Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Another lotto didn't buy happiness story

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Korean Redneck.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #26330
November 16, 2005
330 Posts
Posted: April 13, 2006, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

This is a story I found in the online version of the Tampa Tribune.  A sob story abuot how lotto millions supposedly recked their lives.  However it says right in the story they spent it on kids, family, and travel there is no mention of them Investing any money.  Also they sold their annuity to pay debts so they probably lost alot of money there as well.  Thank goodness I read lottery post. LOL I've learned a few things. First,  If you're lucky enough to win before you buy a  new car or new house get professional financial advice!  Also invest as much of the winnings as possible, sure go out and splurge live a little, but invest most of your winnings and live off the interest.  Ok my comments over here's the story, first the link http://www.tampatrib.com/MGBPZENKYLE.html

TAMPA - Rhoda Toth didn't want her husband, Alex, to spend his last few dollars on a lottery ticket 16 years ago, and even after they won $13 million, she had a bad feeling, she says.

Now the money's gone, and so are most of their friends. Their house was foreclosed on two years ago. They live in a trailer in Hudson with no electricity or running water, and they said most of their family isn't talking to them.

On Wednesday, IRS agents arrested them and charged them with filing false tax returns. The government wants more than $500,000 from them. They could not afford to hire attorneys, so a judge appointed lawyers to represent them.

"They lied on their return, and they tried to get a big fat refund from the government," said Internal Revenue Service spokesman Norman C. Meadows. "That's the harm, basically."

"I wish I could give it all back," said Rhoda Toth, 49, talking about the lottery money outside the federal courthouse after pleading not guilty to charges of lying on tax returns for three years. "The life we led before the lottery, we were still happy."

Beneath each eye, Rhoda has a tattoo of a small tear, one for each of her deceased parents, she said. As she spoke, she cradled arms bandaged because of nerve damage. She said she suffered a brain injury when she fell outside a supermarket and hit her head. She owns a bar but said it's sporadically open and closed. The employees live off tips, she told a judge.

Alex Toth, 58, said he is receiving Social Security disability income since he was injured in an automobile accident in 2000. He's also had a few previous tangles with the law; his record includes passing bad checks and growing marijuana.

What happened to their winnings from Florida Lotto?

"All the money is gone. From family and kids and stuff, it's all gone," Alex Toth told U.S. Magistrate Thomas B. McCoun III.

Outside the courthouse, Rhoda Toth said, "It was given away. It was gambled. It was both. We traveled. We went places most people will never see," places like Lake Tahoe.

"I'd give it all back to have us a little home, a little tin-can car to drive around," she said. "If I could reverse the time and go back, I would. It would be so much different."

Assistant U.S. Attorney Dennis Moore told the judge, "We have no evidence that the defendants have any assets."

In 1996, Rhoda Toth had a public falling-out with her son, Steven Michael Moser. She accused him in court of threatening her after she stopped giving him money. She said Wednesday that she and her son have since patched things up. She said he tries to help her, but there's not much he can do with a wife and a new baby.

The couple said Rhoda sued Alex over control of the money. They worked it out, they said, and are still together. But none of his children talk to him.

Rhoda Toth said when the money was rolling in, they gave one of her cousins a new house and a car. Now that they're broke, the cousin won't even return their calls. None of the people they helped are there for them now, she said.

The lottery money was supposed to be spread out over 20 years, but the couple said they sold the annuity to pay debts.

Neighbors near their trailer on Brenda Street in Hudson said the couple has gotten electricity by leaving a car running and rigging it with an extension cord from the engine.

"I can't imagine anybody living in those conditions in this day and age," Laura Fender, 78, who lives across the street.

"I can understand people being very poor. I can't understand somebody winning the lottery and they can't have electricity and water. There's something screwy with that."

