Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 3:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

After the Win: Who do you consult?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 11 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #24008
October 19, 2005
38 Posts
Posted: April 4, 2006, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

Everyone tells you to talk to professionals after you win, but they don't say which ones. What kind of lawyer do you consult? Definitely not one of those social security disability lawyers.  But which kind?  A tax attorney?  One that specializes in wills and trusts?  How do you check reputations?  I think it should be easier to find a good financial planner.  As long as they're fee for service (never go with one of those percentage of asset deals).  Who else should you talk to?  Anyone have any suggestions/ideas let me know.  Thanks.

Dream's avatar - dragon1

United States
    Member #2399
    September 28, 2003
    143 Posts
    Posted: April 4, 2006, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

Talk to your relatives and friends. They sure will help you  manage your finances. Just kidding. You should consult a financial firm like Merrill Lynch or other big firms. They will be able to  help you with everything you need, setting up trust, minimize tax liability, invest and so on. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: April 5, 2006, 3:45 am - IP Logged

Talk to your relatives and friends. They sure will help you  manage your finances. Just kidding. You should consult a financial firm like Merrill Lynch or other big firms. They will be able to  help you with everything you need, setting up trust, minimize tax liability, invest and so on. 

Merrill Lynch?  Google Merrill Lynch and key words like fraud and lawsuit! How about Paine Webber? I'm sure you'll come up with a few links! You don't have to tell anyone you won the lottery, but I'd suggest asking friends, people at church or professionals you know like your dentist or doctor for a referral.  I found out the hard way and went to one of these large investment firms who lost more than 1/2 of my retirement. Then I learned to do my own research. Remember, anyone can call himself a financial planner.  Always ask a lot of questions, read every prospectus, every contract and weigh the risks. There are numerous publications on investing. I'd start out with a lawyer who specializes in estate planning and setting up trusts or corporations before you even claim a large prize. There are books like The Best Lawyers in America if you can't get a personal referral. If you decide to invest in real estate, don't be stingy. Hire your own inspector and get an appraisal. A real estate attorney will review your contracts, check the titles and make sure there aren't any liens on the property. Just make sure that whoever handles your money knows what you want and listens. Don't go to someone and say "I have no idea what to do with my money, what do you suggest?" But if you do a proper response might be "Okay, what are your short-term and long-term goals? How much risk can you tolerate? Do you have children? Have you set up college funds? etc., etc." If they don't want to get to know you, then they don't really care about your money either.

Just my opinion.

Knoxville
        United States
        Member #13510
        April 7, 2005
        89 Posts
        Posted: April 5, 2006, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

If I ever won, I would consult my checkbook.. haha.  I don't plan on finding a consultant until after I have collected the winnings and have a sum I am ready to invest.  I would take the payments to get the tax deferred benefit.  I read you would have to invest at a rate of %8 return to beat taking the payments and I would guess any other kind of investment would carry a much higher risk than the payments.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
          Member #2338
          September 17, 2003
          2063 Posts
          Posted: April 6, 2006, 12:50 am - IP Logged

An example of whom to consult would be found at www.duffykekel.com

They are the lawyers I will be consulting in the off chance I win Powerball. (I play in Oregon)

If I win Megamillions I might consult someone closer in Seattle but due to the very high Oregon tax rate I would need a pro at Oregon tax law. 

st.germain's avatar - Tarlor
            chicago ill.
            United States
            Member #3600
            February 4, 2004
            337 Posts
            Posted: April 6, 2006, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

1st...set up a trust by a lawyer so that you can put all your winnings into it, but get his fee before hand.

2nd...lay back until you can have the chance to pay all taxes due.

3rd...then find a decent financial planner.

4th ...then call me and we can go out and spend some of it.Party

United States
              Member #36801
              April 7, 2006
              3 Posts
              Posted: April 7, 2006, 1:57 am - IP Logged

did Worldsux win the lottery?

United States
                Member #24008
                October 19, 2005
                38 Posts
                Posted: April 7, 2006, 8:37 am - IP Logged

Sorry, no I haven't.  Just want us all to be prepared when we hit the big one.  Someone on here has to hit eventually.  At least I hope they do.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                  Member #28409
                  December 15, 2005
                  1198 Posts
                  Posted: April 7, 2006, 11:43 am - IP Logged

me too world, we have some serious talent here on lp.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                    Tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #7853
                    October 15, 2004
                    11338 Posts
                    Posted: April 7, 2006, 11:48 am - IP Logged

1st...set up a trust by a lawyer so that you can put all your winnings into it, but get his fee before hand.

2nd...lay back until you can have the chance to pay all taxes due.

3rd...then find a decent financial planner.

4th ...then call me and we can go out and spend some of it.Party

lol.good one st. germain.....

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                      Tennessee
                      United States
                      Member #7853
                      October 15, 2004
                      11338 Posts
                      Posted: April 7, 2006, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

who do i consult??        NOBODY,lol

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
                        Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
                        United States
                        Member #26084
                        November 14, 2005
                        199 Posts
                        Posted: April 9, 2006, 5:15 pm - IP Logged
                        Do this before you accept the prize money.

I will need advisers to set up trusts for minimizing taxes, directing charitable giving and estate planning. I have a very good Dr. who I would ask for help on finding these advisers.

Hire a lawyer, an accountant, a financial planner and maybe an insurance adviser.

First the tax expert, then the investment adviser.

Talk to the accountant or tax attorney to figure out what my tax options are and find out how much money I will end up with after taxes.

Then hire a financial planner.

Financial Planner Board of Standards

http://www.cfp-board.org/

The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors

http://www.napfa.org/

Take the cash option but still pick conservative investments such as municipal bonds and blue chip stocks, aiming for something like a 6 percent return. I don't want to take a lot of risk.

Other things you may want to do.

Don't tell anyone. Don't do anything rash. At least for a few weeks, keep your job, keep your house and keep in touch with close friends, relatives.

Don't make grand promises in the heat of the moment to family members. Instead, wait until you've had time to talk with your advisors and get a sense of your true financial situation.

You may want to take a picture while holding the ticket, photocopy it front and back, and then put it away.

When you claim your money, no press conferences, no pictures, no commercials.

Well that all I can think of for now.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

United States
                          Member #24008
                          October 19, 2005
                          38 Posts
                          Posted: April 9, 2006, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the tips.  The things I know I'd want to do is sign the ticket and make 5 photocopies of the ticket.  Then put it in a safe deposit box.  Then seek advice.  Just a little concerned about whose advice I need.  I was thinking a tax attorney and maybe they'd refer me to one that specializes in trusts.  Once that's done I'd cash the ticket, then seek the help of a finanical planner.  That's about it so far, lol.

NY
                            United States
                            Member #16556
                            June 1, 2005
                            1053 Posts
                            Posted: April 9, 2006, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

why not just put it in few bank accounts ...why invest it and give the chance of losing some of it, what are the chances of a major bank to go under and if there are signs it will go under pull your money out and put it in your other bank....i feel its better to keep it simple and not have to constantly keep tabs on all these multiple investments you made and then always keep in contact with bunch of stranger lawyers ,advisors, investors etc. telling you what to do and you probably didnt understand half of what they say and just nod yes, before you know it later down the road it costs a whole lotta $$ to pay for these advisors and investments commisions blah blah to much to think about

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                              Member #24380
                              October 21, 2005
                              623 Posts
                              Posted: April 11, 2006, 2:26 am - IP Logged

Merrill Lynch?  Google Merrill Lynch and key words like fraud and lawsuit! How about Paine Webber? I'm sure you'll come up with a few links! You don't have to tell anyone you won the lottery, but I'd suggest asking friends, people at church or professionals you know like your dentist or doctor for a referral.  I found out the hard way and went to one of these large investment firms who lost more than 1/2 of my retirement. Then I learned to do my own research. Remember, anyone can call himself a financial planner.  Always ask a lot of questions, read every prospectus, every contract and weigh the risks. There are numerous publications on investing. I'd start out with a lawyer who specializes in estate planning and setting up trusts or corporations before you even claim a large prize. There are books like The Best Lawyers in America if you can't get a personal referral. If you decide to invest in real estate, don't be stingy. Hire your own inspector and get an appraisal. A real estate attorney will review your contracts, check the titles and make sure there aren't any liens on the property. Just make sure that whoever handles your money knows what you want and listens. Don't go to someone and say "I have no idea what to do with my money, what do you suggest?" But if you do a proper response might be "Okay, what are your short-term and long-term goals? How much risk can you tolerate? Do you have children? Have you set up college funds? etc., etc." If they don't want to get to know you, then they don't really care about your money either.

Just my opinion.

Justexploring, thanks for sharing the good advice.  $$$Smiley$$$