Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 1:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

checking lotto tickets..

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 11 years ago by dvdiva.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

do people trust lotto machines ??

yes [ 7 ]  [41.18%]
no [ 5 ]  [29.41%]
sometimes [ 5 ]  [29.41%]
Total Valid Votes [ 17 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
the windy city
United States
Member #28414
December 15, 2005
1 Posts
Posted: March 19, 2006, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

i,m sure everyone who reads this website is 100 % savvy on the do,s and don,ts of the lotto industry,   so my question is, do people trust checking thier lotto tickets on a machine in their local store ?? or do you only check your tickets at home ?,
and if you were to find out that you won the jackpot from a lotto machine in a store,   would you hide your face , and quickly leave the store ?

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49752 Posts
    Posted: March 19, 2006, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

What is the point of your poll?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: March 19, 2006, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't call myself "100% savvy" on anything (except losing money!) but this has been a subject many times on this board.  The best advice has always been to check your numbers online and/or in the paper and double-check them in case of error.  I think most of us agree that it's not wise to ask a clerk to check your numbers. (a) he/she might make a mistake and (b) he/she might be dishonest.  There have been a couple of articles posted where a cashier at a store stole a winning ticket from a customer. Even when I only win $5, I always hand my ticket to the person behind the counter and say "I won $5 on this ticket" the same way I say "here's a twenty" at McDonalds. In my opinion, you've got to think of each ticket as cash or you're not taking the games seriously. As far as walking out of the store goes, it wouldn't happen because I'd go straight to the lottery office. The people who don't care just stand there and brag, although the most I've seen someone win was on a scratch ticket, although I still wouldn't claim $10,000 at a supermarket since you can't collect it there anyway. Anyway, if by some miracle you did win a million bucks, why would anyone want to walk to his car with everyone knowing he's got that ticket in his back pocket? It's done all the time, but I'd be too nervous. Again, I guess it's all how you view a lottery ticket. If you realize it's the same as cash, then you certainly wouldn't put a large sum of money in your back pocket and let everyone know as you walk to your car and drive home, would you?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10351 Posts
        Posted: March 19, 2006, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

A guy here managed a convenience store for a couple of years and he will not check his tickets in those machines now, he says he just doesn't trust them.

He swears the machines where the public can check their tickets and the machines behind the counter sometimes do different readings on the same ticket.  

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
          PA
          United States
          Member #22983
          October 6, 2005
          2226 Posts
          Posted: March 20, 2006, 12:11 am - IP Logged

I always check at home first. I actually thought I only won 4 dollars one time, an it was really 12. But usually I am dead on. I believe they should have a screen showing that shows the amount won, not just "winner."

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
            Member #15309
            May 13, 2005
            307 Posts
            Posted: March 27, 2006, 1:12 am - IP Logged

I check my numbers online. I no longer trust those clerks at the retail stores.

One time, I dropped by the corner gas station to redeem my winning ticket. I knew I won $12. The clerk checked my ticket and told me I won. She handed me $3.00. I looked at her quite flustered 'cause I couldn't believe she would cheat me for that little money! And then I told her I knew I won $12.00. She looked at my face and realized she was not dealing with a dummy.   She started to mumble, "I don't speak English, etc..." She was wearing those long flowing sarongs so she could have been from India, Pakistan, or some place in the East.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
              Member #2338
              September 17, 2003
              2063 Posts
              Posted: March 27, 2006, 2:09 am - IP Logged

I can't believe anyone checking tickets in a store. It's far easier to check them at home using the state's website or this one. If it matches you check both websites and then call the lottery office to confirm it with the security code on the ticket. If it's under 500 I just wait until a game gets big then deal with it.

I only check the tickets though after someone has claimed the prize. I want to hold on to the illusion that I still have a chance of winning.