Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

winning ticket for powerball in Neb.

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Down.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

China
Member #33011
February 18, 2006
16 Posts
Posted: February 19, 2006, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

damn!!!!! thats a third of the winning.....still a big amount of money and many dreams can be achieve with that but as i was saying on another thread........... has anyone ever tried to sell the ticket to a highest bidder for a better fee than the one offered by the lottery and then the lucky bidder would claim the ticket with the annuity for a 30yr profit?
i guess even if it happened before, we will never know!!!

Sparta, NJ
    United States
    Member #18331
    July 9, 2005
    1977 Posts
    Posted: February 19, 2006, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

So who would bid higher then the actual value?  Who, in the Fortune 500, would be dumb enough to bid $200M, for a $150M valued ticket?  Besides, the taxes would double.  The taxes on the win, and the taxes on the sale.  Has happened before, and been documented here in multiple posts.  Some people are still in court trying to fix the mess they got themselves in.

Take the $100M you have today, but didn't have yesterday, and live.  Try being too clever and you can lose it all.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

EU
      Estonia
      Member #4217
      April 1, 2004
      25 Posts
      Posted: February 19, 2006, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

Sorry, about $108M (because of 35% federal tax  and 6% state tax). There are no wizer choices than take one time lump sum and I belive that most of people in here agree with me.

China
        Member #33011
        February 18, 2006
        16 Posts
        Posted: February 19, 2006, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

if the winner sells the ticket before claiming it then only one tax to be paid and i am sure paying 150mill for a 360mill winning ticket, would make the winning bidder some good change over the anuity deal!
        thanks for the info, i didnt know it had been tried and had messy outcomes.........will search through the threads!
        peace

United States
          Member #10720
          January 23, 2005
          933 Posts
          Posted: February 19, 2006, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

When Whittaker won 314 million he got like 112 million after taxes. Why is the amount LOWER on a HIGHER jackpot? Have they changed the formula or the ratios? I think Mega did.

I would have taken the annuity.. I don't see how about 500K clear a month for 20-something years is not enough to live on.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
            Mcminnville, Oregon
            United States
            Member #3013
            December 13, 2003
            3047 Posts
            Posted: February 19, 2006, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

When jack won the cash value was equal to about 56% of the annuity now the annuity is five more years longer and the cash value is equal to 48% of the annuity.  Plus the annuity is 30 year graduated payments.-weshar75

Sparta, NJ
              United States
              Member #18331
              July 9, 2005
              1977 Posts
              Posted: February 19, 2006, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

When jack won the cash value was equal to about 56% of the annuity now the annuity is five more years longer and the cash value is equal to 48% of the annuity.  Plus the annuity is 30 year graduated payments.-weshar75

I was trying to explain that to some one in the long line yesterday.  Didn't come near to making it as clear as you did.

Cheers

China
                Member #33011
                February 18, 2006
                16 Posts
                Posted: February 19, 2006, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

in my caculation if someone wins 360mill and i go by "acme" taxes fee of 41 percent then i get a total left of 212mill(to be spread over 30yrs).....so if the lottery were offering lets say 120mill(as a lump sum).......selling it for around 160mill(to be paid in an offshore account) and giving the winning bidder a 52mill profit over 30yrs is not a bad deal!!!!
                i am searching for the past threads on the subject but cant find any...

Sparta, NJ
                  United States
                  Member #18331
                  July 9, 2005
                  1977 Posts
                  Posted: February 19, 2006, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

When Whittaker won 314 million he got like 112 million after taxes. Why is the amount LOWER on a HIGHER jackpot? Have they changed the formula or the ratios? I think Mega did.

I would have taken the annuity.. I don't see how about 500K clear a month for 20-something years is not enough to live on.

Why would you take the annuity?  For the next 26 years, you would be at the whim of any government, state, county, or city lawmaker who wants a few more dollars to spend on a pet project.  Lottery money's are just laying there waiting to be taxed at whatever rate a politician could raise it to.  Look around you, states are growing broke.  They have already used up the Tobacco money, in the next few years, they will be going as deep as they can.  Taxpayers will never complain about raising the tax on lottery winnings; you didn't deserve it any way, they did. 

Today the Terroist are concentrating on Iraq.  Where will their target be in five or ten years?  How good will the twenty-six year investment be if the Terrorist attack again, massively?  DC, LA, NYC, Boston, Atlanta, Dallas, Detroit, all at once.  Panic in Wall Street and anything that resembles it.  Bye-bye annuity guarantee! 

Get the cash, control your own destiny.  Better to make the right/wrong investments, then have no control over any of it.

Cheers

Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #29196
                    December 29, 2005
                    280 Posts
                    Posted: February 19, 2006, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

Well said Chewie except the annuity is 30 years now.  (Which only serves to highlight your point.)

Jim 

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                      Beautiful Florida
                      United States
                      Member #5709
                      July 18, 2004
                      20108 Posts
                      Posted: February 19, 2006, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

I've said it all along, do the math...  Take the money and run. Taxes go up, they don't go down.... in thirty years the taxes could take another 10-15 % on top of what you're already being taxed.And as "chewie has said, what if they do attack in massive locals,you can definately "Kiss" your annuity good-bye.!

Better to have "pocket change", than no change in your pocket. Take the lump sum.

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

wreakshavok777's avatar - enzyte thumb.jpg
                        oklahoma
                        United States
                        Member #12313
                        March 10, 2005
                        165 Posts
                        Posted: February 19, 2006, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

in my caculation if someone wins 360mill and i go by "acme" taxes fee of 41 percent then i get a total left of 212mill(to be spread over 30yrs).....so if the lottery were offering lets say 120mill(as a lump sum).......selling it for around 160mill(to be paid in an offshore account) and giving the winning bidder a 52mill profit over 30yrs is not a bad deal!!!!
                        i am searching for the past threads on the subject but cant find any...

Geez ....whatever the winning amount is ..its enough to buy all the cornfields in Bug-a-ha...err I mean Omaha!Big Smile and build a frigging dome stadium, purchase the detriot lions franchise , Fire  all management , paint the entire complex red, name it the "Big Red Ball fieldhouse"

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

United States
                          Member #23806
                          October 16, 2005
                          188 Posts
                          Posted: February 19, 2006, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

Nebraska: One ticket with 5+1 and zero tickets with 5+0.  WOW!  May they spend it where they have the most enjoyment.

Oh well, still have my MM tickets!

I CONCUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers GOOD LUCK CHEWIE!

Down's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
                            Riverside, Ca
                            United States
                            Member #21722
                            September 14, 2005
                            173 Posts
                            Posted: February 19, 2006, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

just to let you know, if you didn't know the winning ticket was a $5.00 QP, it's always a QP