Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 2:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Numbers and Supersitions - Japan

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10354 Posts
Posted: March 28, 2006, 2:40 am - IP Logged

The world of Japanese superstition.

Do you panic after breaking a mirror because it may mean seven years'bad luck? Do you avoid letting a black cat cross your path? Does the number 13 make you uncomfortable? Do you scold your children when they open an umbrella in the house? When you knock over a salt shaker do you throw a pinch of salt over your left shoulder? Perhaps you keep a rabbit's foot or a "lucky" coin in your pocket or handbag. And, I'm sure you never walk under a ladder. Any Japanese who saw such reactions would probably laugh and call you a superstitious, unscientific, old-fashioned person. Yet the same Japanese might turn around and tell you with teh sincerest conviction that numbers 42 should be avoided at any cost, that badgers are mischievous, evil, little wrong-doers, that dead spirits are sometimes embodied in female cats, that women ghosts haunt txi-cabs, and that every rock, tree, mountain, river and even grain of sand has a spirit. Then you might "logically" conclude the Japanese are superstitious, unscientific and old-fashioned. You see, it all depends on where you live, how you were educated, your religious and family background, your psychological composition and your daily environment. I know of no group of people, no race, no culture, and no nation without at least a few superstitions, many of which westerners might consider odd, weird, eccentric or even childish, despite the fact that they have been convinced that their superstitions are quite valid, powerful and accurate.

The number "Four" in Japanese is shi. "Death in Japanese is also pronounced shi." for this reason most Japanese try to avoid that sound. Some hospitals in Japan does not have the numbers, 4, 9, 14, 19, or 42 for any room. Number 9 is pronounced ku in Japanese rhyming with a different word which means pain or worry. Number 42 is pronounced shi-ni meaning to die. Number 420 is shi-ni-rei which means a dead spirit, and number 24 is ni-shi or double death. Especially in the maternity ward, some hospitals refrain from using the number 43, shi-zan, because it means still-birth. In Japan it is considered bad luck: to step on the cloth border of the tatami floor mats, to stick your chopsticks upright in a full rice-bowl (this is only done when a person dies), to get married on certain days, to breaj a comb, to break the strap of your gata, wooden clog, or zori, or to eat fried eel and melon at the same meal. It is bad luck not to bring a potted plant to a sick person, not to throw salt on your door step after a beggar comes to your house, to mentiona few. Most Japanese temples do a thriving business selling various charms to ward off evil spirits, to protect the holder from accidents or sickness, or to bring them good luck. The most popular are called Omamori Bukuro, literally, "a charm in a brocade bag". Practically every taxi and truck in Japan carries one, or a small, girl doll, to ward off evil, female ghosts or to protect them against accidents. Many private passenger cars carry similar charms.

http://mothra.rerf.or.jp/ENG/Hiroshima/Things/68.html

Demi540's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
    Los Angeles
    United States
    Member #18459
    July 12, 2005
    810 Posts
    Posted: March 28, 2006, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

Very interesting. Thanks. Maybe that's why I can never catch 420:)

-Demi

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
      Member #14
      November 9, 2001
      31363 Posts
      Posted: March 28, 2006, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

i carry a dzi bead in my car.

love to nibble those micey feet.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23275 Posts
        Posted: March 28, 2006, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

Very interesting!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
          Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: April 8, 2006, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

thanks coin toss.nice story.....

New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: April 8, 2006, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

Nice post Coin toss.

I generally don't believe in superstitions, except one.  Superstitions don't exist outside the minds of the people who don't believe in them.  To the people who do believe in them, they're not superstitions. 

I've heard it said by several religions that the religions they aren't are superstitions.  I've heard it said by scientists that every religion is a superstition. 

The black cats, ladders, 13s, salt thrown over the shoulder all pale by comparison to the giant modern superstition science is, which I do believe in. 

I am able from my superior perspective to recognize science for the superstition it is, by not believing in it.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser