Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PB: quick pick powerball or power play it

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 11 years ago by ryanm.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #35054
March 11, 2006
12 Posts
Posted: March 29, 2006, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

so i bought some PB tickets today, i had chosen 10 sets of numbers

but i felt like buying $20 worth, since the jackpot is pretty nice

i was stuck deciding between either power-playing each of those sets, *OR* adding the same 10 sets of numbers, except this time letting the computer quickpick the powerball for me

i ended up doing the second option

what would you guys have done? 

United States
    Member #24008
    October 19, 2005
    38 Posts
    Posted: March 29, 2006, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

I probably would have done the same thing.  I've never used the powerplay option.  Though, from what I've read on the PB site, many people have chosen the powerplay option and multiplied their 200K winnings.  I'm not sure which is the "smarter" option, but I would have done what you did.  Good luck!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
      Mcminnville, Oregon
      United States
      Member #3013
      December 13, 2003
      3090 Posts
      Posted: March 29, 2006, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

The odds are you will not win a jackpot every time you purchase Powerball.  More than likely you will lose or end up with a prize from $200 thousand down to $3.  So would you like to get $200 thousand or $2 million.  I always powerplay my tickets because no matter how many tickets you buy there is only one winning combination.  So for me I like the increased prize money.-weshar75

Indiana
        United States
        Member #29196
        December 29, 2005
        280 Posts
        Posted: March 29, 2006, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

I also wisely (read; sarcasim) purchase Powerplay for the same reasons weshar cites. 

Jim 

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

Morrison, IL
          United States
          Member #4657
          May 13, 2004
          1884 Posts
          Posted: March 30, 2006, 1:00 am - IP Logged

so i bought some PB tickets today, i had chosen 10 sets of numbers

but i felt like buying $20 worth, since the jackpot is pretty nice

i was stuck deciding between either power-playing each of those sets, *OR* adding the same 10 sets of numbers, except this time letting the computer quickpick the powerball for me

i ended up doing the second option

what would you guys have done? 

The second option is smarter. In a high odds game like Powerball, it's smarter to purchase more chances at winning the whole thing. Buying PowerPlay is like admitting you'll settle for second place, and while I would not mind winning 1 or 2 million, I'm really playing Powerball for the chance at winning enough money to be set for the rest of my life. Also, while it is true that most draws do not produce a jackpot winner, but every draw produces hundreds of thousands of winners at the other prize levels, it also produces millions of losers. I myself have not hit a single number for the last three draws, and have not won a single PB prize since November (of course I only play one ticket per draw), so that isn't exactly a sign I should PowerPlay.