Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Genetic Algorithm

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 11 years ago by BuzzsawAnn.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Atlanta
United States
Member #33572
February 22, 2006
366 Posts
Posted: February 22, 2006, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

Any one have good experience using Genetic Algorithm to select numbers?

Did you write your own or use commercial product? 

Auckland
    New Zealand
    Member #2247
    September 4, 2003
    33 Posts
    Posted: February 22, 2006, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

GA's are a way of searching a solution space in a few minutes, which could take years of computer time doing exhaustive search.

Another new method which is proving very fast is " Ant Colony Optimisation "

"BBC

Ants might be able to run telecommunication networks better than humans.

Researchers have found that control programs based on the foraging behaviour of ants can keep data networks running more efficiently and cope with congestion better than many human alternatives.

They believe that other computational problems could also be tackled using algorithms or techniques derived from the behaviour of ants.

Already some companies are using the ant systems to do a better job of managing delivery networks and supply chains.

Powerful together

Individually, ants may be stupid, but put enough of them together and they manage to build nests, grow fungus as food, farm other insects, and even weave their own shelters.

When ants forage, they randomly wander the forest or jungle floor and lay a trail for nest-mates to lead them to a source of food. Many individual ants may discover different routes to the same food but the shortest path that leads to it will have the strongest concentration of pheromone, a chemical indicator laid down by the ants.

It will swiftly become the most popular path because it is the smelliest and easiest for the ants to spot and track.

"What they find in the environment is determined by what's done previously by other members of their colony," said Professor Dorigo."

There is a free ActiveX Control which demostrates these methods:

http://www.visualbots.com/index.htm

Spot9

jordi marey's avatar - Lottery-039.jpg

United States
      Member #17354
      June 17, 2005
      102 Posts
      Posted: March 13, 2006, 1:01 am - IP Logged

Gee Spot9 and Bitrunner

Maybe this GA product could backtest the Sat. Florida Lotto results for some of us here at LP.

Canada
        Member #2352
        September 19, 2003
        42 Posts
        Posted: March 13, 2006, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

Particle Swarm Optimization is similar to the ant colony theory. You can think of draw numbers being neighbours and try and find what other number those attract. There are C and VB source codes available.

Check out www.adaptiveview.com/articles/ipsop3.html

Atlanta
          United States
          Member #33572
          February 22, 2006
          366 Posts
          Posted: March 15, 2006, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

How could particle optimization and ant optimization be used to say predict the sum of 5 or 6 balls? perhaps a fitness function employing some statistical function?

Canada
            Member #2352
            September 19, 2003
            42 Posts
            Posted: March 15, 2006, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

Ah yes, getting any prediction out of it is the hard part. Produces nice graphical effects but that's not of much use. I did work something out based on three objects (balls) being together and then being drawn to an attractor (the bottom of the mixing drum) and had some interesting results but I have not had time to test it out much. You have to have a good imagination with chaos and attractors!!!

Unfortunately, my math years were long ago and I have to work with very simple concepts.

I'll post it once I have a more data.

BuzzsawAnn's avatar - nw shadow.jpg
              CHICAGO
              United States
              Member #28557
              December 18, 2005
              111 Posts
              Posted: April 15, 2006, 10:17 am - IP Logged

.....  speaking of ants  I bought this ant farm in this space age gel and it was marvelous to watch them digging holes to nowhere and piling this gel stuff on the side. Some ants were leaders and some fell by the wayside-some ants had a plan and some didn't know their heads from the hole in the gel. Last but not least it was always interesting to watch them move and bury the carcasses that got in the way of the digging. 

The numbers for the day  are  2951  2883  3690    2100