Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

THE NEBRASKA 8! No way do I show my face.

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 11 years ago by walmy.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
walmy's avatar - bass fret.jpg
Miami
United States
Member #31142
January 25, 2006
3 Posts
Posted: February 28, 2006, 10:09 am - IP Logged

...on national TV. After finding Lottery Post and reading the absolute horror stories of winners either who have blown their winnings or have had it stolen from them in some way no way do I let people know who I am. I would get some legal rep do to it for me.

Of these 8 "lucky" winners I feel half will lose ALL their money by the same time next year.

Opinions and advice welcomed.

md
    United States
    Member #14047
    April 20, 2005
    579 Posts
    Posted: February 28, 2006, 10:41 am - IP Logged

How negative a view to have.  Every person is entitled to a chance to make it in life.  Whether its spending $22m or just living.  I have an idea, let's just believe the best for these folks.  Maybe you'll be a large winner one day, and people should believe that you'll do the right thing and manage your money well. 

Miami
      United States
      Member #31142
      January 25, 2006
      3 Posts
      Posted: February 28, 2006, 10:52 am - IP Logged

Negative? Possibly, I liken it to being realistic.

In no way am I saying that anyone is not "entitled" to "make it in life" . That was hardly my point. Let me rephrase:

Is it a good idea to go public about your lotto winnings especially when it's in the hundreds of millions?

Do I want the "best for these folks" whom I hardly know? Of course, to not would be very "negative" but you are naive to think that there are not family, friends and complete strangers that are just salivating at the chance when they will be able to pounce on the Nebraska 8.

md
        United States
        Member #14047
        April 20, 2005
        579 Posts
        Posted: February 28, 2006, 11:02 am - IP Logged

If you check out my post since being a member, I champion remaining anonymous more than anyone.  I actually wrote to the lottery officials here in Maryland seeking guidance on this issue, and have it in writing that I could remain anonymous.  However, the larger the winning jackpot is, it will be impossible to remain anonymous.  All anyone has to do is file a Freedom of Information request at Lottery Headquarters,and they are compelled to turn over the info. 

It would serve the winner any winner best to get it over with and move away and move on. 

I already have legal papers drafted for structuring how I will move forward in life should I win. 

Your comment about half losing their wealth to me was negative.  You asked for opinions and comments.  If you can't handle it, you should solicit it.  Your first comment in this forum just so happened to be negative to me.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19817 Posts
          Posted: February 28, 2006, 11:03 am - IP Logged

walmy writes:
          "Do I want the "best for these folks" whom I hardly know?"

I doubt that you know any of them at all, you're just trying to start a conversation to put down some people you've never met.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
            Wisconsin
            United States
            Member #1303
            March 27, 2003
            1508 Posts
            Posted: February 28, 2006, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Negative? Possibly, I liken it to being realistic.

In no way am I saying that anyone is not "entitled" to "make it in life" . That was hardly my point. Let me rephrase:

Is it a good idea to go public about your lotto winnings especially when it's in the hundreds of millions?

Do I want the "best for these folks" whom I hardly know? Of course, to not would be very "negative" but you are naive to think that there are not family, friends and complete strangers that are just salivating at the chance when they will be able to pounce on the Nebraska 8.

I would think that Powerball is like the state lotteries in that information on the name of th ewinners of any jackpot is required by law to be public knowledge.

If you wanted to, for instance, as I understand it, you can inquire to your state and receive the names and amounts won of every jackpot that your state has paid in their games.

What you have to do should you win a large jackpot is (a) change your name legally) and (b) move somewhere where no one knows who you used to be. Then when people see you're rich, you just tell 'em you are retired because you made "wise investments".

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Coastal Georgia
              United States
              Member #2653
              October 30, 2003
              1866 Posts
              Posted: February 28, 2006, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

Fact: Each of the eight have 15.5 million in cash.

Fact: Each will go in different directions.

The odds are that at least one of them will encounter financial difficulties later in life.

Fact: It's easy to do if you are not smart with your windfall.

Fact: It's hard to do if you are wise. 

DD

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: February 28, 2006, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

I've read the FAQs section on many lottery web sites and only a few will allow anyone to remain anonymous, even with a legal representative. If you look at the news section on the FL site, for example, there are a few winners who claimed their prizes as an LLC or Trust, but the names are always listed. It is a matter of public records to show that the funds were distributed to "real" people. Sure, it's good advertising, but when most people spend money to buy tickets, they want to know someone won fair and square.

Regarding the pictures, some PB and MM states list in the rules of play that a winner of a larger jackpot must hold a news conference.  I would want to stay anonymous, but I agree that it's best to just get it over with as delS suggests. I disagree with Badger about changing your name. That's too extreme. I wonder why everyone is so concerned when someone like Howard Stern is a public figure and makes a lot more than any of these PB winners. $500M over 5 years, and that's real money, not some overflated annuity value. Directors like George Lucas and Steven Spielberg make that much in one year. Let's not forget the Bill Gates of this world for whom this is play money. Do you think that the people on the Forbes "richest list" live a life of seclusion? Paris Hilton inherited $50 million and she loves attention. Don't get me wrong, I'm poor, but I've also known several multi-millionaires in my life and they go to movies, eat out at restaurants and even shop at the local supermarket. The way people write on this board, I'm surprised nobody has suggested contacting the Feds to go into a Witness Protection Program. Why not get plastic sugery...or better yet - a sex change operation!

Wink

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10345 Posts
                  Posted: February 28, 2006, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

dels

"Your comment about half losing their wealth to me was negative."

I don't think walmy was being negative, just realisitc. 

Statistically, 80% of lottery winners are bankrupt within five years. 

From the book The Five Lessons A Millionaire Taught Me

Richard Paul Evans 

United States
                    Member #23806
                    October 16, 2005
                    188 Posts
                    Posted: February 28, 2006, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

Stereotypically, the Vietnamese would be the best in handling those millions.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                      Member #13130
                      March 30, 2005
                      2171 Posts
                      Posted: February 28, 2006, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

...on national TV. After finding Lottery Post and reading the absolute horror stories of winners either who have blown their winnings or have had it stolen from them in some way no way do I let people know who I am. I would get some legal rep do to it for me.

Of these 8 "lucky" winners I feel half will lose ALL their money by the same time next year.

Opinions and advice welcomed.

Better to be nouveau riche and spend it, than to have never been "riche" at all. Cool

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                      Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                        A long and winding road
                        United States
                        Member #17084
                        June 10, 2005
                        4523 Posts
                        Posted: February 28, 2006, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

And bare in mind Coin toss that the statistics are most likely outdated and worldwide. Statistics are like a basketball, they bounce depending on where you are aiming the data at. Statistics can be manipulated to give a bias connotation.  

The originator of this post did carry an undertone of negativity, yet so be it. Its an opinion nonetheless.

The fact is:The Nebraska 8 won and claimed their winnings.

The rest will unfold in the future, which few of us can predict, otherwise we would have known what the drawing numbers were!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

United States
                          Member #10720
                          January 23, 2005
                          933 Posts
                          Posted: February 28, 2006, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

Best strategy: when you do the news conference, come off like a greedy *$^#@$ who wouldn't give a dime to a starving nun. My quote is that I would remember (to reasonable extent) those people that were there for me when I was poor. Anyone else, I don't care if you're a nickel away from dropping dead. It's like feeding the seagulls down the shore, give them one french fry and they want the whole bag.

Food for thought: Mayor Bloomberg has FIFTEEN TIMES the ANNUITY value of the Mega Millions. I don't see him worrying about who sees him on TV or whatever. 

Baton Rouge, LA
                            United States
                            Member #4602
                            May 7, 2004
                            699 Posts
                            Posted: February 28, 2006, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

I saw their press conference on cnn.com and noticed a few of them wore hats and dark glasses.  I wonder if they were trying to disguise their appearances or just wearing what they always wear.

There has been a story on a few of the news sites about people who have won the lottery and ended up having alot of probelms because of it or ending up broke again within a few years.  Stories included a woman who won twice who ended up broke and living in a trailer.  Another was a man who started businesses with family members and all failed and even his brother tried to have him killed. 

Some people just don't know how to handle all that money.  Hopefully, these people will be sensible with it and end up living happy, better lives because of their win.

PrisonerSix 

Miami
                              United States
                              Member #31142
                              January 25, 2006
                              3 Posts
                              Posted: March 1, 2006, 10:19 am - IP Logged

Wow, thanks for all the true insight and opinions! Know I know to have my lawyer, tax consultant AND plastic surgeon at the ready when I win the millions! LOL!

To JUSTXPLORIN: All the people you mentioned have had plenty of time to SLOWLY get used to that type of wealth. What I am talking about here is SUDDEN wealth.

Stern, Lucas, Spielberg and Gates have had years to work on their craft and assimilate to their annualy increasing profits. As for Ms. Hilton, although she has yet to accomplish anything of value IMO she still comes from a family of wealth and privelege and has not known real financial struggle in her life.

Thanks again...