Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Moving before claiming your lotto winning

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 11 years ago by pigsNtrees.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
United States
Member #26084
November 14, 2005
199 Posts
Posted: April 8, 2006, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

Is it a good idea?

I've won big-time money. Now the next day, whilst my lawyer is setting up my Trust or LLC, I rent a house or apartment in a large metropolitan area in my state, where my very common name won't stick out so much as it does in my small hometown.

My husband and I change our drivers license to the larger city's house, set up a bank account ect.

We wait, still living and going about our normal lives in our hometown. All the while the media and assorted relatives wait with baited breath for the winner to step forward.

Do you think it will make a difference to the lottery people that we did this?

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: April 8, 2006, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

i'd wait and claim your prize first.then move.....

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      49713 Posts
      Posted: April 8, 2006, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Deception is usually looked upon in a negative way. Sounds like you don't really intend to move from your small hometown. If you don't move the only ones who'll care is the IRS. Wink

United States
        Member #26084
        November 14, 2005
        199 Posts
        Posted: April 8, 2006, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

No we would move as soon as we could, without causing suspicion. The deal is, my family has taught almost everyone in this small town going on thirty years. I don't want the hassle of saying no all the time, and ticking people off.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
          Member #2338
          September 17, 2003
          2063 Posts
          Posted: April 8, 2006, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

Yes move. It's much better to have criminals you don't know.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
            Washington State
            United States
            Member #33973
            February 26, 2006
            347 Posts
            Posted: April 9, 2006, 1:29 am - IP Logged

As a retired teacher myself, I can appreciate your dilemma.  Though I didn't retire from teaching in quite as small a town as I suspect you might be living, I have taught in such a place, and you'd have more people to say "no" to than I'd want to face.  Saying no to strangers is one thing, but to people you know and really do like would be much more difficult.

I can't see why the lottery people should care.  People move all the time, and it isn't that odd that someone should happen to move just after they win.  You wouldn't have the money yet, though, so if you plan to quit your jobs, you'd have to have enough saved up and readily available to finance your move and living expenses until you claim your prize and perhaps for a month or six weeks more.  For a big prize, you probably won't get your money right away. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: April 9, 2006, 3:08 am - IP Logged

"People move all the time, and it isn't that odd that someone should happen to move just after they win."

Agree completely!  The IRS doesn't care if you move, even if you leave the country, as long as you obey the law and pay your taxes. Wanting your privacy is not the same as deception. It would be dishonest if it was to save on taxes or skip out on a financial obligation like child support. When you claim your ticket, your social security number will be run anyway to check your background and credit history. Believe me, there's probably not much the IRS doesn't know about you already.  You can't really hide even if you want to. There's a different government agency with little bits of info on all of us. (run your tongue across your teeth and you can feel the scanners!)  Every time I see one of those microchips they implant in pets (which is a great idea) I wonder if we'll be next.  I never won the lottery, but I have disappeared off the face of the Earth, and it's not a crime. I wish I had the internet back then. The great thing about the internet is you can be anywhere in the world and be nowhere at the same time.

I also agree with Uff Da about making sure you are financially secure for a while. Even if you don't have a lot of cash, just use your credit cards or take a cash advance. I normally would never suggest anything so irresponsible, but it will only be for a few weeks.  You sound to me as if you've got everything planned just right - the licenses, the house rental, the lawyer/trust.  You're good to go girl!  Good luck!

United States
                Member #23806
                October 16, 2005
                188 Posts
                Posted: April 9, 2006, 4:53 am - IP Logged

Man. I'll have a Cottage in Korea, Japan, Canada and Australia.

Baton Rouge, LA
                  United States
                  Member #4602
                  May 7, 2004
                  699 Posts
                  Posted: April 9, 2006, 10:05 am - IP Logged

"People move all the time, and it isn't that odd that someone should happen to move just after they win."

Agree completely!  The IRS doesn't care if you move, even if you leave the country, as long as you obey the law and pay your taxes. Wanting your privacy is not the same as deception. It would be dishonest if it was to save on taxes or skip out on a financial obligation like child support. When you claim your ticket, your social security number will be run anyway to check your background and credit history. Believe me, there's probably not much the IRS doesn't know about you already.  You can't really hide even if you want to. There's a different government agency with little bits of info on all of us. (run your tongue across your teeth and you can feel the scanners!)  Every time I see one of those microchips they implant in pets (which is a great idea) I wonder if we'll be next.  I never won the lottery, but I have disappeared off the face of the Earth, and it's not a crime. I wish I had the internet back then. The great thing about the internet is you can be anywhere in the world and be nowhere at the same time.

I also agree with Uff Da about making sure you are financially secure for a while. Even if you don't have a lot of cash, just use your credit cards or take a cash advance. I normally would never suggest anything so irresponsible, but it will only be for a few weeks.  You sound to me as if you've got everything planned just right - the licenses, the house rental, the lawyer/trust.  You're good to go girl!  Good luck!

Interesting discussion.

If I did win, one thing I would do is claim my money using a trust, which is legal in my state. Then I would tell nobody about my win. I'd actually keep working for a few more months, until the excitement died down, then I would quit and move. That way, suspicion is reduced.

My lifestyle probably wouldn't change much, other than not having to work anymore. I'd probably operate mostly on cash from then on, and try to keep my address as private as possible by doing things such as titling my property and vehicles in the names of LLCs, not getting anything delivered to my house in my name, keeping utilities out of my name, etc. In other words, anything to make it harder to find me. I just don't want anyone trying to get my money.

PrisonerSix

st.germain's avatar - Tarlor
                    chicago ill.
                    United States
                    Member #3600
                    February 4, 2004
                    337 Posts
                    Posted: April 9, 2006, 10:23 am - IP Logged

Move?  DEFINITELY!!!!!  Also, get a postbox instead of a mailbox.

United States
                      Member #26084
                      November 14, 2005
                      199 Posts
                      Posted: April 9, 2006, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

Let me clarify. The conflict (as I see it with the lottery commission) would be that at the time of purchase I was a resident of one city vs the new city when I claimed my prize.

Which is different if I lived in a state with a state income tax and tried to move to a state without one, to avoid taxes. No matter where you live you would pay taxes in the state you bought your ticket.

This is about moving to avoid publicity in the place of purchase. Yes the citizens would know someone bought the winning ticket in their town but, the person that bought it, lived somewhere else.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

United States
                        Member #26084
                        November 14, 2005
                        199 Posts
                        Posted: April 9, 2006, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

Oops after re-reading the entire thread, let me also make clear that this has only happened in my day dreams and as of yet is not a reality.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit