Winning Mega Millions lottery ticket sold in Cincinnati

Apr 19, 2006, 6:30 am (47 comments)

Mega Millions

The winning ticket from the $265 million Mega Millions drawing Tuesday night was sold at a local Kroger supermarket, an Ohio Lottery spokeswoman said.

It was the fifth winning Mega Millions ticket purchased in Ohio since June and the first grand prize winner sold in Cincinnati, lottery spokeswoman Mardele Cohen said.

The winning numbers in the 12-state game were 13, 14, 25, 34 and 50. The Mega Ball was 6.

In addition to the grand prize winner, 21 tickets, including two purchased in Ohio, matched all five numbers but not the Mega Ball for prizes of $250,000 each.  Tho

Another 109 tickets, including four from Ohio, matched four numbers plus the Mega Ball for third prizes of $10,000 each.

The last Mega Millions winner from Ohio claimed the $270 million prize — the biggest lottery jackpot won in the state — anonymously by forming a trust.

The winning ticket from the Feb. 28 drawing was sold in Lyons, a farming village of about 600 people 30 miles west of Toledo.

AP

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

delS

Well-

Its back to the drawing board for everyone.  Powerball, EuroMillions nor Mega Millions hit the $300m benchmark!  Oh well, somewhere this summer, one of them will be at $300m! 

DoubleDown

Was it a LP member ???

RJOH ?

Sassyohio ?

Sassysbaibee ?

Hope so....

qutgnt

It is amazing how many times Ohio wins this. Illinois, Texas, Washington, we get nothing.

csfb's avatarcsfb

So far only Ohio has won the Megamillions jackpots for 2006!

1/06/06  - $ 15M

2/28/06  - $267M

4/18/06  - $265M

hsvscubaski

If there smart they will use a trust to claim

Bradly_60's avatarBradly_60

I know this is crazy....how does Ohio keep getting the winners.  That is two major jackpots in a row now that have gone there.  Not only that but it seems like a bunch of large jackpots have gone in that state in the past couple years and they don't even sell that many tickets.

Brad

four4me

I know this is crazy....how does Ohio keep getting the winners.  That is two major jackpots in a row now that have gone there.  Not only that but it seems like a bunch of large jackpots have gone in that state in the past couple years and they don't even sell that many tickets.

Brad

I guess it depends on a couple of things like if people won with their own numbers or with qpicks. it's possible that Ohio's qpick machines generators print out more diverse picks than other states.

I know Maryland has almost been out of the loop on matching 5 out of 6. I have bought 5 qpicks picks from two different places here and got almost the same numbers from both places.

A couple times we had a pool of 10 people and bought 100 tickets and at least 40 tickets had repeat digits and series numbers. Hardly any of the 100 tickets had numbers that weren't on another line.

fja's avatarfja

last tw winners in Ohio came from boredr Towns....

267 million won in Lyons,Ohio claimed in trust by a Toledo Lawyer

265 million won in Cincinnatti .....

Littlemanjen

It is pure and simple luck which numbers come out and where the ticket is sold. I think you are overanalyzing Ohio. It is just the luck of the draw.

Kjelstad

Brad

I was wondering the same thing.  Thats how I found this site.  Is there any way to find out how many tickets are sold in each state?

SassyOhio's avatarSassyOhio

Was it a LP member ???

RJOH ?

Sassyohio ?

Sassysbaibee ?

Hope so....

Awwww DD  thanks for thinking about us.... but unforunatly it wasnt our group that hit Let It All Out I was asleep and then heard that the winner was in Ohio but out of Cincinatti and were in Columbus, so if you ever hear that the winner was from  the big OLD C-TOWN  YEP YEP its gonna be us, there hasnt been alot of Jackpot winners in Ohio until this year so maybe that is a good sign for us!! Party Hopefully we will get the next big one. I had a pychic tell me that I was going to win the lottery in the summer time of this year and she specified the 'Mega" Game of my state so may be all this is good signs so we shall alllll see lol. But I havent gotten intouch with my family in Cinnci yet and we have a few friends there that play so who knows i would love to see them win it since I didnt  LMAO  But lets  get it started again!!!!  Let the GOOD TIMES ROLLLLLLLl Dance

rundown99's avatarrundown99

That's because everyone knows that Ohio lottery winners can remain anonymous if an attorney can claim the prize through a trust.  Three of the four states that border Ohio (Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania) don't even sell Mega Millions tickets.  Those four states sell Powerball tickets.  Michigan sells Mega Millions tickets, and some Michigan winners have claimed smaller prizes anonymously, but I don't think that Mega Millions winners in Michigan can claim a larger prize ($100 million or larger) anonymously.  If you want to claim a Mega Million jackpot prize anonymously, Ohio is definitely the place to be.

That's because everyone knows that Ohio lottery winners can remain anonymous if an attorney can claim the prize through a trust. 

that is the one thing that I do love about Ohio...  we can remain a secret and when we win that we will be doing as well  anymore ya HAVE to do it that way

bambini

Damn, I got three numbers and mega ball.  I'm moving to Ohio. 

Damn, I got three numbers and mega ball.  I'm moving to Ohio. 

Congrats Bambini  you won a thousand then ?  I wish we could just hit 100 LMAO  we play 80 numbers a week and dont get squat

winner2b

wowza, congrats to the winner(s).

Perhaps me planning my 18K sqft home house was premature!?! lol

comeon u Lucky Lady, be mine tonight!!Dance

hsvscubaski

I would think that the MM agreement would include something to ensure that QPs are generated uniformly. Maybe the same random number generator.

fja's avatarfja

It is pure and simple luck which numbers come out and where the ticket is sold. I think you are overanalyzing Ohio. It is just the luck of the draw.

Of course we are over analyzing Ohio....cause thats what we do with the numbers anyway....

bambini

Sassy, I wish it was a thousand, more like $150.00, I'll take it.    Does any one know if the winning ticket was a quick pick?

awwcrap's avatarawwcrap

Bah! its always ohio

CASH Only

The Cincinnati Enquirer (www.enquirer.com) says the ticket was bought one block from a university. I'm hoping it wasn't bought by a young student (or group) who MIGHT choose annuity.

Trained2beRich's avatarTrained2beRich

I looked to see if it was a QP or not. cant tell yet but 2 second place winning tix were QP. I have never won money the quick pick away. Always when i pick my own. I won $4 since I megaplied in Houston, I won $7 last week again numbers i pick while i am at the store, on the bus or whatever number I see several times a day.

Hey winner2b...an !8000 home? wow. I would rather have 6 3,000 sq ft homes in different parts of the world like in NYC duplex, CA condo, FL golf course home, CO ranch, Paris pied-a-terre, and some island Villa in the west indies with a matching 1972 Mercedes 280SE sedan for each residence.

As for investments how many of you would do Triple A insured muni for 10 years?*(is there such a thing?) tax free income baby...how would one find a financial to do the short and long term goals.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

The Cincinnati Enquirer (www.enquirer.com) says the ticket was bought one block from a university. I'm hoping it wasn't bought by a young student (or group) who MIGHT choose annuity.

WHY??? What?

bobby623's avatarbobby623

According to info posted at the Ohio lottery webpage, the winning ticket was an "auto pick," which is probably the same as a quick pick.

MIMIC

Why?

I'm a college student from Columbus, OH and I think that the annuity option would be the best choice.

Oh yeah, and if you guys hear about a win in Columbus, OH near OSU, it's probably me :)

AUto Pick is the same as quick pick in Ohio so yeah it was a computerized chosen numbers, I heard through the "grape Vine" that it was a group that won it but we just have to wait and see if my friend has gotten the corrct information! I dont know anything on the winning ticket here in Columbus but I am sure that its going to be on the news tonight!  Let's keep the BUCKEYE FEVER GOING!!!!!!

CASH Only

Why?

I'm a college student from Columbus, OH and I think that the annuity option would be the best choice.

Oh yeah, and if you guys hear about a win in Columbus, OH near OSU, it's probably me :)

If you think annuity would be better, than you probably are not taking the right money management course. I hope you don't win until after you realize LUMP SUM is the way to go.

vulcanclassic15's avatarvulcanclassic15

As far as winning in Ohio, I AM NEXT IN LINE!!! Drop that check of to me in Ashtabula, Ohio!!! 300 mill will do just fine, Lum sum please. 

libra926

Was it a LP member ???

RJOH ?

Sassyohio ?

Sassysbaibee ?

Hope so....

HAPPY WEDSNESDAY......4/19/2006..."DD"

Well Congrats...to whoever won, they certainly deserve it.  At the same time, I have to wonder why States like Ohio, Indiana, Missouri and Pennslyvania always seem to win & BIG???

