Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does hindsight have you frustrated?

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 11 years ago by psykomo.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Washington
United States
Member #34875
March 9, 2006
6 Posts
Posted: March 25, 2006, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

I have been following the Washington state lotto for only a month again after a break of 2 or 3 years.  I have worked out an excel worksheet for all the numbers drawn.  I've  been betting $3 a draw. I thought Mega was out of the question but decided last night to bet $3 for the first time.  The numbers that won were  1-2-17-47-49 and pb 19. I was utterly shocked. Although those were not the numers I bet, the first 5 numbers are among the most frequent numbers drawn in the Washington Lotto. 1 is drawn the most in the first position. When 1 is drawn, 2 is the most likely number to be drawn with 1. 17 is the 2nd most frequent number drawn in the Washington Lottery and was drawn in the Mega Millions drawing the previous time. 49 is the most frequent number drawn in the last position, with 47 the most likely number to be drawn with 49. 49 is the third most frequent number drawn and 47 is the fifth most frequent number drawn in the Washington lottery. As for power ball 19, this is the age of my daughter who is home from college this weekend.......and makes sense that it would go with 17. (17 and 19, 47 and 49). Even if I had only gotten the first 5 white balls, that would have been $250.000 and I would have my salary replaced until retirement in 8 years. Dreams of how I could have helped myself, family, friends, co-workers, and church with the jackpot of $84 mil (minus half and taxes) kept me awake half the night. I had spent an hour analyzing how I was going to play my numbers Friday. What if I had analyzed it from the right perspective? These numbers will never come up again. I prayed about it of course, and God sent these numbers, but I just didn't pick up on it. They will never come up again. But I also do think it's important not to give up either. It gives me shivers that I might pick the right numbers next time.  How do others feel when they see patterns after the fact that they did not pick up on?

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49674 Posts
    Posted: March 25, 2006, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

What's done is done:Bang Head Learn from the experience and move on.Coffee

luckieStarr's avatar - darven
      philadelphia,PA
      United States
      Member #27080
      November 26, 2005
      507 Posts
      Posted: March 25, 2006, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

I feel like a    A. loser No Pity!

B. loser Sad Cheers

C. loser Shocked

Leaving  Keep It In until It Wins!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: March 25, 2006, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

Don't dwell on this or you'll end up crazy like me! I keep thinking about all the money I lost in 2001 and then I remember that later that year people jumped 100 stories from a burning building and I realize each day on Earth is another opportunity.

"and God sent these numbers, but I just didn't pick up on it."

I will never get into a religious argument on this board, but I doubt if God sends lottery numbers to people. It is a game of chance. If someone is lucky enough to win, then maybe God will direct him when he asks for guidance. But I think He's too busy answering the prayers of children who are starving or dying from cancer or comforting the parents of soldiers fighting in Iraq to be designing lottery wheels. World peace is another biggy!

LottoL's avatar - techno eye.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #33719
          February 24, 2006
          705 Posts
          Posted: March 25, 2006, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

When analyzing lotto draws, there are alot of interesting correlations.
          Some valid, some not so valid.  Based on my analysis, it wouldn't surprise
          me if the number 19 moved to the white ball area in the upcoming MM draw. 
          If this scenario were to happen, I would just chalk it up to the fact that
          cold numbers appear to be warming up. 

LL

Washington
            United States
            Member #34875
            March 9, 2006
            6 Posts
            Posted: March 25, 2006, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

My point was that with a pick that close, it could happen again.  "It gives me shivers that I might pick the right numbers next time." Does anybody else ever feel that way?  Has this happened to you?  Did you forget to play your numbers one week and they won a large jackpot? Have you seen the numbers in a win and thought how obvious this was and you should have seen it sooner?  It can happen again so you keep trying.

My wording "and God sent these numbers, but I just didn't pick up on it"  was a poor one.  I was analyzing the Washington Lottery to death and the fact that the numbers would show up in Mega millions with a 5/56 matrix and a powerball was just so coincidental, especially when I hadn't played Mega before and thought it was an impossible game to win.  They haven't shown up in the Washington Lottery this way. By the way, I do have a son in Baghdad.  For me, playing the Lotto on a small scale gives me a sense of hope when the situation seems hopeless.  I know God can intervene in hopeless situations and our prayers are not always answered the way we wish.  (Some people don't believe in God and I don't mean to get in a religious argument either.) I spend far more money investing in my retirement and donating to charity then I spend on the lotto.    Peace.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19823 Posts
              Posted: March 25, 2006, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

You're not so unusual, everybody know which numbers they should have played after the drawings.  Unfortunately you need to not only know those numbers before the drawing but also play them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                Member #2338
                September 17, 2003
                2063 Posts
                Posted: March 26, 2006, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

