Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerplay 10X (2nd Poll)

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 11 years ago by ryanm.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Should Powerball make the 10X Powerplay Permanent?

Yes [ 20 ]  [90.91%]
No [ 2 ]  [9.09%]
Total Valid Votes [ 22 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
md
United States
Member #14047
April 20, 2005
579 Posts
Posted: March 12, 2006, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

I think they should make it permanent, and I think they will.

Indiana
    United States
    Member #29196
    December 29, 2005
    280 Posts
    Posted: March 12, 2006, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

I agree that they should but I don't know that they will.  With the new matrix the way it is it seems to me like fewer and fewer people are hitting five numbers.  In fact I'm hitting less and less.

Jim 

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

Morrison, IL
      United States
      Member #4657
      May 13, 2004
      1884 Posts
      Posted: March 12, 2006, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

The second place winners have been hitting less than statistically expected lately, probably to make up for those two times last year when more than 80 players hit 5 out of 5. As for the 10x, I doubt they'd make it permanent, otherwise some participating lotteries could go broke if someone had 5 out of 5 with PowerPlay and 10x came up, especially the Virgin Islands lottery.

United States
        Member #33085
        February 18, 2006
        743 Posts
        Posted: March 12, 2006, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

If they keep the 10X then chances are it would become more difficult to win the powerball.  They will hold out longer for the jackpot wins because there would be more smaller wins.

Indiana
          United States
          Member #29196
          December 29, 2005
          280 Posts
          Posted: March 12, 2006, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

I think the lack of second place winners has more to do with the new matrix than with some sort of statistical correction.  And at least one of those times last year was due to the fortune cookie fluke.

As for offering 10 X's on a regular basis.  They will do it if they see a significant increase in Powerplay revenue but given the jackpot numbers I see (or more appropriately the cash value numbers I see) I doubt if that's really happening.  The bottom line is if the incoming revenue is significantly greater than the prize payouts they will continue to offer it.

As far as I'm concerned it's just too damn bad if the smaller lotteries cry and whine about going broke.  They are raking in profits on a game that quite frankly rarely pays off in a big way for all but a very rare few.

Jim 

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
            Pennsylvania
            United States
            Member #1340
            April 6, 2003
            2450 Posts
            Posted: March 12, 2006, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

there are 16 spots on the wheel

2-3-4-5-2-3-4-5-2-3-4-5-2-3-4-5

the 10x is nice, (2-3-4-5-2-3-4-5-2-3-4-5-2-3-4-10)

but I would rather see

2-3-4-5-6-7-8-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

and make that permanent

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

United States
              Member #1826
              July 11, 2003
              2645 Posts
              Posted: March 12, 2006, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

there are 16 spots on the wheel

2-3-4-5-2-3-4-5-2-3-4-5-2-3-4-5

the 10x is nice, (2-3-4-5-2-3-4-5-2-3-4-5-2-3-4-10)

but I would rather see

2-3-4-5-6-7-8-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

and make that permanent

I never thought about that. That would be nice to see. I'll do some calculations later to see if it's feasible too.

(insert signature here)

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                Mcminnville, Oregon
                United States
                Member #3013
                December 13, 2003
                3047 Posts
                Posted: March 12, 2006, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

I suggested to Musl to add 6x,7x,8x,9x,10x permanently to the powerplay wheel and reduce the 2x, 3x,4x,5x slots to make it work.  They said that they could not afford to have those slots higher all the time.  So I guess they would not be making enough profit to have it permanently.-weshar75

Morrison, IL
                  United States
                  Member #4657
                  May 13, 2004
                  1884 Posts
                  Posted: March 12, 2006, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

I think the lack of second place winners has more to do with the new matrix than with some sort of statistical correction.  And at least one of those times last year was due to the fortune cookie fluke.

As for offering 10 X's on a regular basis.  They will do it if they see a significant increase in Powerplay revenue but given the jackpot numbers I see (or more appropriately the cash value numbers I see) I doubt if that's really happening.  The bottom line is if the incoming revenue is significantly greater than the prize payouts they will continue to offer it.

As far as I'm concerned it's just too damn bad if the smaller lotteries cry and whine about going broke.  They are raking in profits on a game that quite frankly rarely pays off in a big way for all but a very rare few.

Jim 

Even with the new matrix, the MUSL statistically expected five match 5 winners for last night's draw yet got only two. It's just luck of the draw. As for the jackpot size, you can't estimate PowerPlay sales from that because the extra $1 does not go toward the jackpot.

Lotteries are supposed to pay off big for only a few, especially Powerball and Mega Millions. If you want to play a game that gets won all the time, try playing your own in-state lottery games. It's either higher prizes and few winners or lower top prizes and more winners. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
                    sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                    PA
                    United States
                    Member #22983
                    October 6, 2005
                    2226 Posts
                    Posted: March 12, 2006, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

Hmmmmmm yeah finally a 10x and NO second place winners here, and 4 3rd place winners. Coincidence, or a conspiracy? Skeptical

0 Pennsylvania players matched 5 of 5 and the Power Ball; next estimated jackpot $75,000,000.00
                    0 Pennsylvania players matched 5 of 5, each receiving $200,000.00
                    4 Pennsylvania players matched 4 of 5 and the Power Ball, each receiving $10,000.00

True the last many draws have not had many winners either, but I think that was planned too. Less suspicious looking, makes for good defense.

Course you go back to the beginning of the year and on, and it seems as though there was always winners for second prize, and under the same matrix.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                      PA
                      United States
                      Member #22983
                      October 6, 2005
                      2226 Posts
                      Posted: March 12, 2006, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

"If you want to play a game that gets won all the time, try playing your own in-state lottery games. It's either higher prizes and few winners or lower top prizes and more winners. You can't have your cake and eat it too." I play both, and ironically I have always had better pay offs with the jackpot games than the smaller games. I am not sure if that is good or bad. I have won far more via lucky for life, match 6, and powerball overall. If you can't eat your own cake, why bother even making it? Cakes were meant to be eaten...

md
                        United States
                        Member #14047
                        April 20, 2005
                        579 Posts
                        Posted: March 23, 2006, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

It doesn't look good for the 10X Powerplay promotion isn't doing good. 

md
                          United States
                          Member #14047
                          April 20, 2005
                          579 Posts
                          Posted: March 25, 2006, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

Two more chances for 10X Powerplay. Tonight and Wednesday!

Morrison, IL
                            United States
                            Member #4657
                            May 13, 2004
                            1884 Posts
                            Posted: March 26, 2006, 1:16 am - IP Logged

One more now.