Is it something in the Water?????

libra926

I looked to see if it was a QP or not. cant tell yet but 2 second place winning tix were QP. I have never won money the quick pick away. Always when i pick my own. I won $4 since I megaplied in Houston, I won $7 last week again numbers i pick while i am at the store, on the bus or whatever number I see several times a day.

Hey winner2b...an !8000 home? wow. I would rather have 6 3,000 sq ft homes in different parts of the world like in NYC duplex, CA condo, FL golf course home, CO ranch, Paris pied-a-terre, and some island Villa in the west indies with a matching 1972 Mercedes 280SE sedan for each residence.

As for investments how many of you would do Triple A insured muni for 10 years?*(is there such a thing?) tax free income baby...how would one find a financial to do the short and long term goals.

HAPPY WEDNESDAY...4/19/2006

I totally concurr w/your para regarding the "qp" 

"'looked to see if it was a QP or not. cant tell yet but 2 second place winning tix were QP. I have never won money the quick pick away. Always when i pick my own. I won $4 since I megaplied in Houston, I won $7 last week again numbers i pick while i am at the store, on the bus or whatever number I see several times a day"

I too use only my personal number series when I play....lololollol..the operative term is"when I play"lololoololool

libra926

Bah! its always ohio

4/19/2006

Dear "AWWCRAP"

.........May I say....your pseudonym is fantastic....lo.loloolololol, and may I also say as I read your post...your sentiments are shared.......

jeffrey's avatarjeffrey

So near and yet so far. Finally, an Ohio  megajackpot in the sw of the state. Just 10 miles away. I lived in MO and 2 powerball jackpots hit 1 block away from me in opposite directions. Come on lightning, right here. No, here.Party

Uff Da!'s avatarUff Da!

The problem with having a winner from Ohio, as I see it, is that should they choose to claim the prize anonymously, I'm going to feel cheated out of part of the entertainment value of the money I put into raising that jackpot.  LOL!  Congrats to the winner(s) anyway.  May they live long and PROSPER!

Ineverwin

Here are the # of jackpots in various states since Mega began

(California 3) (Georgia 6) (Illinois  3) (Maryland 3) (Massachusetts 1) (Michigan 5) (New Jersey  5) (New York:  9) (Ohio:  8) (Texas: 2) (Virginia: 1) (Washington 1)  
46 total jackpots
Tuesdays:  18,

Fridays:  26

April 18, 2006:  Ohio $265 Mill (Tuesday)
February 28, 2006: Ohio - $267 Mill (Tuesday)
January 06, 2006:  Ohio - $15 Mill (Friday)
December 30, 2005:  California - $88 Mill (Friday)
November 29, 2005:  California & Michigan - $35 Mill (Tuesday)
November 15, 2005:  California -  $315 Mill (Tuesday)
September 16, 2005:  New Jersey  - $250 Mill (Friday)
July 22, 2005:  Ohio - $170 Mill (Friday)
June 03, 2005:  Ohio - $106 Mill (Friday)
April 22, 2005:  Michigan - $205 Mill (Friday)
March 01, 2005:  Texas - $112 Mill (Tuesday)
January 18, 2005:  Georgia - $130 Mill (Tuesday)
December 03, 2004:  New Jersey -  $24 million (Friday)
November 19, 2004:  New York - $149 million (Friday)
October 01, 2004:   Texas - $101 million (Friday)
August 20, 2004:  Ohio - $52 million (Friday)
July 27, 2004:  New York - $10 million (Tuesday)
July 23, 2004:  Michigan - $47 million (Friday)
July 02, 2004:  Massachusetts - $290 million (Friday)
May 07, 2004:   New York - $66 million (Friday)
April 09, 2004:  Maryland - $105 million (Friday)
March 02, 2004:  Ohio - $20 million (Tuesday)
February 20, 2004:  Virginia - $230 million (Friday)
December 30, 2003:  Ohio - $155 million (Tuesday)
November 11, 2003:  2 in Georgia & 1 in Michigan -  $70 million (Tuesday)
October 07, 2003:  New Jersey - $12 million (Tuesday)
September 30, 2003:  Georgia - $150 million (Tuesday)
August 8, 2003:  Georgia - $50 million (Friday)
July 11, 2003:  New York - $34 million (Friday)
June 20, 2003:  Maryland - $180 million (Friday)
April 25, 2003:  New York - $46 million (Friday)
March 8, ,2003:  Maryland - $20 million (Friday)
March 14, 2003:  New Jersey - $42 million (Friday)
February 18, 2003:  Georgia - $12 million (Tuesday)
February 11, 2003:  New York - $125 million (Tuesday)
December 24, 2002:  New York - $63 million (Tuesday)
November 19, 2002:  New York - $16 million (Tuesday)
November 08, 2002:  Washington - $93 million (Friday)
September 27, 2002:  Illinois - $37 million (Friday)
September 6, 2002:  Michigan - $17 million (Friday)
August 27, 2002:  New York - $105 million (Tuesday)
July 16, 2002:  New Jersey $165 million (Tuesday)
May 24, 2002:  Illinois - $12 million (Friday)
May 17, 2002:  Illinois - $27 million (Friday)
dvdiva's avatardvdiva

