Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball eliminates one 5X's slot...

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 11 years ago by dvdiva.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Indiana
United States
Member #29196
December 29, 2005
280 Posts
Posted: April 12, 2006, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

For all of you who think Powerball is doing a great job limiting the number of winners and the amount of payouts here's a story that will warm your hearts:

Powerball has "wisely" decided to reduce the chances of getting a 5X's multiplier by eliminating one of the 5X's multiplier slots.  In the past Powerball had 5 slots on a wheel to determne the Powerplay multipler.  One slot each for a 2X's...3X's and 4X's multiplier and 2 slots for a 5X's multiplier.

Last month Powerball decided to run a promotion by offering a 10X's multipler.  They simply replaced on of the 5X's slots with a 10X's slot.  Good deal huh?

So what happened after the promotion?  Did Powerball go back to the way it was?  Nope!  They have now...very quietly (and very "wisely") eliminated one of the 5X's slots so that there are simply 4 slots...one each for 2X's...3X's...4X's and 5X's.

Whereas there was a 40% chance of getting a 5X's multiplier in the past (for those of us who "wisely" purchased Powerplay) there is now only a 25% of getting a 5X's multiplier.  The chances of getting any of the other multipliers has gone up by 5% each which means now instead of there being a 60% chance of getting one of the lesser multiplier's there is now a 75% chance of getting a lesser multiplier. 

This just keeps getting worse and worse.  Increased odds...extended backloaded annuities...reduced cash values...and now reduced Powerplay multipliers.

But hey...look at the bright side...more people are losing and Powerball keeps setting new records every week! 

Jim

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: April 12, 2006, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

thanks for catching them in the act jim.next they'll be computerized.mark my words......

United States
      Member #1826
      July 11, 2003
      2645 Posts
      Posted: April 12, 2006, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

That is not correct. The decrease in the chances of getting a 5x happened when they added two white balls last year, not after the 10x promo. Here is the history of Powerplay wheel configs.

03/07/2001 - 10/05/2002 : two 1x slots, two 2x slots, two 3x slots, two 4x slots, four 5x slots, 12 total slots

10/09/2002 - 08/27/2005 : three 2x slots, three 3x slots, three 4x slots, six 5x slots, 15 total slots

08/31/2005 - present : four 2x slots, four 3x slots, four 4x slots, four 5x slots, 16 total slots

I didn't like the change either, but you've got to check your facts once, twice, if not thrice, if you're going to post something like this.

(insert signature here)

United States
        Member #33085
        February 18, 2006
        743 Posts
        Posted: April 12, 2006, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

For all of you who think Powerball is doing a great job limiting the number of winners and the amount of payouts here's a story that will warm your hearts:

Powerball has "wisely" decided to reduce the chances of getting a 5X's multiplier by eliminating one of the 5X's multiplier slots.  In the past Powerball had 5 slots on a wheel to determne the Powerplay multipler.  One slot each for a 2X's...3X's and 4X's multiplier and 2 slots for a 5X's multiplier.

Last month Powerball decided to run a promotion by offering a 10X's multipler.  They simply replaced on of the 5X's slots with a 10X's slot.  Good deal huh?

So what happened after the promotion?  Did Powerball go back to the way it was?  Nope!  They have now...very quietly (and very "wisely") eliminated one of the 5X's slots so that there are simply 4 slots...one each for 2X's...3X's...4X's and 5X's.

Whereas there was a 40% chance of getting a 5X's multiplier in the past (for those of us who "wisely" purchased Powerplay) there is now only a 25% of getting a 5X's multiplier.  The chances of getting any of the other multipliers has gone up by 5% each which means now instead of there being a 60% chance of getting one of the lesser multiplier's there is now a 75% chance of getting a lesser multiplier. 

This just keeps getting worse and worse.  Increased odds...extended backloaded annuities...reduced cash values...and now reduced Powerplay multipliers.

But hey...look at the bright side...more people are losing and Powerball keeps setting new records every week! 

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the info.  I was wondering why we don't get the 5x multiplier much anymore.  Now I know.  I play the Powerball.  Every game I have a $3 spending limit.  1 Quick Pick and 1 PowerPlay.  I've had folk tell me that I need to focus more on the Powerball game, but my brain won't let me do that.  Now I know why.  I believe that when it's my time to hit I will.  I still like the game though.  I can blow $6 each week. Funny thing though I generally win 3 - 4 times each month.  I usually win my money back.  Let's play for fun! Dance

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
          Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: April 12, 2006, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

i'm happy as long as they don't computerize it.after the hot lotto change we are going to have to watch them closely.......

Indiana
            United States
            Member #29196
            December 29, 2005
            280 Posts
            Posted: April 12, 2006, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

Hi Jimmy:

If I am incorrect then we have our friends at the Hoosier Lottery to thank for the incorrect information.  Last month when the Promo started I spoke to a Hoosier Lottery Rep and asked them how the promo worked.  They informed me that there were a total of 5 slots on the wheel and that one of the 5X's slots was going to be replaced by a 10X's slot.

I never watch the Powerball drawings so actually I don't know.  I took the information at face value.  I just found out today when I looked at the new slips we got at work.  

Sorry for the incorrect info but the bottom line is the chances of getting a 5X's multiplier are reduced.

Jim  

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
              Member #2338
              September 17, 2003
              2063 Posts
              Posted: April 12, 2006, 11:29 pm - IP Logged

I still don't understand getting powerplay since you could buy another shot at the jackpot instead. Considering Hot Lotto is computerized now and the IQ level at MUSL I wouldn't be shocked if Powerball was the first big game to be computer drawn. If it does become computer drawn it makes complaints about it being bias and non-random far more believable.