Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball/MM Strategy

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 11 years ago by tg636.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
MA
United States
Member #11452
February 14, 2005
74 Posts
Posted: March 22, 2006, 3:23 am - IP Logged

I've seen this discussed here before:  if you're buying 50+ tickets for Mega Millions or Powerball, why not just buy ever possible megaball/powerball number?

As a caveat, I never look for patterns in old numbers drawn, and assume that numbers are chosen randomly.  I know that this isn't exactly true, but I've decided it's not worth hours and hours of my time to do analysis that might give me an infintesimal advantage.

I live just outside Boston.  I can play mega millions at my corner store, so I do.  I usually play quick picks, unless I'm buying 50+ tickets, in which case I use my computer to sort the tickets by megaball number.  Still use an RNG, though.

But when I play Powerball, I have to drive 30 miles to New Hampshire.  So I don't really want to win 3 frigging bucks.  I buy 30 tickets with the same powerball so if I win, I win at least $90, and if I lose, I don;t have to make an extra trip to NH.  If I've got a big pool, I put all of the money on three powerballs (equally distributed) so that we either make money, break even, or lose everything.  When someone gives you $20 for a pool, you feel dumb giving them $1 the next day.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    PA
    United States
    Member #22983
    October 6, 2005
    2226 Posts
    Posted: March 22, 2006, 4:42 am - IP Logged

Yea I discussed this as well in the other thread. I would rather buy all the same powerball then playing every single powerball. If you play every powerball, the only problem with that is that if you do not hit on your ONE line, you now have 41 useless lines that are only good for 5 of 5 for a top prize, but not a jackpot.

If you buy 50 tickets with the same powerball, and you just happen to see that powerball drawn, your chances of a jackpot win have just increased drastically. It is going to be fun checking all those lines, and you just netted $150 no matter what. But then again your chances of getting that one powerball is not great. 1 in 68.96. I might try this though. But if you miss, you now have 50 useless tickets also. At least as far as winning the jackpot is conerned.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #2338
      September 17, 2003
      2063 Posts
      Posted: March 22, 2006, 9:38 am - IP Logged

If you are playing to hit the Powerball number the odds are 1:42. Those odds are to hit the powerball and no white balls. Still the odds are a little higher than roulette.

United States
        Member #16612
        June 2, 2005
        3493 Posts
        Posted: March 22, 2006, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

In my MM and PB strategy, I don't buy too many tickets. Instead of wasting too much money and lose, our family buys $1 or $2.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
          PA
          United States
          Member #22983
          October 6, 2005
          2226 Posts
          Posted: March 22, 2006, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

If you are playing to hit the Powerball number the odds are 1:42. Those odds are to hit the powerball and no white balls. Still the odds are a little higher than roulette.

The PA site claims the odds of hitting just the powerball are 1 in 68.96, not 1 in 42. Although 1 in 42 makes sense, I think it would take more than 42 draws to pick any said ball if you kept returning the missed balls back to the chamber, hence the higher number.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #2338
            September 17, 2003
            2063 Posts
            Posted: March 22, 2006, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

No, there are 42 balls and only 42 possible combinations. It's not like they are going to draw a .96 ball or "lil' stumpy".

Perhaps the PA lottery has a new way of getting rollovers - having powerballs that aren't covered by quickpicks or play slips. Just imagine the joy when the number 43 Powerball is drawn. But if they are going to have a loser ball that guarantees a rollover than why stop with  numbers.
            They could use letters, that way "YOULOSE" could be a possible combination for pick 7 games. 

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
              Member #28409
              December 15, 2005
              1198 Posts
              Posted: March 23, 2006, 6:46 am - IP Logged

ROFL

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

United States
                Member #972
                December 30, 2002
                465 Posts
                Posted: March 24, 2006, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

The PA site claims the odds of hitting just the powerball are 1 in 68.96, not 1 in 42. Although 1 in 42 makes sense, I think it would take more than 42 draws to pick any said ball if you kept returning the missed balls back to the chamber, hence the higher number.

That would make sense. If  there were only the 42 powerballs, the odds would be 1 in 42. But there is also a slight chance you will have at least one of the five other numbers as well, so it would be harder to hit just the powerball alone.