If your hindsight was as good as your foresight then you would have played the winning numbers. It's always easy to think you played the wrong numbers after loosing. The problem with the WA state lottery is that it's computer drawn and the prizes suck. Both Quinto and Lotto rarely get big. The recent $11 million run is a rare exception. Quinto rarely breaks $2 million any more. Even the Oregon Megabucks has been in a slump and it also suffers from computerized drawings.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: March 26, 2006, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

"My point was that with a pick that close, it could happen again.  "It gives me shivers that I might pick the right numbers next time." Does anybody else ever feel that way?  Has this happened to you?  Did you forget to play your numbers one week and they won a large jackpot? Have you seen the numbers in a win and thought how obvious this was and you should have seen it sooner?  It can happen again so you keep trying."

Yes, I do hear stories about people who forgot to play and "lost" $20 million.  The odds of winning in the first place are so great that sometimes I question their validity. A woman I worked with swore on her grandchildren (which is pretty serious stuff!) that she changed one her numbers and 2 weeks later the 6 numbers she had played for 5 years came up for $15 million.  She got 5/6 and won $5,000. I don't think I could handle that, which is why I never change. Believe me, I do understand the anxiety you went through.  One week in January the winning numbers in Florida ($50 million jackpot) were 5-24-25-33-38-43 and I had been playing around with numbers that day like saying "okay - 5 x 5 is 25 and 33 + 5 is 38 + 5 is 43.  I've been out of work a lot so I just bought my regular 2 tickets and didn't bet any random numbers.  One person in Tallahassee won the $50M jackpot with a quickpick! I don't know if I would have picked all 6 numbers and played them, but when I saw them on my laptop I paced around for hours wondering if I should have "listened" harder. However, you can end up spending all of your savings or going insane (whichever comes first) unless you just think of this as a game and realize you might never win a jackpot. There's nothing wrong with hope, but depending on something that might never happen can be very destructive.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                    PA
                    United States
                    Member #22983
                    October 6, 2005
                    2226 Posts
                    Posted: March 26, 2006, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

Everytime my numbers lose, 'I knew I should have played the others.' But when they do win, I knew I made the right choice afterall, and will be very glad I did not play those 'other numbers.'

United States
                      Member #379
                      June 5, 2002
                      11296 Posts
                      Posted: March 26, 2006, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

If your hindsight was as good as your foresight then you would have played the winning numbers. It's always easy to think you played the wrong numbers after loosing. The problem with the WA state lottery is that it's computer drawn and the prizes suck. Both Quinto and Lotto rarely get big. The recent $11 million run is a rare exception. Quinto rarely breaks $2 million any more. Even the Oregon Megabucks has been in a slump and it also suffers from computerized drawings.

OR Lose for Life also uses computers.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                        Member #2338
                        September 17, 2003
                        2063 Posts
                        Posted: March 26, 2006, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

I think the lucky for life game ended before the switch to computerized drawings. They stopped providing video of the ball drawings for a year or two before the switch though. It's the same problem with many state lotteries. The only drawing that is trustworthy is a televised ball drawing. Everything else is just a problem waiting to happen.

Washington
                          United States
                          Member #34875
                          March 9, 2006
                          6 Posts
                          Posted: March 26, 2006, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

I didn't know the Washington State Lotto was computerized.  It doesn't say anything on their web-site.  I will e-mail them to find out when they started computerized drawings.  I always liked watching the traditional ball method when they showed it on television at 7:00, even if I wasn't playing.  I have some free software that analyzes the Washington Lotto for frequency of numbers and you can specify  date ranges.  Maybe I will notice a difference from when the computerized drawings started.  What game do you suggest as being the best traditional jackpot game I could play with the best odds CASH Only or anybody else out there?  I know, it's only a game and I'm not going to bet more then a couple dollars each time. I'm going to give this a chance rather then not try. 

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                            PA
                            United States
                            Member #22983
                            October 6, 2005
                            2226 Posts
                            Posted: March 26, 2006, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

Match 6 (6/49) is not too bad, being you get 2 free lines. But lucky for life has the best odds here, 6/38. But I get way more pay back usually then LFL in small prizes added up. I don't play cash 5 much, unless it is over a million. But you can bet you will be splitting it then 2-5 ways if you hit. Not how I want to celebrate my first, and maybe ever jackpot win.

Washington
                              United States
                              Member #34875
                              March 9, 2006
                              6 Posts
                              Posted: March 29, 2006, 1:29 am - IP Logged

Guess what everybody!  I won $10 tonight in mega millions.  I bet

18-28-29-47-49 bp 14 and the winning numbers were 14-18-35-39-49 pb 14.

Think it's pretty good for my 2nd time playing the jackpot game.  Of course, I had another 3 totally losing lines also.