Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

would they make money.....

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Thoth.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: April 11, 2006, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

hi guys, thank you very much for answering or posting your opinions on my subjects, i do appreciate it for there is nothing like this on the net.  Guys i had another question...Don't you think that if the lottery corporation made pick3 a game where you win something for matching 1 or 2 numbers they would not make any money....This is what i believe (is more like a conviction)...I believe that if they started giving people money for matching 1 or 2 numbers in pick3 out of the 3 that play the lottery corporation will not make any money...don't you all agree...all this assuming they keep the game the same way it is from 0 to 9....What's you all opinion...

thank you very much,

michael

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: April 11, 2006, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

The lottery can make money regardless of the macth that pay something, however more payouts mean smaller prize amounts and then it's a matter of whether anyone would play for such a small prize amount.  For example if matching one number in a pick3 was a winner then playing 9 numbers in 3 lines would guarantee two match one and would probably pay about 5¢ for a $1 ticket, but would any one pay $3 for a guaranteed win of a dime?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
      Member #26882
      November 23, 2005
      1404 Posts
      Posted: April 11, 2006, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

Hi Michael,

In PA you can win by matching 2 numbers. You can play front 2 or back two but the payout I believe for doing so is 25 bucks if you hit and it has to fall striaght! If they allowed a payout for hitting one number, I could do that every day LOL!
        LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
        Tx
        United States
        Member #4570
        May 4, 2004
        5180 Posts
        Posted: April 12, 2006, 3:15 am - IP Logged

Michael

To me you appear as if you might be doing this work for either one or more state lotteries either by commission or independently, but I might be wrong.

Either way it does look as if you don't know enough about the pick 3 and 4 daily games to be the one doing this job, if it is a paid job that you are doing.

Some or many of your notions about those games appear to be wrong, what you might be taking as facts might not be so.

Also some of the people giving you answers might not know any more about the game than you do and all or some of their answers are or might be wrong and you would not know it.

As Clairvoyance said some states already pay for front and or back pairs and those states are making a profit regardless.

As to one digit, I don't think that it is being done.

The one or two digits would have to be chosen by straight particular position, not just anywhere and anyway on the pick 3 number.

Getting one or two digits in the exact particular pre-chosen position is not as easy as you and as other people might think that it is or might want you to believe that it is.

Yes, the state lotteries would make a profit regardless.

Some people seem to think that anybody working for the lottery has to be or most be a lottery expert, little do they know, lottery people know just as little or as much as the average lottery player or any average person does.

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8365 Posts
          Posted: April 12, 2006, 4:14 am - IP Logged

the lottery is the biggest money making scam ever invented. no lottery will ever go broke. at least not the way they have it set up. The lottery is big buisness many states report sales in the billions of dollars. So many safeguards are in place that they will never bust. There are threshold limits to how many numbers can be bet. For pick3/4 games when that limit is reached they stop selling tickets for those numbers.

Thoth's avatar - binary
            Findlay, Ohio
            United States
            Member #4855
            May 28, 2004
            400 Posts
            Posted: April 12, 2006, 10:37 am - IP Logged

Almost every state has the same payout structure for Pick 3...which is normally half the odds per dollar wagered.  A straight bet has odds of 1 in 1000 so it pays $500.  A boxed no-match has odds of 1 in 167 and pays around $83, a boxed double has odds of 1 in 333 and pays right around $167.  The front, back and split pair bets have odds of 1 in 100 which pays $50 in most states.

If you could wager on a single digit in a specified position, then it should probably pay $5 on a one dollar bet - half the odds of 1 in 10.

Getting one specific digit correct anywhere within the combination (you dont get to specify which position but you can the digit) has odds of about 1 in 4.12, which would probably pay $2 on a one dollar bet.  If this bet were allowed then there would also be a chance that a double or triple would be drawn, allowing for multiple wins and an increased payout....Matching the same digit twice (but no specific position) has odds of about 1 in 37 and would pay $18.50 on a dollar bet.

Then there is the "boxed pair" - that is two digits anywhere in the combination in any order.  It has odds of about 1 in 18.5 and would pay $9.25 on a buck.  A double digit boxed pair has odds of 1 in 35.71 and would pay about $18 on a dollar.

Of course winning on these types of specific bets is different than being paid for just matching one or two digits when wagering on an entire combination.  If you played 023 boxed there is exactly 144 ways to match 2 of the 3 digits without actually getting all 3 of the digits for the boxed win...this equates to odds of about 1 in 6.94 and would probably pay $3 to $3.50 for the match. 

The lottery could afford to pay for matching one or two digits - it would be nice if they did some day. 

~Probability=Odds in Motion~