Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Cash $ 7 million difference PB MM

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 11 years ago by ryanm.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
United States
Member #19651
August 3, 2005
621 Posts
Posted: March 23, 2006, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

The gap on cash jack-pots is closing in .I think MM can surpass PB vary soon

Morrison, IL
    United States
    Member #4657
    May 13, 2004
    1884 Posts
    Posted: March 23, 2006, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

It's disgusting that Mega Millions can get the same cash jackpot in six rolls that Powerball needs eight rolls to obtain. Powerball's jurisdictions just can't compete against the rich state lotteries, even though Powerball has a lot more jurisdictions than Mega Millions.

md
      United States
      Member #14047
      April 20, 2005
      579 Posts
      Posted: March 23, 2006, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I'm always amazed at how MM's cash value surpasses PB's.  I spend more on Powerball now, than MM.  But I have made the decision after the next 3 rolls, to reduce my level of spending on Powerplay.  That is my main attraction to PB.  If MM had a Megaplier, it would blow PB out the water even more so. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19828 Posts
        Posted: March 23, 2006, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

Both MegaMillions and PowerBall states contribute 32% of their sales to the jackpot, so if MM jackpot cash value is climbing faster, it's because MM states are selling more tickets per drawing than the PB states.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23273 Posts
          Posted: March 23, 2006, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

Many people just haven't realized the fact that Mega Millions is now the premier lotto game in the USA.  In every metric it has become superior.

That doesn't mean that Powerball is not an awesome game (it is).  It just means that it has gone from #1 to #2.  And the whole Mega Millions started years ago, largely due to the efforts of Rebecca Paul (then with the Georgia Lottery).

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
            Member #33085
            February 18, 2006
            743 Posts
            Posted: March 23, 2006, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

Can't speak for the masses but: I play both games on a regular basis and have have won more than 10 times the money on Powerball with powerplay than spending the same amount of money on Megamillions tickets. I can buy $20 worth of MM tickets and I might win $3-$7. I have purchased $5 worth of PB tickets w/powerplay and hit for $500 on several occassions. Note these tickets are also quick picks. It just depends on where you play I guess.

Let's just make some money. Little wins can lead to big wins and minimize losses.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19828 Posts
              Posted: March 23, 2006, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

The odds of winning with PowerBall are a little better because it has fewer numbers but that doesn't change the fact that MegaMillions sell more tickets. Both games are awesome which makes it's less likely that players in states that have one of them will travel out of state to play the other unless the jackpot is a record amount.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Morrison, IL
                United States
                Member #4657
                May 13, 2004
                1884 Posts
                Posted: March 23, 2006, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

The only reason Mega sells more is because they have all the big lotteries, and are very picky about what states they let play, whereas Powerball was originally formed by a bunch of small lotteries who could not afford to offer their own rolling jackpot games by themselves, and will pretty much let any state lottery in. Mega Millions formed because Powerball worked too well and was starting to cut into sales of the big lotteries' in-state lotto games.