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #2338
    September 17, 2003
    2063 Posts
    Posted: April 13, 2006, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

More proof the lottery doesn't bestow intelligence on winners. I find it ironic that they had an annuity and still couldn't handle the money. Evidently some people think principle only involves a school.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
      Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: April 13, 2006, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

if any future winners are from lottery post they won't likely make these mistakes due to being schooled real good on these type matters.yes there will still be a few who don't exercise caution but i think most would handle it just fine....

Montreal
        Canada
        Member #28622
        December 19, 2005
        14 Posts
        Posted: April 14, 2006, 1:48 am - IP Logged

"More proof the lottery doesn't bestow intelligence on winners."

That's so true.. 

I can't stand reading stories like this. It's unbelievable how they can't control all that money they had. I don't really feel bad for them, I mean they had a chance to improve their life and do some good things with that 13 mill but greed took over them.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
          Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: April 14, 2006, 2:04 am - IP Logged

Sad

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
            adelaide sa
            Australia
            Member #37136
            April 11, 2006
            3300 Posts
            Posted: April 14, 2006, 7:36 am - IP Logged

i think dealing with being able to say no to people is most of these peoples problems, if you couldnt say it b4 winning oyu're prob gonna have trouble after.

I got a plan for beggars if i win. ill buy $20  $1 lotto tickets ea week, and if i get a persistant beggar, i give em a ticket.

any tickets left over at the end of the week ill keep as my own.

of course i might just write my name and adress on the back of every ticket, just to teach hte bad  luck stories about wining the lotto 

stephi's avatar - winifrid
              rural lowcountry, south carolina
              United States
              Member #31677
              February 2, 2006
              196 Posts
              Posted: April 14, 2006, 9:45 am - IP Logged

Don't tell anyone, no one that you have money. Not a one. I make $6 an hour and people ask/beg me for money. In my opinion, invest in foreign currencies, the dollar is going downhill and metal too and maybe metal stocks. And spend some money but set aside a nest egg to live off of, and don't live high off the holly hog. And still work in my opinion; work for yourself (Being an investor is work). Take a long vacation and then go back to work.

Just giving my two cents.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                Washington State
                United States
                Member #33973
                February 26, 2006
                347 Posts
                Posted: April 14, 2006, 10:25 am - IP Logged

dvdiva put it in a nutshell:

More proof the lottery doesn't bestow intelligence on winners.

No doubt these people weren't very good at managing what money they had before the win, either.

Because my own siblings would never ask for anything, it never ceases to amaze me how families can squabble and be totally torn apart over money.  I talked to someone I know last weekend, who told me that her son-in-law won the Washington State lottery several years ago, taking a lump sum of about two million after taxes.  After he retired and built a nice new home (nice but not totally elaborate), his brother informed him that he would not even go visit him in his new house unless he was given $50,000 first!  And that was with just two million!  After building the house, the income off his winnings would have been less than his annual income while working, as he had held a good paying job.

Texas
                  United States
                  Member #37125
                  April 10, 2006
                  19 Posts
                  Posted: April 14, 2006, 11:23 am - IP Logged

Where are the news stories on people who won the lottery and managed the money well and now live happy lives w/o any money worries?

We rarely hear those stories. It seems like the only time is when somebody gives a large ammount to charity. I guess people being smart is less excting news than somebody blowing 13 mil.  

Morrison, IL
                    United States
                    Member #4657
                    May 13, 2004
                    1884 Posts
                    Posted: April 14, 2006, 11:39 am - IP Logged

More proof the lottery doesn't bestow intelligence on winners. I find it ironic that they had an annuity and still couldn't handle the money. Evidently some people think principle only involves a school.

If the winners can't handle a one-time cash jackpot, more than likely they can't handle an annuity jackpot either, as they may end up borrowing against future payments anyway, like this couple apparently did.

United States
                      Member #23806
                      October 16, 2005
                      188 Posts
                      Posted: April 15, 2006, 12:47 am - IP Logged

we can learn from Jack Whittaker too:

"He(Jack Whittaker) just proved that you can take the man out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the man"