Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Most victims of the scam were US citizens

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Tenaj.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Australia
Member #17096
June 11, 2005
225 Posts
Posted: March 4, 2006, 9:11 pm - IP Logged
Dutch police said they had arrested 12 Nigerians in connection with an Internet scam in which emails were sent to Americans tricking them into investing in non-existent schemes.

The Nigerians were detained on suspicion of commiting fraud or involvement in fraud in the scheme, which earnt them a total two million dollars (1.7 million euros).

They were arrested Tuesday after raids on premises in Amsterdam and the central city of Zaandam, during which police seized 25,000 euros in cash, computers and fake travel documents.

Most of the victims of the scam were US citizens. Four of the men detained were arrested on the request of US authorities, who cooperated in the investigation.

The gang has posted some 100,000 emails to potential victims, police said.

Computer users across the world are reguarly bombarded by emails from Nigerian crooks seeking to trick them into handing over bank details or making advance payments on non-existent money-making schemes.

Experts say the so-called 419 fraudsters -- named after the relevant section in Nigeria`s criminal code -- steal hundreds of millions of dollars every year from unsuspecting targets.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10392 Posts
    Posted: March 4, 2006, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

How can people fall for this? It's even known as the Nigerian Scam.  

Here's a good reply to use:

Dear Nigerian Scammer

I'm a time traveler from what you would know as the year 2036 (a la John Titor). I need a part for my time travel device, an X-23M converter. One is available on eBay for USD $695,421. Perhaps if you could help me then I could help you.

PS

I notice you're located in Lagos. As I said, I'm a time traveler. I would seriously suggest your getting yourself out of there before the end of 2006.

Sparta, NJ
      United States
      Member #18331
      July 9, 2005
      1977 Posts
      Posted: March 4, 2006, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

The Nigerians were detained on suspicion of commiting fraud or involvement in fraud in the scheme, which earnt them a total two million dollars (1.7 million euros).

"earnt them" !!  I love the British!!!!  I wish we spoke like that!  Earnt a lot of money, did they!  C-O-O-L !

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
        Charlotte NC
        United States
        Member #17406
        June 18, 2005
        4054 Posts
        Posted: March 4, 2006, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

"earnt them" !!  I love the British!!!!  I wish we spoke like that!  Earnt a lot of money, did they!  C-O-O-L !

LOLWhat are you talking, we say that all the time down south.LOL  And you don't have to go deep into it either.  No kidding!  Wait until you hear, I heared instead of I heard.

I kill't that.

takeemtothebank