Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 8:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

alittle odd...

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Chewie.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Down's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
Riverside, Ca
United States
Member #21722
September 14, 2005
173 Posts
Posted: February 20, 2006, 12:15 am - IP Logged

i don't get how just one ticket can win for a jackpot of $365 million(PB) one ticket for $340 million(PB) one ticket for $315 million(MM) one ticket for $250 million(MM) one ticket for $170 million(MM) and one ticket for $84 million(CSLP) But 2 tickets win $35 million(MM) and two tickets wins $9 million(CSLP)...don't you think the odds of 2 tickets winning a big jackpot are alot greater, but thats not the case, it seems like 2 tickets wins when the jackpots are lower.  does anyone else find this just alittle odd? i think its better when only one ticket wins anyways...

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10351 Posts
    Posted: February 20, 2006, 12:54 am - IP Logged

The odds against hitting 5 + 1 or against 6 for 6 are a constant, the jackpots change is all.  

You would think the more play, the more winners but it's just more proof that there is no such thing as a lock. 

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
      Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #1303
      March 27, 2003
      1508 Posts
      Posted: February 20, 2006, 6:57 am - IP Logged

i don't get how just one ticket can win for a jackpot of $365 million(PB) one ticket for $340 million(PB) one ticket for $315 million(MM) one ticket for $250 million(MM) one ticket for $170 million(MM) and one ticket for $84 million(CSLP) But 2 tickets win $35 million(MM) and two tickets wins $9 million(CSLP)...don't you think the odds of 2 tickets winning a big jackpot are alot greater, but thats not the case, it seems like 2 tickets wins when the jackpots are lower.  does anyone else find this just alittle odd? i think its better when only one ticket wins anyways...

Like Coin Toss said...the odds of a winning ticket are 146,107,962 to one. So if 146,107,962 DIFFERENT tickets were sold EVERY drawing, there would be one winning ticket sold EACH week, because that's how many combinations there are....It never changes. The only thing that changes is the number of different tickets sold for a particular drawing. If more than one person chooses the same combinations on a particular drawing, and that combination is the one drawn, there will be more winners. Since a lot of people still like to play numbers that involve family birthdays, etc., the chance -- if those numbers are drawn (numbers 1-31) that there will be more than one winning ticket are more likely than if the combination drawn includes more numbers from 32 on up.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Morrison, IL
        United States
        Member #4657
        May 13, 2004
        1884 Posts
        Posted: February 20, 2006, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

It's all luck of the draw.

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49759 Posts
          Posted: February 20, 2006, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

Yes! It seems quite odd: That you start threads and then do not participate in the discussion.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
            Tx
            United States
            Member #4570
            May 4, 2004
            5180 Posts
            Posted: February 20, 2006, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

Some people just post to post and don't really care about what they post about, but for those very few that might care other than the poster of the thread who doesn't seem to:

When the odds of winning are so bad as that, even 1 000 combos might not in practice change the odds at all, yes not at all, the odds in practice might still be the same or about the same, now if the game was a 5/35 or 5/37 game then maybe 1 000 might matter some, but not very much either.

Odds of 1/1 000 or so are not winning odds, not to me and perhaps not statistically either.

Want much better odds ? Play the pick 3 and then try picking more than 1 combo to play.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

Sparta, NJ
              United States
              Member #18331
              July 9, 2005
              1977 Posts
              Posted: February 20, 2006, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

A gazillion to one are great odds, when you are the one!

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5121 Posts
                Posted: February 20, 2006, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

It would be even otter if it was aH ................

QP......??????????????????????

The more you spend will increase your odds of a JACKPOT WIN!

LOL

PSYKOMO 

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                  Member #91
                  January 19, 2002
                  11931 Posts
                  Posted: February 20, 2006, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

It is amazing isn't it.  Considering the fact that there were only 43 tickets with the correct 5 white balls and only one out of the 43 had the right powerball....it makes you wonder if quick picks only generate one possible set of each combination before they start duplicating the combinations again......and how many of the second place winners picked their own numbers?

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                    Member #5344
                    June 30, 2004
                    23641 Posts
                    Posted: February 20, 2006, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

I have printed a set of five numbers qp for a customer in which two strings were identical...

We laughed about it... What were the odds of that happening again.. ? It happened in TN.. sure it has happened before..

I told the customer if they won, with another person, they should get 2/3 of the Jackpot since they were holding 2 of the same numbers..

Friday night a lady got 5 qp and 4 had the powerball 29.. Just joking with her, I said, "For your sake, I hope  29 is the powerball.. " She didn't see any humor in it..  Sunday morning she came in to collect.. We laughed about it again.. Now if she had only powerplayed the ticket she would have won 4 times as much..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                      Member #2338
                      September 17, 2003
                      2063 Posts
                      Posted: February 20, 2006, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

Odd is how the game with the longest odds hasn't even come close to the record. By all accounts Megamillions should have had a large pot by now but it hasn't.  It still is number two, the record being held by Euromillions which has only 1:76 million odds.

Sparta, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #18331
                        July 9, 2005
                        1977 Posts
                        Posted: February 20, 2006, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

I have printed a set of five numbers qp for a customer in which two strings were identical...

We laughed about it... What were the odds of that happening again.. ? It happened in TN.. sure it has happened before..

I told the customer if they won, with another person, they should get 2/3 of the Jackpot since they were holding 2 of the same numbers..

Friday night a lady got 5 qp and 4 had the powerball 29.. Just joking with her, I said, "For your sake, I hope  29 is the powerball.. " She didn't see any humor in it..  Sunday morning she came in to collect.. We laughed about it again.. Now if she had only powerplayed the ticket she would have won 4 times as much..

I've had duplicate QP numbers quite frequently.  I took the same position you did, if it hits, I get to split it with myself. Getting five rows, and finding repeats down the line is not uncommon.  I've also seen the Mega Ball or Power Ball the same on four of the five lines.  Strange.  I guess the machine just does what it does, doesn't matter what it did five seconds earlier.

Remember that guy a few years back that picked his own numbers, but mistakenly bought them twice.  There was a three-way split.  He got two-thirds.  Luck is luck is luck is luck!

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice