets exposed north of the border. So, do you think the Provincial lotteries will bring "America's Game" and, um, "Monica Kauffman's Game?" north of the border.

(insert signature here)

starchild_45's avatar - spherewall2
    kent, washington
    United States
    Member #3509
    January 26, 2004
    465 Posts
    Posted: February 18, 2006, 3:51 am - IP Logged

the question i want to know is how are they going to keep track of the changing dollar. will they have to buy the tickets with US greenbacks up north? i know the europeans have the euro but we don't have a common currency.

side note. i go up every few months just to get me a 6/49 and super7 subscription. i win from time to time and that makes me happy.

barbos's avatar - gold bar-and-cash1.jpg
      California
      United States
      Member #23908
      October 17, 2005
      122 Posts
      Posted: February 18, 2006, 4:40 am - IP Logged

the question i want to know is how are they going to keep track of the changing dollar. will they have to buy the tickets with US greenbacks up north? i know the europeans have the euro but we don't have a common currency.

side note. i go up every few months just to get me a 6/49 and super7 subscription. i win from time to time and that makes me happy.

I used to live in US just 5 min away from Canadian border and all stores there including big grocery ones accept canadian money, just posting daily adjustments on currency value... so greenbacks is no problem if they really want it.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
        Yinzer Country, PA
        United States
        Member #4067
        March 18, 2004
        2741 Posts
        Posted: February 18, 2006, 5:02 am - IP Logged

I brought up the idea of Powerball going international to the MUSL a long while ago.  They said that they were not interested at this time.

The way I see it now is that eventually they are going to run out of states to lure into the game and either remain static at the states in the game or expand it internationally.  couldn't they allow the sales of Powerball at duty-free stores in Canada.  Don't they accept American curency?

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Sparta, NJ
          United States
          Member #18331
          July 9, 2005
          1977 Posts
          Posted: February 18, 2006, 7:18 am - IP Logged

I used to live in US just 5 min away from Canadian border and all stores there including big grocery ones accept canadian money, just posting daily adjustments on currency value... so greenbacks is no problem if they really want it.

Which explains why half the so called quarters I get don't work in the vending machines!  Cheap foriegn coins being slipped past the cashiers as American money.  A few weeks ago I bought a roll of quarters.  Half were Canadian, Euro, and other useless coins.  Couldn't throw them across the river of I had to, they don't spend money to make money there!

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
            Member #379
            June 5, 2002
            11296 Posts
            Posted: February 18, 2006, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

I would LOVE to see Canada join one or the other...and we get jealous over a Canadian winner not having to pay tax on their lump sum...

Morrison, IL
              United States
              Member #4657
              May 13, 2004
              1884 Posts
              Posted: February 18, 2006, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

I brought up the idea of Powerball going international to the MUSL a long while ago.  They said that they were not interested at this time.

The way I see it now is that eventually they are going to run out of states to lure into the game and either remain static at the states in the game or expand it internationally.  couldn't they allow the sales of Powerball at duty-free stores in Canada.  Don't they accept American curency?

What a shame. Powerball will run out of states so we aren't going to see another increase in the matrix.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #1340
                April 6, 2003
                2450 Posts
                Posted: February 18, 2006, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

Jeb Bush can't stay the gov. of Florida forever... I pick them for the next PB state.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #2338
                  September 17, 2003
                  2063 Posts
                  Posted: February 18, 2006, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

I would say it's just as likely as Mega or Powerball only offering tax free cash instead of an annuity.

United States
                    Member #33540
                    February 22, 2006
                    1 Posts
                    Posted: February 22, 2006, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

I think the more the marrier.... more people - more jackpot!

Toronto
                      Canada
                      Member #5142
                      June 20, 2004
                      47 Posts
                      Posted: February 23, 2006, 9:46 am - IP Logged

Here's some information on the new OLGC game they are contemplating. The structure and format should be similar to this with slight changes.

