Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The QP Algorithm

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 11 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: April 16, 2006, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

I  realize that there have been many topics about QPs. I also know that any set of numbers can win a lottery, even 1-2-3-4-5-6 or 47-48-49-50-51-52. But historically, overall the numbers follow some sort of pattern. The 3 QPs I got last night for the 6/53 Lotto were ridiculous like having 24-25-26-27 on one line.  Another had 7-31 as the first 2 numbers. That being said, 5-24-25-33-38-43 won $50M in Dec.  However, there weren't 4 numbers in any one group like the single numbers, 20s or 30s. 

Here's a question that I thought was stupid at first, but maybe it isn't so far fetched. Do all the QPs people buy cause the jackpot to rollover so much? What I mean is, if all the thousands of people who just get QPs bothered to work out a set of numbers and filled out a card, does anyone here think it would have an effect on the results? I'm just not sure how these numbers are generated. The answer for PB on a state website is: "The quick-pick algorithm resides in the store's terminal. Each time it is seeded with several randomizer keys based on time and previous terminal activity."  I don't play PB, but I'm assuming the same applies to the state lottery.

I'm no mathematical genius, so maybe someone here can explain that statement to me. Are they saying that where you buy ticket is important based on activity? If a store is very busy and sells thousands of tickets an hour will you have a better shot, or is a store in Podunk just as likely to have a winner with a QP? 

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
    Wisconsin
    United States
    Member #1303
    March 27, 2003
    1508 Posts
    Posted: April 16, 2006, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

Quoting justxploring

"

I'm no mathematical genius, so maybe someone here can explain that statement to me. Are they saying that where you buy ticket is important based on activity? If a store is very busy and sells thousands of tickets an hour will you have a better shot, or is a store in Podunk just as likely to have a winner with a QP? "

Interesting question. You would have to know what the "QP algorythm" is... Their explanation makes it sound like either mumbo-jumbo or magic. Seems to me though that it wouldn't necessarily give you a better chance if the store was busy and selling alot of tickets. What is seems to be saying, far as I can tell, is that if the store is selling alot of tickets, the terminal adjusts so as to do its best not to start selling the same combinations it already had quickpicked. With PB there's, what?...over 142 million combinations?  That means any groups of terminals is probably unlikely to issue the same combinations on a ticket...but they would probably especially want to be sure that a single terminal doesn't start issuing any certain combination that it already has picked for that game.  Maybe someone else knows for sure, but that's my take on it.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: April 16, 2006, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

I meant to post this under Lottery Discussion. I think this is only the second time I've started a new topic on this board and I obviously goofed. So now I can add to my above post "I'm not an internet genius either!" Roll Eyes

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49767 Posts
        Posted: April 16, 2006, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

I meant to post this under Lottery Discussion. I think this is only the second time I've started a new topic on this board and I obviously goofed. So now I can add to my above post "I'm not an internet genius either!" Roll Eyes

If you send a note to Todd: Asking him to move this thread to Lottery Discussion: He will oblige.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19828 Posts
          Posted: April 16, 2006, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

The winning numbers for Ohio Rolling Cash5 04/12/06 were 11 16 17 18 19, any combination can win anytime. 

Any algorithm that resides in the store's terminal is there to make it impossible for anyone to predict which combination will be picked next and give every QP players an equal chance as the winning combination.  When you pick your own numbers even randomly, you have the option of choosing not to play or repeat any numbers or combinations which could make a difference to an individual player but not to the overall lottery.  When the winning numbers are drawn they are just as likely to have been pick by an individual who picked his own numbers as a terminal as a certain store as a certain time.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking