Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

This has to be pure luck

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10353 Posts
Posted: March 1, 2006, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

From a book I mentioned before  -Infinite Freedom, What to do Before and After You Hit the Lottery:

Some of the more unusual ways that multi-million dollar winners have reportedly picked their winning numbers include using these:

A dart board's numbers hit by throwing darts

A camera's serial number

The rural route numbers on the commute to buy the winning ticket

The serial number from a Social Security check

Dream visits from a deceased grandfather

The lot number on a box of doughnuts bought while waitning in line to buy the winning ticket.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    PA
    United States
    Member #22983
    October 6, 2005
    2226 Posts
    Posted: March 1, 2006, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

Do you mean "Infinite Financial Freedom?" Yeah I been wanting to get that book for awhile now, but it seemed a little pricey, and I heard much of the content is outdated. Would love to still get it, but wish they would reprint an updated version.

United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10353 Posts
      Posted: March 1, 2006, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

Yup, sorry, that's it Infinite financial Freedom.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
        Wisconsin
        United States
        Member #1303
        March 27, 2003
        1508 Posts
        Posted: March 2, 2006, 8:54 am - IP Logged

From a book I mentioned before  -Infinite Freedom, What to do Before and After You Hit the Lottery:

Some of the more unusual ways that multi-million dollar winners have reportedly picked their winning numbers include using these:

A dart board's numbers hit by throwing darts

A camera's serial number

The rural route numbers on the commute to buy the winning ticket

The serial number from a Social Security check

Dream visits from a deceased grandfather

The lot number on a box of doughnuts bought while waitning in line to buy the winning ticket.

Pure luck? The odds are so high against a single ticket hitting a major jackpot game that no method, no matter how odd, is any better  or worse than another. You can spend 40 hrs/week trying to "predict" the numbers that will fall, and not get it. And you can just pick 6 or 7 from somewhere and get it. IMHO spending time trying to figure the larger jackpot games isn't worth it.  You do just as well if you pick numbers out of a hat, assuming you aren't trying to win the smaller tier prizes. If you're gonna hit it, you're gonna hit it.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Columbia City, Indiana
          United States
          Member #2978
          December 9, 2003
          381 Posts
          Posted: March 2, 2006, 10:28 am - IP Logged

Lottery history is replete with similar stories. I remember reading several years ago about a woman in Florida who won a jackpot there. I can't recall how much she won, but I believe it was a record amount at the time. Anyway, she chose her numbers from her morning newspaper; she said she just played the first six numbers she saw, and it paid off for her.

Stories like these are only good when people actually win with their off-the-wall methods. When they lose, we chalk it up to their obvious lack of skill at playing the Pick-6 games. After all, no self-respecting lottery expert would throw caution to the wind and play what amounts to a quick-pick, thereby facing the same insurmountable odds as every other sucker who happens to be holding a ticket.

My brother likes to play license plate numbers he sees on the day of the drawing. Naturally, I just shake my head and chuckle knowingly. Sometimes, I even tell him he's throwing his money away by not approaching the game with, at the very least, some rudimentary mathematics.

Now that I've thought about it, though, maybe I should be more supportive. He's not obsessed like I am, like we are; he's just as happy with forty cents in his pocket as he is with forty dollars, or four hundred. If he ever wins a jackpot, I'm certain he'll give it away in a short time, not because he's irresponsible, but because he has a big heart and he likes to help people who truly need help.

We're 30,000 strong here at LP.com and, to my knowledge, none of us has been able to crack the big one yet. With all of our combined expertise, all of our various attempts at collaboration, no member or group of members has been able to match the six winning numbers in a jackpot game. Oh, we talk about what we'll do when the inevitable finally comes to pass, about the new house we'll buy or the investments we'll make, and those are certainly worthy dreams (NOTE TO TODD: Please delete this paragraph if the guy in Ohio turns out to be a member ...).

My brother talks about how he'll put new roofs on a couple of local churches, how he'll pay people's past-due heating bills in the winter and how he would step in when the bank decides to foreclose a mortgage on someone who's been laid off or injured. Mom gets a new house, of course, but he never says anything about buying something for himself.

So I have to ask myself, given my brother's benevolent attitude (and my selfish one) how can he not eventually win a jackpot by playing license plate numbers or any other stupid method he devises?

It's a ready-made story, but it's missing one critical element ...

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

Sparta, NJ
            United States
            Member #18331
            July 9, 2005
            1977 Posts
            Posted: March 2, 2006, 10:46 am - IP Logged

These people who write books when they have no idea of how to win amaze me.  I remember Business 101, a professor telling me how the business world works.  He spent two years at Xerox and became a teacher, never seeing the business world again, except in books or movies.  I had had twenty years in the real world, with major coporations; Boeing, Sprint, Verizon, Sears, etc.  None of them did what the professor said.  Newly hired college graduates talked about all the principles, and brain-storming concepts, then did what the boss told them to do!  You can be smart as a whip, but if you don't please the boss, you might as well have stayed at McDonald's.  The same applies to those who write books about how to win, but have never won.  Thousands of hours of research, so yu can choose a borthdate and hope luck smiles on you.  I don't think the Meat Packers in Nebraska read a lot of books on the lottery.  I think they are ahead of most of use in the win count.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10353 Posts
              Posted: March 2, 2006, 10:54 am - IP Logged

Dave Barry said one of his teachers tole him he couldn't laugh and joke his way through life.

I just thought something like playing the lot number on a box of doughnuts and sinilar things to win millions was pretty incredible.

For all the threads you can read here and real life discussions people have about hitting the lottery, it sure seems like luck and destiny are a much bigger factor than scientific and mathematical theories (on the pick 5 and 6 games). 

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49813 Posts
                Posted: March 2, 2006, 10:55 am - IP Logged

Infinite Financial Freedom was written for entertainment purposes only, so basically everthing you read in it is a joke.

Sparta, NJ
                  United States
                  Member #18331
                  July 9, 2005
                  1977 Posts
                  Posted: March 2, 2006, 11:50 am - IP Logged

Infinite Financial Freedom was written for entertainment purposes only, so basically everthing you read in it is a joke.

Oh, and to make the author richer off of your money. From what I hear, its expensive, so he is making a nice little sum.  Better then working in a cemetary trimming the grass around tombstones.  Strange how that works. Now, if only Oprah would put it on the recommended humor list!

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Morrison, IL
                    United States
                    Member #4657
                    May 13, 2004
                    1884 Posts
                    Posted: March 2, 2006, 11:57 am - IP Logged

The lottery is all about luck.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      49813 Posts
                      Posted: March 2, 2006, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

Oh, and to make the author richer off of your money. From what I hear, its expensive, so he is making a nice little sum.  Better then working in a cemetary trimming the grass around tombstones.  Strange how that works. Now, if only Oprah would put it on the recommended humor list!

When the Publisher realizes that their will be a Limited Number of Multiple Income Streams Generated by a book: They make it pricey. Some folks trim the grass in the Cemetary while others push up the Daisies. For a price Oprah will recommend anything.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                        Member #14
                        November 9, 2001
                        31362 Posts
                        Posted: March 2, 2006, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

Do you mean "Infinite Financial Freedom?" Yeah I been wanting to get that book for awhile now, but it seemed a little pricey, and I heard much of the content is outdated. Would love to still get it, but wish they would reprint an updated version.

amazon has used ones for around $11

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10353 Posts
                          Posted: March 2, 2006, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

Chewie

This isn't a book about systems and doesn't have a thing to do with how to win, the author is a certified financial planner and talks much more about trust funds, various investments, and how it all works than he does about winning the lottery. 

The theme of the book is more keeping what you win. 

One of the things mentioned in the book (and ow many think of this) is buying a kidnap and ransom insurance policy.

EEK!