Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

News Conference

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 11 years ago by mylollipop.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Would you hold a news conference if you won the jackpot?

YES. I would want to get it over with. [ 9 ]  [26.47%]
NO. I wouldn't want the public to see me. [ 25 ]  [73.53%]
Total Valid Votes [ 34 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
482 Posts
Posted: March 9, 2006, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

The 8 ConAgra meat workers in Nebraska held a nationwide news conference when they won the $365 million Powerball jackpot.  But the general public now knows what they look like.  Did they make the right move?  What would you do?  What are your thoughts?

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10351 Posts
    Posted: March 9, 2006, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

If I could get away with no, not in any way, shape, or form.

md
      United States
      Member #14047
      April 20, 2005
      579 Posts
      Posted: March 9, 2006, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

If I could avoid it, I would.  If it is an extremely large jackpot, near a record setting amount I would do it asap to get that past me.  But if it is a relatively small one in comparison, I would avoid it like the plague.

Sparta, NJ
        United States
        Member #18331
        July 9, 2005
        1977 Posts
        Posted: March 9, 2006, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

How big of a picture can I have in the newspapers and televisions?  As long as it can be used for a gain, like helping me get an advance, Chewie would be referred to as SmileyFace!  I've had my name and picture in magazines, television, and newspapers already, and got zilch for it.  A $100M or $200M win wouldn't stop me.  Its like that cardboard check,  I WANT IT!  It would look so cool over my fireplace.  That bear head would be transported to the dump!

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
          Member #23806
          October 16, 2005
          188 Posts
          Posted: March 9, 2006, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

Dude.. its Nebraska.. I would get the hell out of Dodge, regardless!!

I would move to a different country.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
            Member #14
            November 9, 2001
            31347 Posts
            Posted: March 9, 2006, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

no.

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
              Member #33085
              February 18, 2006
              743 Posts
              Posted: March 9, 2006, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

\no. I know too many po folk.

melbrown425's avatar - ginger
                College Park
                United States
                Member #29577
                January 3, 2006
                73 Posts
                Posted: March 9, 2006, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

NO WAY!!!! I would definetely stay out of the limelight; I don't want anyone to know if I won any jackpot!  I know too many leeches...........

Coastal Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #2653
                  October 30, 2003
                  1866 Posts
                  Posted: March 9, 2006, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

I say yes. I could disappear real quick, but those that know me know that I would be at Caesars so fast it would make your head spin like a slot machine... 

I know way too many people that would suddenly try to get friendly- So, I Just got to say one thing:

Try to find me.          Surrender

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                    PA
                    United States
                    Member #22983
                    October 6, 2005
                    2226 Posts
                    Posted: March 10, 2006, 1:20 am - IP Logged

Sure, may as well get it over with as opposed to being hunted for the rest of my life. My goal would be to bore people to death with my story...

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: March 10, 2006, 3:45 am - IP Logged

I didn't think a winner had a choice. If so, my answer would definitely be "NO" because I'm afraid that people from my past would suddenly appear at my door, and relatives who haven't called me in a long time would start to invite me over for dinner.  I've already said that if I win, the first thing I'll do is move. I'll never forget the time a man from the Hitching Post, a trailer park in Naples, won the FL lottery. His neighbors were being interviewed on the 11:00 news and the only thing they could say was "One day he was here and the next he was gone. Don't know where he went."  I decided that was a good plan! 

PA
                        United States
                        Member #22983
                        October 6, 2005
                        2226 Posts
                        Posted: March 10, 2006, 4:48 am - IP Logged

I would not mind winning a smaller jackpot a few weeks after a record jackpot win. Then I would remain invisible. I say a few weeks because I would not want to make the news for a 'back to back' jackpot win. While the media is interviewing the $400 million dollar winners, I sneak quietly out the back door with my mere $50 million.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10351 Posts
                          Posted: March 10, 2006, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

Chewie

" As long as it can be used for a gain, like helping me get an advance,"

I'm just curious, in several threads you've mentioned taking out loans if you won a jackpot. If you came into multi-millions, why, oh why, would you take out loans?

PA
                            United States
                            Member #22983
                            October 6, 2005
                            2226 Posts
                            Posted: March 10, 2006, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

No loans for me, I have a lot of patience and could wait for my loot. Once the money has been deposited, then the fun begins. No hurry, good things come to those who wait.

Sparta, NJ
                              United States
                              Member #18331
                              July 9, 2005
                              1977 Posts
                              Posted: March 10, 2006, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

Chewie

" As long as it can be used for a gain, like helping me get an advance,"

I'm just curious, in several threads you've mentioned taking out loans if you won a jackpot. If you came into multi-millions, why, oh why, would you take out loans?

For the same reason I would not sit on a winning ticket and let the world go around another hundred revolutions.  Get the money, have the money.  Get an advance of a few million, and bail for pleasure-dome.  I inter-mix the term loan and advance.  It matters not to me.  Get the money, have the money.  The sooner it is MINE, the sooner I can start the care-free life.  Money is POWER.  Money in your name is your power.  Money not in your name is not your power.  Every one in the services business bends to the power of money.  The sooner I have the money, the sooner everything in my life is done my way.

Chauffers cost money. Tailored suits from Italy cost money.  Hand made shoes from Spain cost money.  Fitted underwear from London cost money.  Hand made shirts from Ireland cost money.  Leased Boeing 737 Business Jets cost money.  Luxury hotels and unimaginable meals in Monte Carlo cost money.  Limo's on standby 24-7 cost money. Satellite Video Conference Systems for all your friends cost money.  Lawyers, accountants, advisers, and beautiful woman hanging around to pleasure me and my friends cost money.  Getting my daughter and her children out of the house they are in, and into a Montana horse ranch cost money.  Private tutors and security for them cost money.  A Condo in Honolulu, for my best friend, and her children, cost money.  Do it now, or wait 30 days?  I see zero logic in waiting 30 days!  Doers do, waiters, wait.

If I hit the jackpot, I have no intention of sitting around continuing the dream of "what would I do" - I want to start doing it immediately, if not sooner.  The quickest way to start that achievement, is to get the money.  A loan, or advance, or whatever phrase that works, is the first step towards unrestricted  fun.  Get money, have money.  Waiting for 30 days to pass, is NOT having the money for 30 days, is not have unrestricted fun for 30 days.  I only want a couple of million to hold me over, until the lottery transfer the funds.  That is not asking a lot!  How much can an advance cost, 3%, 4%, 6%?  Who cares.  It is only money.  If you're afraid to spend it, don't wish for it!

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice