Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 2:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

one week to go--Sopranos new season

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 11 years ago by jim695.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Columbia City, Indiana
United States
Member #2978
December 9, 2003
381 Posts
Posted: March 13, 2006, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

I'm a big fan of the show, too, but I'm reserving judgment until I've seen a few more episodes of the new season. I have seasons 1 through 5 on DVD, but the show seems to have lost some continuity with all these new characters in the season premiere.

We had never seen this guy before, the guy who inherited the two mil from his aunt. It struck me as being more than a little contrived to introduce him, then frantically build his character into someone we're supposed to care about just so they could show him in his death throes as he does his best impression of a yo-yo in his garage (which, by the way, wasn't a very good one - what he did could only be called a yo). This was a long way to go for the obvious allegory that Family Comes First (Tony tells him, "You took an oath ..." He couldn't get out of "this thing of ours," so he offs himself so his wife and kids can have their dream house in Florida).

Foreshadowing is a staple of any good organized crime saga, and normally I think they do a good job with it. This character, "Rusty," though, whom we met for the first time in the funeral scene, seemed remarkably out-of-place, as did many of the new characters we've never seen, as though they were inserted with a shoehorn. Again, I think the message here is, "A lot has happened since you've been gone, viewer ..."

Just my opinion, mind you, but there were several points in the episode when I felt that the writers painted themselves into a corner, and then didn't know what to do next, so they just got up and walked over wet paint to get to the next scene. 

Anyway, moving on ...

I look for Janice The Pig to betray Tony when she overestimates her position and makes a power grab. She'll try to manipulate things in order to elevate Bobby's position, believing she'll be pulling the strings behind the scenes (much like Livia did with Uncle Junior, when she tried to have Tony killed for putting her in Green Grove). I don't think her husband is as weak as she believes he is, a lesson she'll learn the hard way.

I think Christopher will be the one to pull the trigger on Philly Leotardo (wish I could do it; I hate that guy). Everything will come together for Chrissy as Tony is recovering from the present his uncle gave him at the end of the episode. When Phil has Johnny Sack killed in prison, Christopher will realize what's going on, and he'll take Phil out before he can move against the Soprano Family, but not before Phil's crew kills Paulie Walnuts.

Vinnie has delusions of becoming Boss one day. His hopes will be dashed once his little secret is exposed when he's caught going down on some guy. After that, he won't have to worry about his weight anymore; there are no calories in bullets.

Carmella will finally get her house built, and then will revert to her plans to leave Tony, believing she'll live happily ever after in her new home, which she tricked Tony into paying for. That ain't gonna happen; Carmella will be invited to move in with Adriana, and then she'll settle down and accept the life she chose when she married Tony.

Meadow is a smart girl, and she might ring in with some surprising insights in order to protect her father. I think this will be the season when she realizes and accepts that she is a Soprano after all, and that nothing she does will ever change that. Her criticism of her father and his lifestyle will turn to admiration and respect, and she'll be instrumental in helping Tony as he tries to save his crumbling empire.

A. J. could go either way. He might get busted for drug possession or something equally stupid, and the feds will offer to give him a walk in return for gathering information about his father. Sleazy, I know, but that's the feds for you (as they're portrayed on the series, anyway). On the other hand, he might become a bargaining chip when he's snatched and held hostage by their rivals in New York after Christopher declares war. 

Finally, Silvio will come up with a scam involving lottery tickets.

Well, somebody had to say it ...

Regardless of whether these things come to pass, in my opinion it's one of the two best shows on television today (the other being "Monk" on USA).

It's like a soap opera with guns and baseball bats. What could be better?

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

Coastal Georgia
    United States
    Member #2653
    October 30, 2003
    1866 Posts
    Posted: March 13, 2006, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

Jim,

Excellent post, but one correction:

We have seen the guy before he inherited the $$... Just last season....

Remember the scene at the construction site with Meadow's boyfriend Finn ( sp ?) ?

The guys were sitting around doing nothing( of course ) and two of them got into a little pi**ing match and our guy from last night gets up and drills the other one in the head with a bottle of snapple, then kicks the s**t out of him.

Vito was there and told our guy to leave- he thought he saw a couple of ___ running away. 

Finn threw up and was too scared to say anything from that point.....

Columbia City, Indiana
      United States
      Member #2978
      December 9, 2003
      381 Posts
      Posted: March 17, 2006, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

DD:

Thanks for the heads-up - you are correct, sir (or madam).

