Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Winning Powerball Ticket Found Under Bed

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Chewie.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
fast eddie's avatar - lasvegas2
Chicago,IL.
United States
Member #2902
November 29, 2003
1427 Posts
Posted: February 25, 2006, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

Winning Powerball Ticket Found Under Bed

By Associated Press

SHREVEPORT, La. - After hearing of a newspaper account of an unclaimed $853,492 Powerball ticket from October, Steve Jones decided to do a little housecleaning. Of the three tickets he swept out from under the bed, one wound up being the prizewinner.

On Thursday, Jones took the ticket to the Louisiana Lottery Corp.'s headquarters in Baton Rouge and walked out with $597,447 after taxes.

"Someone had mentioned to me there was a story in the paper about the missing ticket," Jones said. "I buy them all the time, and after he told me that, I went into the room I sleep in and started looking. I grabbed me a mop and went up under the bed and found three of them."

Jones took the tickets to a liquor store where he buys many of his lottery tickets, and a store clerk scanned them.

"The first two were nothing, but the third ticket said I needed to go the lottery office," said Jones. "I didn't know whether it was the Match-5 winnings or something else. But when they said I had to drive to Baton Rouge, I started looking for someone to drive me."

The retailer who sold the Match-5 Bonus ticket got $8,534. Match-5 Bonus, pays a bonus to players who match the five white ball numbers but do not correctly match the red Powerball number when a record Powerball jackpot is surpassed.

Jones' ticket was to expire April 17. Winners of the lottery's draw games, such as Powerball, have 180 days after the drawing to claim their prize.

___

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned"

Chicago,IL.
    United States
    Member #2902
    November 29, 2003
    1427 Posts
    Posted: February 25, 2006, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

All I find under my bed are dust bunnies. Unhappy

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
      Member #5344
      June 30, 2004
      23641 Posts
      Posted: February 25, 2006, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

Guess that would be all I find .... and cat hair.. lol

I dont keep my tickets under the bed...

I use the lotto pocket that the store gives to keep the ticket neat and easier to scan..

Now if everyone would use that.. oh well.. 

(you would be surprise at how some of the tickets come in to be scanned.. Food on them,  they Write on them.. BIG NO NO..  keeps it from being scanned..  wadded up in a ball...  folded down to size of a dime..

My question, would you treat a  $350,000,000 check that way?)

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
        Member #2338
        September 17, 2003
        2063 Posts
        Posted: February 25, 2006, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

Maybe that's why I never win, the dust bunnies ate my winning tickets.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
          PA
          United States
          Member #22983
          October 6, 2005
          2226 Posts
          Posted: February 25, 2006, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

I believe it. This is what I am always talking about. The people who actually care about the lottery such as all of us here, would never allow our tickets to end up in such irresponsible places. Perhaps we should, and maybe this is the secret to jackpot wins. I have tried many times to do this, but it is just something I could never do. I guess intelligence, and respect is a a hefty price to pay.

Chicago,IL.
            United States
            Member #2902
            November 29, 2003
            1427 Posts
            Posted: February 25, 2006, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

Maybe that's why I never win, the dust bunnies ate my winning tickets.

LOL

wreakshavok777's avatar - enzyte thumb.jpg
              oklahoma
              United States
              Member #12313
              March 10, 2005
              165 Posts
              Posted: February 26, 2006, 12:45 am - IP Logged

Have you ever noticed that people who usually win seem to be carefree about checking their tickets? What happened to this guy would never happen to me  cuz I check my numbers within 10-15 seconds of each drawing, then they usually get tossed in the nearest trash can! Maybe I'll buy tickets next week and toss them behind desk,in drawers or under bed and then wait for a couple of months to check them? I would go nuts not checking them,  do you think its possible to try to hard? to win?

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                PA
                United States
                Member #22983
                October 6, 2005
                2226 Posts
                Posted: February 26, 2006, 5:03 am - IP Logged

Unless you are one of those people it just can't happen. There is no faking it, believe me I tried. They truly do not care, if you are member here you will always care, and always wonder. Those type of people do not even know this site exists, because the lottery has not become an ongoing obsession with them yet...maybe never will.

They are actually even more lucky than we ever could be, as they never have, nor ever will go through all the sleepness nights we "players" have from doing pen and paper work outs year after year. They were handed the jackpot without doing any work, nor applying much thought. These are the same types who blow it all, and end up "Whittaker" material also.