The problem with having a winner from Ohio, as I see it, is that should they choose to claim the prize anonymously, I'm going to feel cheated out of part of the entertainment value of the money I put into raising that jackpot.  LOL!  Congrats to the winner(s) anyway.  May they live long and PROSPER!

Don't worry if they are an idiot they will provide plenty of enertainment. If they run the talk show circuit instead of trying to remain anonymous that's a good indicator that they are starting their downwards spiral at a nice clip.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

With another Ohioan having won a $267M MegaMillions jackpot within the last two months, it's unlikely this winner will make a big deal of winning $265M.

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

I had 5 MM tickets from a MA store and didn't get one single number on any line which shows how hard it is to win anything at all.  I told my sister that I'll never ask her to buy me a ticket again. I can't afford to lose this kind of money because I play the Florida lottery too.  When the price of gas goes back down to $2.39 I'll have another $10 bucks to spend after every fillup!

Oh, I just checked and I didn't win a dime with the 5 FL Lotto tickets either, but at least I got 4 numbers...just not on the same ticket! 

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

good luck.i heard that gas prices were going to start climbing and stay that way.it hurts the lottery because people have less to play....

libra926

So near and yet so far. Finally, an Ohio  megajackpot in the sw of the state. Just 10 miles away. I lived in MO and 2 powerball jackpots hit 1 block away from me in opposite directions. Come on lightning, right here. No, here.Party

4/20/2006

WOW........Yes, you really need to win something, very big and very soon, that's incredible. I can appreciate how you feel. That really was incredible.......!!!!lololololol

Shane3

Don't think lotto officials would be buying tickets in Ohio where they can remain anonymous.

I am curious to know if the lotto is able tot track what numbers are bought from a certain area prior to the drawing.......anu info you guys might have?

Don't think lotto officials would be buying tickets in Ohio where they can remain anonymous.

I am curious to know if the lotto is able tot track what numbers are bought from a certain area prior to the drawing.......anu info you guys might have?

They can track it yes. That is how they KNOW where the winning tickets are sold down to the business that sold it. Considering that they have a list of them I guess it depends on when they bring in the report. I suppose if they have access to the readings yes but if not  of course No... anyone else ?

cps10's avatarcps10

Sassy

I thought it was you...oh well. I bought a few in Cinci on Sunday...maybe lightning can strike twice?

Sassy

I thought it was you...oh well. I bought a few in Cinci on Sunday...maybe lightning can strike twice?

wow how we would all be so lucky if so !!!!  I wish !  But I hope that someday it will be! I am hoping when ya hear that its in COLUMBUS  then ya all get a hold of me!!! Lol I ONLY buy my Mega's in columbus :D  LETS GET RICH!!!!!!!

cps10's avatarcps10

I bought some in Columbus AND Springfield AND Vandalia this past weekend...lol That should cover me I hope...

If I win, I guess I can afford those season tix at the Horseshoe this season!

I bought some in Columbus AND Springfield AND Vandalia this past weekend...lol That should cover me I hope...

If I win, I guess I can afford those season tix at the Horseshoe this season!

lmaooooo  your as bad as us  LOL we were talking about going to canton to Woodlawn  LMAO  that seems to be the HOT streak in Ohio ... well I sure do hope you hit something !!  Good Luck :D

Just6ntlc

Congratulations to Ohio for winning the MM ticket. It's the 3rd time in a row that OH has won the jackpot in MM. It is the only state winning MM Jackpots this year so far. Also, they won two jackpots in a row over $200 million.

cps10's avatarcps10

Thanks...I will be sure to take you to one of the OSU games if I hit it big...of course, perhaps the "boss" would rather go herself since she is an OSU grad...but maybe .... lol

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story