Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

should i stop playing or keep playing

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 11 years ago by sirbrad.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

should i stop playing or keep playing

yes stop playing [ 23 ]  [74.19%]
no keep playing [ 8 ]  [25.81%]
Total Valid Votes [ 31 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  

United States
Member #34006
February 26, 2006
7 Posts
Posted: February 26, 2006, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

Well since i turn 18 all i do its play everyday 15-20 dollars almost everyday well this week i have wasted about 80 dollars just playing the megamillions and THe ny lotto. well when i saw the winning numbers i just saw 0 dollars won for me that really hurts because i be getting this feelings that i am going to win the lottery. damm can someone help should i stop or keep on

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
    Beautiful Florida
    United States
    Member #5709
    July 18, 2004
    20110 Posts
    Posted: February 26, 2006, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

Well since i turn 18 all i do its play everyday 15-20 dollars almost everyday well this week i have wasted about 80 dollars just playing the megamillions and THe ny lotto. well when i saw the winning numbers i just saw 0 dollars won for me that really hurts because i be getting this feelings that i am going to win the lottery. damm can someone help should i stop or keep on

Lets face it, why would you even want to spend that kind of money on the lottery if only one ticket would have won>! With you doing this type of thing at 18, what will you be spending at 25, 30? Put it in your mind to spend x amount of dollars and stick to it.....!

If you can't do that, then I would say stop completely....          Good luck.!

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10351 Posts
      Posted: February 26, 2006, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

Bet a buck a draw and no more. Take the rest of what you would have bet and put it in a cigar box. Wait five days and count what's in the box.

It's a wake-up for some people when they see it like that.  

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: February 26, 2006, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

If this is a serious post, then I would tell you to stop playing. However, if you're really hooked on the lottery, nobody can give you advice unless you seek counseling. Where is the money coming from? $80 is a lot of money for a teenager. That averages over $4,000 a year.  Hoping that someday you'll win a big jackpot and depending on it are 2 different ways of thinking. All of us want to win lots of money to make our lives a little easier. We older folks who have worked for over 30 years want to get off of our sore feet and ease our aching backs and the younger people want a better future. I don't know too many people who can't use an extra few million in the bank. However, the reality is that since there are only 104 drawings a year and millions of people buying tickets, winning a game with such great odds might never happen in your lifetime. I hope it does work out for you, but I've had the same high expectations for longer than you've been alive.  If you continue to play, maybe take $5 or $10 every week if you can afford it and play your favorite games. If you invest the rest putting $3,000 a year (tax deferred) into an IRA for the next 30 or 40 years, you can retire early and have a nice retirement package.  Good luck!

United States
          Member #23806
          October 16, 2005
          188 Posts
          Posted: February 26, 2006, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

stop playing.

Sparta, NJ
            United States
            Member #18331
            July 9, 2005
            1977 Posts
            Posted: February 26, 2006, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

Thinking back to 18, and that is a challenge, my hormones didn't allow any sort of gambling to be my number one obsession.  You need to pickup a Playboy and see how the other half lives.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Snakeyes's avatar - 8579390479 65f71643cf_m.jpg
              Cleveland, Ohio
              United States
              Member #11445
              February 13, 2005
              1303 Posts
              Posted: February 26, 2006, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

Thinking back to 18, and that is a challenge, my hormones didn't allow any sort of gambling to be my number one obsession.  You need to pickup a Playboy and see how the other half lives.

LMAO! I was thinking the very same thing. At 18, lottery was the last thing on my mind.

My $.02: Play on paper for a while until you begin to see hits occuring with a little more frequency and accuracy (in your own workouts). Then, play a couple bucks a day and leave it at that. Build up a bankroll to play from. And keep stashing $$ in that cigar box.

starchild_45's avatar - spherewall2
                kent, washington
                United States
                Member #3509
                January 26, 2004
                465 Posts
                Posted: February 26, 2006, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

LMAO! I was thinking the very same thing. At 18, lottery was the last thing on my mind.

My $.02: Play on paper for a while until you begin to see hits occuring with a little more frequency and accuracy (in your own workouts). Then, play a couple bucks a day and leave it at that. Build up a bankroll to play from. And keep stashing $$ in that cigar box.

i agree with snake eyes and all the other players. stay within your means and don't go any further. it is a dream and it is not guarnateed. one dollar a draw and that is all it takes. if you can't afford that don't do it.

United States
                  Member #24439
                  October 22, 2005
                  638 Posts
                  Posted: February 27, 2006, 3:07 am - IP Logged

Stop playing or play much less.

Try playing a dollar a draw. Or pick out some numbers that you wouldn't play for a test. You would see that you will lose.

The First thing is to know is that the odds are against you. CNN reported the odds of winning the recent Powerball when the jackpot was at $365M was the odds of you getting struck by lightning 3 times on a none stormy day. I thought it was funny.

Play for entertainment. Milk it for the hopes and fun you will have thinking you might win.

Lottery is not one of those problems you don't solve by throwing money at it.

Welcome to LP. I hope you read all the post concerning your chances of winning.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                    PA
                    United States
                    Member #22983
                    October 6, 2005
                    2226 Posts
                    Posted: February 27, 2006, 5:59 am - IP Logged

Do what I did, create a lottery budget and stick with it. Try to stick to one game for awhile at a time if you can also. Save $40 or so at the most for one entire month, then play it all at once one time for one draw, or divide it up between 8 draws at 5 plays each. $2.00 games really chew up the account. I used to go over my budget all the time when the powerball jackpots became record breakers, but not anymore. All the losses began to bore me thankfully.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                      Tennessee
                      United States
                      Member #7853
                      October 15, 2004
                      11338 Posts
                      Posted: February 27, 2006, 7:26 am - IP Logged

try spending just 5 a day.that would give you a lot more to do something else with.the odds are so high it won't make much of a difference.i do think 20 dollars a day is too much at first.....

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10351 Posts
                        Posted: February 27, 2006, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

soriano4life

A lot of times when you reach the point where you find yourself asking, "am I spending too much on _ _ _ _ _", right there is your answer. For me it's books. lol

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                          Member #91
                          January 19, 2002
                          11929 Posts
                          Posted: February 27, 2006, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

Green laughThat was pretty funny,  anyway like they said, if this was your first time, you saw how fast you can blow your wad Naughty.  So slow it down a bit, take it slow, make it last, spend 5 bucks a draw. If it was meant to be it will find you.  At the rate your going you'll be blind in a couple of months.  Ooopps I meant "broke."

Good Luck!

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                            FEMA Region V Camp #21
                            United States
                            Member #520
                            July 27, 2002
                            5699 Posts
                            Posted: February 27, 2006, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

I agree with the members suggesting $1 a draw on those astronomically high odds games....keep it fun, stay in the game and save the rest of your money for other entertainment. Many people have won those games with one ticket.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Portland
                              United States
                              Member #7262
                              September 27, 2004
                              111 Posts
                              Posted: February 27, 2006, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

Hello soriano4life: I very understand your feeling, same with me...but I think you spend too much on Lottery..! For a funny dream, you'd rather cut down the spending by playing one or two $ /week than completely stop playing. ...It is better than nothing !!!
                              Don't be down, a lot of people are with this sadness.... not only you!!!
                              Just hope your dream is going to come true some day!!!