It is tough for a dedicated lottery player to imagine such an injustice, but it happens almost every week.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: February 26, 2006, 5:17 am - IP Logged

Oh no!  I noticed some of the local lizzards wearing expensive suits and driving new sports cars. So that's what happened to my winning tickets. I thought they just knew that gecko on that insurance commercial.

Australia
                    Member #17096
                    June 11, 2005
                    225 Posts
                    Posted: February 26, 2006, 5:59 am - IP Logged

This story shows how useful player registration cards are. In some states, like New South Wales in Australia, players have the option of registering if the wish. Players get a plastic card in the mail and give to the lottery agency when they wish to play. Players favorite numbers can also be shored on the cards, which is also very convenient. Registered players who don't claim prizes within 14 days, will get them automatically in the mail. For large prizes and jackpots, the lottery will call you. 

United States
                      Member #5122
                      June 18, 2004
                      68 Posts
                      Posted: February 26, 2006, 6:48 am - IP Logged

Have you ever noticed that people who usually win seem to be carefree about checking their tickets? What happened to this guy would never happen to me  cuz I check my numbers within 10-15 seconds of each drawing, then they usually get tossed in the nearest trash can! Maybe I'll buy tickets next week and toss them behind desk,in drawers or under bed and then wait for a couple of months to check them? I would go nuts not checking them,  do you think its possible to try to hard? to win?

Maybe a few people are that casual about playing but most aren't. I have read many stories in the past where people found out they won either by watching the draw itself or checking the newspaper the following day. And judging from the last Powerball with the hugh lines of people stretched out the doors of many stores selling tickets you can be sure people were checking their tickets as soon as possible. You are also taking it on faith that all the people who have a winning ticket but claim they never played the lottery previously in their life until their win or suddenly found it buried in some unlikely place months after the draw and with only an hour to spare before the ticket expires are telling the truth. Most people lie or exaggerate things whether they have money or not and a chance windfall in cash won't compel people to all of a sudden walk a righteous path in life.

Sparta, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #18331
                        July 9, 2005
                        1977 Posts
                        Posted: February 26, 2006, 7:14 am - IP Logged

WOW - I've had a winner in bed, but never under the bed!

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Zoozie's avatar - back
                          South Fort Myers
                          United States
                          Member #26835
                          November 23, 2005
                          454 Posts
                          Posted: February 26, 2006, 7:41 am - IP Logged

ROFL Chewie... I was thinking the EXACT same thing!

Did anyone notice that this fella stated he needed someone to drive him to Baton Rouge?  Is he not old enough to drive or too poor for a vehicle?  Hmmmmmm

Zoozie  Dance

"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"
                          Napoleon Hill

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                            A long and winding road
                            United States
                            Member #17084
                            June 10, 2005
                            4533 Posts
                            Posted: February 26, 2006, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

My cousin is 34, declined driving priveledges due to epileptic seizures.

So what if the guy had to get a ride, he had the winning ticket and found the necessary means to claim it. Kudos to him , may he enjoy the wealth wisely!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

Sparta, NJ
                              United States
                              Member #18331
                              July 9, 2005
                              1977 Posts
                              Posted: February 26, 2006, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

Maybe a few people are that casual about playing but most aren't. I have read many stories in the past where people found out they won either by watching the draw itself or checking the newspaper the following day. And judging from the last Powerball with the hugh lines of people stretched out the doors of many stores selling tickets you can be sure people were checking their tickets as soon as possible. You are also taking it on faith that all the people who have a winning ticket but claim they never played the lottery previously in their life until their win or suddenly found it buried in some unlikely place months after the draw and with only an hour to spare before the ticket expires are telling the truth. Most people lie or exaggerate things whether they have money or not and a chance windfall in cash won't compel people to all of a sudden walk a righteous path in life.

I "kind of" agree.  I think most lottery players look to see if they won.  Not as much as watching it on television, or checking on the internet.  More like the next day, at work, or when they get home - unless it is a weekend draw. I also feel that, when a grand winner is publisized, they start looking.  I think most people, after kicking five or ten dollars, will not just throw the ticket away.  Placing it between a folded newspaper seems logicial.  You have a zillions things on your mind, you come home, and your grandaughter wants a hug.  You put the paper on the counter and you forget to go back to the paper.  Not uncommon.

Waiting a month to discover it?  You need to readjust your life.  You are way too busy.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice