Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 11:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Hoosier Leadership and Basic Math...

Topic closed. 1 reply. Last post 11 years ago by Raven62.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Columbia City, Indiana
United States
Member #2978
December 9, 2003
381 Posts
Posted: March 18, 2006, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

Below is an article I found yesterday on IndyStar.com.

In order to appreciate the gravity of the situation, I'll have to give you some background information on how this came about.

Governor Mitch Daniels and our state legislature decided to lease our toll road to a foreign company for seventy-five years in return for a one-time payment of $3.85 billion dollars. Over 60% of the citizens of Indiana were opposed to this deal, but they went ahead and pushed it through anyway, in a late-night session last Tuesday.

While this article doesn't relate directly to the games, it will give you some idea of the legislative "fiscal" mentality LosingJeff and I battle every day in our efforts to expose the Hoosier Lottery.

As you read the article, remember that the ink on the check isn't even dry yet. With that in mind, see if you can spot what's wrong with this picture. I have to wonder if these reporters even read their own articles.

7:42 AM March 17, 2006

Ind., Ky. to build new bridge
March 17, 2006

MADISON, Ind. -- Indiana highway officials this week committed to build a new bridge across the Ohio River in Jefferson County with the help of their counterparts in Kentucky.

The bridge would replace a narrow, 77-year-old span that carries more traffic than was originally anticipated.

"This is long overdue," said state Rep. Billy Bright, R-North Vernon. "I've traveled this bridge a lot. It's very tight, and there's no room for error. It's dangerous."

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet already had the project in its six-year plan, with about $15 million slated for design work through 2008, along with $20 million for construction.

The project was not part of Indiana's 10-year highway plan.
But Indiana Department of Transportation Commissioner Tom Sharp on Tuesday said in a letter to Bright that his department would adjust priorities to match the Kentucky plan.

"This will be a big project," he wrote.

The bridge, which would connect Madison, Ind., and Milton, Ky., was last upgraded in the late 1990s after Kentucky transportation officials labeled it dangerous and limited the traffic that could travel it.

Andrea Clifford, spokeswoman for the Kentucky cabinet's Louisville district, said Wednesday the state hopes to hire a consultant to help design the bridge this spring.

Public hearings could begin next year, with construction expected to begin in 2012.

Madison Mayor Al Huntington said several months of lobbying transportation officials in Indiana to cooperate with Kentucky might be paying off.

"Each time I went to Sharp, I would tell him Kentucky was making progress," he said.

About 400 people from Kentucky commute to Jefferson County for work, and about 1,100 people from the county work in Kentucky, according to the Indiana Business Research Center.

The bridge would cost Indiana as much as $200 million, which would be paid for with federal money and proceeds from the planned lease of the Indiana Toll Road, transportation officials said.

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49618 Posts
    Posted: March 19, 2006, 11:55 am - IP Logged

Below is an article I found yesterday on IndyStar.com.

In order to appreciate the gravity of the situation, I'll have to give you some background information on how this came about.

Governor Mitch Daniels and our state legislature decided to lease our toll road to a foreign company for seventy-five years in return for a one-time payment of $3.85 billion dollars. Over 60% of the citizens of Indiana were opposed to this deal, but they went ahead and pushed it through anyway, in a late-night session last Tuesday.

While this article doesn't relate directly to the games, it will give you some idea of the legislative "fiscal" mentality LosingJeff and I battle every day in our efforts to expose the Hoosier Lottery.

As you read the article, remember that the ink on the check isn't even dry yet. With that in mind, see if you can spot what's wrong with this picture. I have to wonder if these reporters even read their own articles.

7:42 AM March 17, 2006

Ind., Ky. to build new bridge
    March 17, 2006

MADISON, Ind. -- Indiana highway officials this week committed to build a new bridge across the Ohio River in Jefferson County with the help of their counterparts in Kentucky.

The bridge would replace a narrow, 77-year-old span that carries more traffic than was originally anticipated.

"This is long overdue," said state Rep. Billy Bright, R-North Vernon. "I've traveled this bridge a lot. It's very tight, and there's no room for error. It's dangerous."

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet already had the project in its six-year plan, with about $15 million slated for design work through 2008, along with $20 million for construction.

The project was not part of Indiana's 10-year highway plan.
    But Indiana Department of Transportation Commissioner Tom Sharp on Tuesday said in a letter to Bright that his department would adjust priorities to match the Kentucky plan.

"This will be a big project," he wrote.

The bridge, which would connect Madison, Ind., and Milton, Ky., was last upgraded in the late 1990s after Kentucky transportation officials labeled it dangerous and limited the traffic that could travel it.

Andrea Clifford, spokeswoman for the Kentucky cabinet's Louisville district, said Wednesday the state hopes to hire a consultant to help design the bridge this spring.

Public hearings could begin next year, with construction expected to begin in 2012.

Madison Mayor Al Huntington said several months of lobbying transportation officials in Indiana to cooperate with Kentucky might be paying off.

"Each time I went to Sharp, I would tell him Kentucky was making progress," he said.

About 400 people from Kentucky commute to Jefferson County for work, and about 1,100 people from the county work in Kentucky, according to the Indiana Business Research Center.

The bridge would cost Indiana as much as $200 million, which would be paid for with federal money and proceeds from the planned lease of the Indiana Toll Road, transportation officials said.

Ignorance truly is bliss...