Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Natural Diasaster Lottery

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 11 years ago by dvdiva.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Would you vote for a national Disaster Lottery for all states

No, we have PB in our state [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
No, we have MM in our state [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
No [ 6 ]  [33.33%]
No, MM and PB are enough [ 2 ]  [11.11%]
Yes [ 6 ]  [33.33%]
Yes, if the jackpots are larger [ 3 ]  [16.67%]
Not sure [ 1 ]  [5.56%]
Total Valid Votes [ 18 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
Member #24380
October 21, 2005
623 Posts
Posted: March 16, 2006, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

Having lived through many, many hurricanes in my lifetime, I found Hurricane Katrina to be the most devasting to me and others in surrounding states.  Lotteries fund education; that is good.  We need a lottery to fund natural disaters like Katrina.  And believe me, we are going to experience more.  Texas is on fire, now.  The waters have not cooled sufficiently to have a mild hurricane season, so we are going to have another year of disaster. 

Agencies have given and given and still there are people who are homeless, jobless...The giving is going to run out----and soon.  I think we should think ahead and have funds for a national disater lottery.  What do you think?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10354 Posts
    Posted: March 16, 2006, 11:51 pm - IP Logged

It's a good idea "on paper" but what happens is a dependence on such funds once they start coming in. As seen over and over again in many states, the "lotto bucks for education" just doesn't happen.

The technology is there, I'd like to see tickets where you choose "should my dollar not win I'd like it to go towards:

Fire Dep't

Police

Libraries

Disaster Relief

Governor's lunch fund" lol

etc....... 

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: March 17, 2006, 2:32 am - IP Logged

Even though there is corruption, it's still better to have some families benefit, than none at all.

With that kind of jackpot, someone should hire an unbiased, objective, non-partisan group of people to oversee and weed out the cancer. Just imagine helping real people and not some governmental bureau which does well with pork spending......LOL

United States
        Member #24380
        October 21, 2005
        623 Posts
        Posted: March 17, 2006, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss and pacattack05, I can appreciate your comments.  I envision one; we need one and definitely the piglets will be cut off from their bacon! LOL

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
          Magnolia, Delaware
          United States
          Member #18795
          July 20, 2005
          789 Posts
          Posted: March 21, 2006, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

I say "NO" to any lottery to fund anything of the sort. I wouldn't trust the government or any other agency to handle that vast amount of money that a lottery would generate! Have insurance at the going rate and pay it or don't live there! If you live where those types of disasters happen, you pay the piper to live there. Otherwise get out and find a place where you can afford the insurance to insure your house and other property for the other types of disasters that may arise where ever you have chosen to live! 

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

United States
            Member #24380
            October 21, 2005
            623 Posts
            Posted: March 28, 2006, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

I say "NO" to any lottery to fund anything of the sort. I wouldn't trust the government or any other agency to handle that vast amount of money that a lottery would generate! Have insurance at the going rate and pay it or don't live there! If you live where those types of disasters happen, you pay the piper to live there. Otherwise get out and find a place where you can afford the insurance to insure your house and other property for the other types of disasters that may arise where ever you have chosen to live! 

Barista, hurricanes have been the most talked about disasters, but we have had other natural disasters as well as terrosism.  Could the people in the World Trade Center on that fateful September 11 known that they would experience that travesty?  The recent fires in Texas where lives and much property was lost.  Move from Texas, it might be too dry?  The floods up the east coast in 2004, move from the east coast; you are likely to get the tropical storms after the hurricanes.  Move from California, not only do they have earthquakes, they have large fires too.  The fact of the matter is; disaster happens.  Where is not always a certainty.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
              Member #2338
              September 17, 2003
              2063 Posts
              Posted: March 28, 2006, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

For all states imply a federal rather than state lottery. There is no way a federal lottery would work since it's currently up to the states to decide all gaming regulations so the whole discussion is a moot point.

If it comes to federal rules rather than state rules then the first rule should be tax-exemption for all government lotteries. That would help sales right away.