I do recall that scene at the Esplande last season. However, Dangling Boy was still a minor character at best, so I'm sticking to my original point: The writers spent the greater part of the season premiere developing that character, for no other purpose than to kill him off in order to show the viewer that Family Comes First, whether it's his family (wife & kids) or his Family (This Thing of Ours).

It just seemed very contrived to me; as though a few pieces of the puzzle didn't quite fit together, so they just grabbed a hammer and forced them into place. It was a long way to go to demonstrate something loyal viewers already realize.

It's rumored that this will be the final season, so the requisite lesson that, in the end, Crime Doesn't Pay can't be far off. I'll be very disappointed should this prove to be the case, as my own experiences over the past four years have proven this concept to be a total fallacy (with regard to the Hoosier Lottery). This was a great lesson for the children of yesteryear, but it's simply not applicable today. Realistically, crime does indeed pay, and it pays very well, provided it's carried out on a sufficiently massive scale.

Elected officials, police officers and sitting judges still accept bribes, illegal deals are struck behind closed doors or in midnight sessions and nepotism still runs rampant in all branches, and on all levels, of government.

The Sopranos is a very well-written and believable show, but I hope the writers and producers don't throw all of that away and allow it to degenerate into something we've already seen a million times. 

Jim

Coastal Georgia
        United States
        Member #2653
        October 30, 2003
        1866 Posts
        Posted: March 17, 2006, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!  Excellent observations Jim. 

BTW,  I am a 48 year old red blooded American male.

Regardless of how things turn out, I will never forget that I an witnessing the best that TV has had to offer to this point.

" Uncle June, go upstairs and get your teeth.

no, Uncle June that is a pistol. oh sh**"  !!!

DD

Jorli D's avatar - nw saucyelf2.jpg
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #2448
          October 4, 2003
          26081 Posts
          Posted: March 19, 2006, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

Another great episode tonight.  My guess is Tony is in purgatory.

Coastal Georgia
            United States
            Member #2653
            October 30, 2003
            1866 Posts
            Posted: March 20, 2006, 8:20 am - IP Logged

There is going to be quite a power struggle while Tony is in the hospital.

Columbia City, Indiana
              United States
              Member #2978
              December 9, 2003
              381 Posts
              Posted: March 20, 2006, 9:58 am - IP Logged

Jorli D:

I hope you're right, but I'll drop HBO if it turns out that the entire series has been nothing more than the Alzheimer's Syndrome-induced delusions of some traveling salesman.

DoubleDown:

We'll know more next week (I have a pretty good grasp of the obvious), but I thought the preview trailer was actually better than the second episode.

Also, Meadow screwed me; she told me that we would see the season premiere and the second episode when she announced the free preview of HBO, so I announced it here on the forum. I don't think they showed the encore, so now I'm looking over my shoulder all the time, wondering when some disgruntled LP.com member is going to emerge from the shadows, seeking his revenge.

I might have to enter the program; maybe take Gino's place in Florida... Dang! ... I shouldn't have said that...

Jim

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23345 Posts
                Posted: March 20, 2006, 10:17 am - IP Logged

Jim:  I believe the guy doing the yo-yo in his basement was "made" at the same time as Chris, so he's definitely been around before.

I don't know how anyone can call last night's episode "excellent".  It completely stunk up the room, after an excellent debut last week.  Edie Falco did a nice acting job, but Meadow and AJ stunk.  The dreams are el-stinko.

The bottom line last night:  Nothing happened.  I could have completely skipped the episoide, and I wouldn't have missed any important plot points.  Why bother?  Pitiful.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Coastal Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #2653
                  October 30, 2003
                  1866 Posts
                  Posted: March 20, 2006, 10:31 am - IP Logged

Jim:  I believe the guy doing the yo-yo in his basement was "made" at the same time as Chris, so he's definitely been around before.

I don't know how anyone can call last night's episode "excellent".  It completely stunk up the room, after an excellent debut last week.  Edie Falco did a nice acting job, but Meadow and AJ stunk.  The dreams are el-stinko.

The bottom line last night:  Nothing happened.  I could have completely skipped the episoide, and I wouldn't have missed any important plot points.  Why bother?  Pitiful.

Todd,

I agree last nigh't episode stunk up the show, but just wait til next episode. Betcha it will rock our socks off.

I've seen this before- el stinko gets us riledup , then BOOM !

You heard it here first....

DD

Miss Bee's avatar - strawberry
                    nashville
                    United States
                    Member #4990
                    June 8, 2004
                    1376 Posts
                    Posted: March 20, 2006, 10:39 am - IP Logged

I also was dissapointed last night, I hate dream episodes... makes me crazy, I do think next week will be better, Just curious to see how many others the FBI has flipped, I agree about edie Carm, did an excellent job, aJs new persona is as likable as last years, smile... I guess typical teenager right, Looking forward to next week also.

Jorli D's avatar - nw saucyelf2.jpg
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #2448
                      October 4, 2003
                      26081 Posts
                      Posted: March 20, 2006, 10:45 am - IP Logged

Todd,

I agree last nigh't episode stunk up the show, but just wait til next episode. Betcha it will rock our socks off.

I've seen this before- el stinko gets us riledup , then BOOM !

You heard it here first....

DD

DD:  I hope you're right, because I have a feeling the rest of Tony's role in the Sopranos will be dream/purgatory sequences, until the final episode when he dies.  I hope not, but I still think last nights episode kept you guessing and it showed the beginnings of the power struggle.

Columbia City, Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #2978
                        December 9, 2003
                        381 Posts
                        Posted: March 20, 2006, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I conceded the point about Gino - a minor supporting character, and not a very memorable one, at least from where I sit. I just couldn't see wasting all the development on this guy in the premier, just to kill him off in forty-five minutes, in order to make a point. I can only hope it will turn out to be foreshadowing for upcoming events, but I could have gone the entire season without knowing anything more about the guy and, like you said, I wouldn't have missed anything.

The first episode was so far removed from previous seasons that it changed the texture of the entire series. Case in point: Agent Harris had been heading up a task force for the past five years, whose sole purpose was to bring down Tony Soprano and his organization. Suddenly and without explanation, this organized crime expert has been transferred to an anti-terrorist unit. Could it be that Achmed and Mohammad, with whom Christopher spoke briefly last night as they sat at the bar in the Bing, will turn out to be members of a terrorist cell? How convenient... and how terribly contrived; the writers seem to be trying to force current events into the show in a tired attempt to make it more socially relevant. It's superfluous, in my opinion; if I want to see terrorists at 9 pm on Sundays, I'll watch the news.

I agree completely with Todd's point that nothing of any consequence happened last night. I might have been more intrigued if I'd never seen the show before but, as a loyal viewer, I have to admit, I was very disappointed. Maybe it's my fault -  I've come to expect more from the writers; they seem to be getting lazy, or maybe they're just burned out and are anxious to put the show to bed, if indeed this proves to be the final season.

One glaring discrepancy struck me from last night's show, moreso than any other. In the premiere, Uncle Junior shoots Tony in the upper right chest (if you watch closely, you'll see the bullet strike him), but Tony's incision would indicate a shot closer to center mass, and below his sternum; almost always an instantly fatal wound. His doctor, however, tells Carmella and Meadow that the bullet struck Tony's pancreas and gall bladder. The problem lies in the fact that the pancreas lies behind the stomach, mostly on the left side of the body, while the gall bladder is tucked behind the liver, just above the right kidney. Somebody dropped the ball here and, foreshadowing aside, they can't go back and fix this one. 

Where's Doctor Melfi? The entire series was based on the bizarre concept of a mob boss who must seek conventional methods to deal with overwhelming internal conflicts. The relationship between Tony and his psychiatrist provided some of the most compelling scenes the series had to offer. Tony's dreams served as a nice compliment to that symbiosis, but those dreams were essential to the flow of the series, and offered some tasty insights into Tony's decision-making and thought processes.

For example, during an episode of food poisoning, Tony figures out, in a dream, that one of his most trusted captains, Big "Pushy" (for the sake of the profanity filter) Bompansero, is an FBI informant. Pushy speaks to Tony as a fish in a market along the boardwalk at Coney Island. Tony asks him, "How much?" and Pushy gives him his price - eight dollars a pound. That was one of the most haunting and best-written scenes of the entire series. While Tony doesn't really want to believe it, he simply can't ignore the signs any longer. 

Another good dream sequence was when Tony was dreaming about reuniting with Carmella, and she tells him there are some conditions. "Like what?" Tony asks from atop a magnificent steed in the living room. "Well," says Carmella, "for one thing, you can't have your horse ("whores") in here." "Why not?" asks Tony. Carmella shoots back, "Are you kidding? The mess - the smell?" 

Brilliant!

I'm sticking to my guns; I'll reserve judgment until I can assess whether the writers and producers are trying to fix something that wasn't broken. So far, though, I'm not impressed.

Jim