Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$50 scratch ticket

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 11 years ago by rdc137.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

When will a US lottery offer it?

This year [ 5 ]  [22.73%]
2007 [ 4 ]  [18.18%]
2008 [ 2 ]  [9.09%]
2009 [ 1 ]  [4.55%]
2010 [ 4 ]  [18.18%]
2011 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
2012 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
2013 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
2014 [ 1 ]  [4.55%]
2015 or later [ 5 ]  [22.73%]
Total Valid Votes [ 22 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: March 25, 2006, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

A couple states, including Connecticut, have a $30 scratch ticket. I bought one about a year ago, and won $100.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    PA
    United States
    Member #22983
    October 6, 2005
    2226 Posts
    Posted: March 25, 2006, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

Hopefully never, that is absurd. The only thing I would be scratching is my head if I saw a ticket priced that high. The payout better be $500,000 a year for life at least for that price.

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: March 25, 2006, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

Hopefully never, that is absurd. The only thing I would be scratching is my head if I saw a ticket priced that high. The payout better be $500,000 a year for life at least for that price.

With a cash option. Need I say more.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
        Yinzer Country, PA
        United States
        Member #4067
        March 18, 2004
        2741 Posts
        Posted: March 25, 2006, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

I would imagine that it would happen, but not until inflation makes it possible.  I'll put it this way.  Some of yo may remember back when comic books cost 25 cents.  Now they cost around $2.50.  So what would cost $5 today would eventually cost $50.  That would be when scratch-off tickets would cost $50.  Lotteries would not get THAT greedy just yet unless it was in a state like Connecticut where most of the population is pretty well-off anyway.  They would only sell scratch-off tickets for $50 if they needed to because of the economy.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: March 25, 2006, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

I voted "this year" because nothing surprises me any more.  Even if I had a lot of extra money I wouldn't buy a $50 scratch because I don't like the instant loss. It's an attitude I guess. Even when I had a good job I wouldn't spend $20 on one ticket. However, I think some people might buy a $50 scratch ticket, depending on the prize and the odds. What I don't really like is that at least with every online game, each person who buys a ticket has a shot at winning. Sure, someone who purchases 50 tickets has 49 more chances, but that's not to say the person buying one or two tickets can't win. On the other hand, the instant games costing $30 or $50 a pop, eliminates the people on smaller budgets who can't afford to blow that amount at once.  I live in a wealthy resort community and see people pull hundreds out of their wallets at the counter. I guess anyone can buy as many tickets as they want to increase their chances, but the lottery is supposed to be for everyone who has a buck.  If you live in a PB state with a multiplier, then it's 2 bucks, which is okay although it probably should be just an extra 50 cts.  I just bought a Fantasy 5 ticket (a loser) but I didn't spend the extra dollar for the EZ match.  It doesn't seem worth it. I'm starting to resent how the states are trying to figure out ways to make more and more money without giving more and more back to the people.

What I meant when I said "nothing surprises me" is I watch Deal or No Deal and see ordinary people turning down $200,000 offers when the odds are less than 50/50 of having a better deal. It's insane.  So selling $50 or even $100 scratch tickets doesn't seem that unrealistic since we are living in a world where tossing away money for that big pie in the sky seems to be very "normal."

United States
            Member #36294
            March 30, 2006
            3 Posts
            Posted: March 30, 2006, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

Illinois just came ot with a 20$ ticket last year and they sell like 1$ tickets believe me I sell them a 30$ ticket will be next year and than in 2009 a 50 $ ticket I gaurantee it people that gamble will gamble on almost any level just like im sure 50 years ago a 100 $ slot machine was absurd but its out there and I see people put 50$ down on blackjack whats the difference between that and a scratch off at least with a scrath off the money goes to the local schooo, fund lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

United States
              Member #3676
              February 10, 2004
              425 Posts
              Posted: April 19, 2006, 9:35 am - IP Logged

$50 scratch off tickets better have a payback of at least 80%. I dont think there needs to be huge prizes like 500k a year for life involved with them. I would rather see prizes like 100-250k where the odds of winning those are in the 100k to one ballpark, and not the millions to one that so many states (especially ny) have to get their top prize.

United States
                Member #379
                June 5, 2002
                11296 Posts
                Posted: April 19, 2006, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

$50 scratch off tickets better have a payback of at least 80%. I dont think there needs to be huge prizes like 500k a year for life involved with them. I would rather see prizes like 100-250k where the odds of winning those are in the 100k to one ballpark, and not the millions to one that so many states (especially ny) have to get their top prize.

Since 2000, when Tax-Free Million was retired, all NY "million-dollar" scratches have been annuity-only. NY's $10s and the one $20 are no good for that reason. Many of NY's $5s have the same problem, and we still have a $2 Lose for Life scratch.

Roslindale, MA
                  United States
                  Member #5377
                  July 1, 2004
                  135 Posts
                  Posted: April 19, 2006, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

2014 - that will be New Hampshire's 50th anniversary of their lottery and that sounds like a possible method of "celebration".

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                    Member #14
                    November 9, 2001
                    31343 Posts
                    Posted: April 24, 2006, 12:58 am - IP Logged

yes it is absurd - that's grocery money people would be wasting.

love to nibble those micey feet.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                      Member #2338
                      September 17, 2003
                      2063 Posts
                      Posted: April 24, 2006, 1:09 am - IP Logged

$50 is absurd on one ticket. I plan on spending more than that when Mega breaks 400 but that's  a long wait. To me a $5 scratch ticket is my upper limit. The $10 and $20 tickets just seem too expensive.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: April 24, 2006, 1:13 am - IP Logged

yes it is absurd - that's grocery money people would be wasting.

Hi, Emily. I'm not so sure that would be the case if people purchased $50 or $100 instant game tickets.  It's all relative. There are people who spend more than that for a nice lunch. I do believe the average lottery player isn't in the upper income brackets, but my complaint would only be that if the lottery offers such expensive tickets, then it won't be a game for "the people." I realize that someone who can blow $100 on 100 Lotto tickets has a better chance than someone who only has a dollar. However, that person with the one dollar can still play. Many instant games are already $20. That's too high for most people and, as you wrote, it would be grocery money. I'd hate to see a growth in the number of games available to the chosen few who don't need to worry about the rent or feeding their families.

Edit: Gosh, I just realized I posted on this thread in March and wrote something similar. Sorry, I must be losing my mind.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                          Yinzer Country, PA
                          United States
                          Member #4067
                          March 18, 2004
                          2741 Posts
                          Posted: May 23, 2006, 6:56 am - IP Logged

As I have stated in the $30 game threads, I would be pretty mad at myself if I bought one and didn't win anything.  If states offer a $50 scratch-off, I would expect to see a prize of at least $25 on every ticket.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

United States
                            Member #379
                            June 5, 2002
                            11296 Posts
                            Posted: May 23, 2006, 10:12 am - IP Logged

NY's "million-dollar" scratchers are annuity-only. We did have a "Tax-Free Million" from 1996-2000.

Delaware
                              United States
                              Member #30273
                              January 14, 2006
                              494 Posts
                              Posted: May 27, 2006, 10:18 am - IP Logged

With a cash option. Need I say more.

New York has a $20 ticket that is $10,000/wk/life (or $520,000/yr/life). A $50 should be $20k or $25k/life/yr. Cash option is irrevelent.