Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 12:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is there a law against lottery websites

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 11 years ago by BobP.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Needville
United States
Member #37413
April 14, 2006
1 Posts
Posted: April 14, 2006, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a law against building website lottery games.

A friend of mine has been building one and I think he might get in trouble but I'm not sure.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #2338
    September 17, 2003
    2063 Posts
    Posted: April 14, 2006, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

Talking about lotteries no. Having your own lottery yes in the US. Selling tickets through the mail yes. You may wish to ask a real lawyer since my advice is worth what you paid for it.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
      Dump Water Florida
      United States
      Member #380
      June 5, 2002
      3106 Posts
      Posted: April 15, 2006, 1:02 am - IP Logged

Haven't you ever wondered why people don't just advertise wonderful prizes for one dollar tickets and when they've sold enough to pay for the prize plus profit hold a drawing?  It isn't because people are generally lazy or never thought of it.

It is illegal to opperate a for profit lottery in the U.S. where you collect money and hold a drawing.  You can opperate a "free" advertisement sponsored lottery where people "pay" for their tickets by visiting sponsors. This idea was popular during the web boom but is pretty much a failed business model today except for the few who got it right and even then who knows what will happen if they have a winner, that person would be wise to aquire land based contact information for any game they are playing before winning.

BobP