Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 3:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Access vs. Excel

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 11 years ago by time*treat.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
Member #13130
March 30, 2005
2171 Posts
Posted: February 24, 2006, 9:14 am - IP Logged

I know some have used Access to manage their data. I'd like to know from those that have used Excel too, if Access is worth the slowdown period to learn it. I've got a book or two on it, but so far, everything I have needed to do, I have found a way to handle in the spreadsheet program.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

lottaloot's avatar - AvatarZ56
    Redford/MI
    United States
    Member #3396
    January 18, 2004
    4867 Posts
    Posted: February 24, 2006, 11:05 am - IP Logged

I would like to know the answer to that as well. 

I have access, but haven't a clue as to how to use it. 

L ttaL   T

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23273 Posts
      Posted: February 24, 2006, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

Here's the deal: it depends on how you're going to USE the data:

• If it will be you manipulating the data yourself, and you're going to do lots of different things with the data (you need flexibility), then stick with Excel.
      • If you're only going to have a PROGRAM use the data -- like a Visual Basic program -- then use Access, because it's much harder to get a program to read data from Excel.

For most people, you should stick with Excel.  Sometimes it may be impressive to hear someone say they use Access, but in reality it won't do you any good. 

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

lottaloot's avatar - AvatarZ56
        Redford/MI
        United States
        Member #3396
        January 18, 2004
        4867 Posts
        Posted: February 24, 2006, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the info Todd.  Wink

L ttaL   T

sysp34's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
          Heroic City
          Indonesia
          Member #31689
          February 2, 2006
          1153 Posts
          Posted: February 24, 2006, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

Here's the deal: it depends on how you're going to USE the data:

• If it will be you manipulating the data yourself, and you're going to do lots of different things with the data (you need flexibility), then stick with Excel.
          • If you're only going to have a PROGRAM use the data -- like a Visual Basic program -- then use Access, because it's much harder to get a program to read data from Excel.

For most people, you should stick with Excel.  Sometimes it may be impressive to hear someone say they use Access, but in reality it won't do you any good. 

The IT competent  had  spoken I Agree! I Agree!I Agree!
          excel had  limitation only  65536 rows and 255 column per worksheet

sysp34

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: February 24, 2006, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

Right now, I'm kicking around a 5/36 numberset. Basically, I am trying to find out if Access will handle the data better, i.e. let me see all records (of really big data sets).

I have, though VBA in Excel, written a bit of code that creates a file with each combination as a record. I retrieve a record with a GET. Record 1 = 1,2,3,4,5 ... record 376,992 = 32,33,34,35,36. The 65536x255 limitation has been worked around as far as working w/ the data. I am able to create static "libraries" in Excel and I use other code to kick the data around. The only thing, so far, is that I can't view the library data directly (have to use the GET) or all at once (due to the Row limit). That is not too big a deal, as far as working with the data, but if someone knows how many records an Access file can hold, I'd like to know too.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23273 Posts
              Posted: February 24, 2006, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

Right now, I'm kicking around a 5/36 numberset. Basically, I am trying to find out if Access will handle the data better, i.e. let me see all records (of really big data sets).

I have, though VBA in Excel, written a bit of code that creates a file with each combination as a record. I retrieve a record with a GET. Record 1 = 1,2,3,4,5 ... record 376,992 = 32,33,34,35,36. The 65536x255 limitation has been worked around as far as working w/ the data. I am able to create static "libraries" in Excel and I use other code to kick the data around. The only thing, so far, is that I can't view the library data directly (have to use the GET) or all at once (due to the Row limit). That is not too big a deal, as far as working with the data, but if someone knows how many records an Access file can hold, I'd like to know too.

That's one of those things where we may differ on how we approach the problem.

For something like your example of a data set (table) with every possible combination, I would almost never build a table.  Since the data is highly predictable, and is a function of mathematics, I would just calculate whatever values I needed using small, reusable user defined functions, rather than the "brute force" approach of creating a table.

By doing so, it actually becomes much more fexible (it is easy to create other data sets just by changing the function call), and it can all work within Excel very easily.

Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23273 Posts
                Posted: February 24, 2006, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

By the way, I don't want to leave the impression that one way is "right" and the other is "wrong".  In program code, there is no perfect -- or "correct" -- way of doing things.  It's kind of like lottery systems:  nobody has the "one correct solution".  Everyone's ideas have merit.

United States
                  Member #13130
                  March 30, 2005
                  2171 Posts
                  Posted: February 25, 2006, 1:23 am - IP Logged

Well, it looks like I'm on the right track then. I should have stated it as "I wrote code that created the data table." I open the 1 file (which contains all the combos), not create the table, each run. If the system pans out, then I'll get a faster PC, before learning a new app. One thing about a "slow" machine is you learn to write really efficient code.