National Lotto Game
                      Choose 6 numbers from 1 to 47 and a SUPER BALL number from 1 to 10.

Price: $3 for 3 sets of numbers

Jackpots start at $4 Million and reach up to $50 Million.

GREEN

Play Super 7 Green Game by choosing 6 numbers from 1 to 47 then selecting a SUPER BALL number from a separate set of numbers ranging from 1 to 10. YOU WILL THEN receive 2 additional sets of computer generated numbers. Can be played with a selection slip or by quick pick.

Every Friday, 6 numbers will be drawn from a pool of 47, plus a SUPER BALL number will be drawn from a separate set of numbers ranging from 1 to 10.

The Super 7 Green Game would replace the current Super 7 game.

Price: $3 for 3 sets of numbers.

Jackpots: Starts at $4 Million and grows by $3 Million if not won. The jackpot can reach up to $50 Million each year.

Super 7 GREEN Prize Structure
                      6 Numbers drawn
                      from 1 to 47 Superball
                      (1 to 10) Win
                      Match 6/6 Match Superball Win Jackpot Prize
                      Match 6/6 $260 000*
                      Match 5/6 Match Superball $6300*
                      Match 5/6 $900*
                      Match 4/6 Match Superball $150*
                      Match 4/6 $20
                      Match 3/6 Match Superball $10
                      Match 3/6 $5
                      Match 2/6 Match Superball SUPER 7 Free Play
                      ($3 value)
                      Match 1/6 Match Superball SUPER 7 Free Play
                      ($3 value)

Odds of Winning

6 Numbers drawn
                      from 1 to 47 Superball (1 to 10) Win Odds of Winning
                      Per $3 Play
                      Match 6/6 Match Superball Win Jackpot Prize 1 in 35,791,910
                      Match 6/6 $260 000* 1 in 3,976,879
                      Match 5/6 Match Superball $6300* 1 in 145,496
                      Match 5/6 $900* 1 in 16,166
                      Match 4/6 Match Superball $150* 1 in 2,910
                      Match 4/6 $20 1 in 323
                      Match 3/6 Match Superball $10 1 in 168
                      Match 3/6 $5 1 in 19
                      Match 2/6 Match Superball SUPER 7 Free Play ($3 value) 1 in 24
                      Match 1/6 Match Superball SUPER 7 Free Play ($3 value) 1 in 8
                      Any Prize 1 in 4.3

* approximate...amounts will vary

Annual Payments's avatar - annual 20payments.jpg
                        Houston, TX
                        United States
                        Member #9841
                        December 23, 2004
                        236 Posts
                        Posted: March 2, 2006, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

I would LOVE to see Canada join one or the other...and we get jealous over a Canadian winner not having to pay tax on their lump sum...

Cash only, the Canadians would have the smarts to take annual payments :-)

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10345 Posts
                          Posted: March 2, 2006, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

starchild_45 has a point about the changing dollars. Aslo, as far as I know, the US is the only country that taxes gambling winnings. Might create a lot of problems if you have a lottery where people on one side of the border are taxed and those on the other side aren't.

Might also "create" some "new Candaians"! if not taxing winnings outside the US is still the case and it's be the difference between forking over millions in taxes, or not!

Sparta, NJ
                            United States
                            Member #18331
                            July 9, 2005
                            1977 Posts
                            Posted: March 2, 2006, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

Why would a foriegn company want to do business in America?  Why reduce your standards, impact your integrity, and take harrassement for the effort?  The glory days are over!  We now need their money, they don't need ours.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: March 3, 2006, 10:06 am - IP Logged

starchild_45 has a point about the changing dollars. Aslo, as far as I know, the US is the only country that taxes gambling winnings. Might create a lot of problems if you have a lottery where people on one side of the border are taxed and those on the other side aren't.

Might also "create" some "new Candaians"! if not taxing winnings outside the US is still the case and it's be the difference between forking over millions in taxes, or not!

Jamaica taxes lottery winnings. AFAIK it's a flat 15%.