Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

gas prices and the lottery--a poll

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 11 years ago by justxploring.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

do you think gas prices affect whether or not people buy lottery tickets?

yes higher gas prices mean less spent on lottery [ 32 ]  [61.54%]
no higher gas prices doesn't mean less spent [ 16 ]  [30.77%]
not sure at this time [ 4 ]  [7.69%]
Total Valid Votes [ 52 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: April 21, 2006, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

hello to new port richey!!

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
    Member #26882
    November 23, 2005
    1404 Posts
    Posted: April 21, 2006, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

In My case, having to put more money in the tank takes from my lottery spending. People on fixed incomes as well, where will the extra come from that is being put in the tank to play lottery tickets. If its not there its not there and when the money runs out before the end of the week? Conclusion.. No extra money for tickets and how does a person whom is retired find a way for extra money?

I can find ways for extra money because I am younger, however I noticed the fuel prices is driving Internet Business down as well.

i filled up today and decided to rob a bank first next time. (FBI - just kidding)

Hi Em,

LOL, I hear you my friend! After I was done putting gas in, I felt like robbing the bank down the road cause I was broke! Then I thought well I best not make the extra trip down the road to the bank cause then I might not make it back home with the money nor out run the cops chasing me with the amount of gas I got out of my 30 bucks!!!! LOL
      Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: April 21, 2006, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

In My case, having to put more money in the tank takes from my lottery spending. People on fixed incomes as well, where will the extra come from that is being put in the tank to play lottery tickets. If its not there its not there and when the money runs out before the end of the week? Conclusion.. No extra money for tickets and how does a person whom is retired find a way for extra money?

I can find ways for extra money because I am younger, however I noticed the fuel prices is driving Internet Business down as well.

i filled up today and decided to rob a bank first next time. (FBI - just kidding)

it might eventually come to that,lol.we have to rob the banks due to the oil companies robbing us.like emily said just kidding FBI.i'm an innocent guy.........

Morrison, IL
        United States
        Member #4657
        May 13, 2004
        1884 Posts
        Posted: April 22, 2006, 1:08 am - IP Logged

Does anyone remember the movie on FX, Oil Storm?

More and more that movie is a little more prophetic. Maybe it wasn't just a made for TV movie. If I remember right, it came out before Katrina and things started with a hoerrendous storm damaging ofshore oil rigs in the Gulf Coast.

As gas prices climbed higher and higher, China and Russia started competing for the oil that was available.

If oil storm happens, at least half of the people in the United States will die from freezing to death in their own homes before next winter is over due to being unable to afford to pay their heating bills.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: April 22, 2006, 1:21 am - IP Logged

Does anyone remember the movie on FX, Oil Storm?

More and more that movie is a little more prophetic. Maybe it wasn't just a made for TV movie. If I remember right, it came out before Katrina and things started with a hoerrendous storm damaging ofshore oil rigs in the Gulf Coast.

As gas prices climbed higher and higher, China and Russia started competing for the oil that was available.  

If oil storm happens, at least half of the people in the United States will die from freezing to death in their own homes before next winter is over due to being unable to afford to pay their heating bills.

Or they'll all move to Florida and we'll build another 500 Walgreens.

Amarillo/Austin
            United States
            Member #1424
            April 25, 2003
            696 Posts
            Posted: April 22, 2006, 1:44 am - IP Logged

I back the proposition that higher gas prices will affect lottery sales.  It would help online gambling sites that offer lottery tickets.  If you only plan to buy one or two tickets, it is cheaper to pay an extra dollar per ticket to an online company than pay for the gas to drive a number of miles to purchase them.

Orangeman                                  See Ya!

Tennessee
              United States
              Member #7853
              October 15, 2004
              11338 Posts
              Posted: April 22, 2006, 2:52 am - IP Logged

never thought of it that way orangeman but your right.very interesting way of thinking.i hear of people driving two or three hundred miles to buy tickets when the pot is high.they could also get them online and save the gas and long trip.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: April 22, 2006, 3:22 am - IP Logged

never thought of it that way orangeman but your right.very interesting way of thinking.i hear of people driving two or three hundred miles to buy tickets when the pot is high.they could also get them online and save the gas and long trip.

I never really thought about that since there's a place on every block here that sells lottery tickets. I suppose if you're talking about getting PB, MM or other lottery tickets not sold where you live, it makes sense. Even when gas was much less, I didn't do it because driving to GA from South Florida would be around 375 miles each way and about 600 to AL.  Last year I thought of driving to GA to buy MM tickets, but I realized that if I was going to blow the money, it makes more sense to just buy more tickets for the local games than to drive hundreds of miles to play one with even higher odds like MM. I think the closest PB state is SC.  I suppose the bottom line is how much money a person has to begin with and if he has to stick to a budget. Most people aren't going to change their habits or lifestyle just because of a gas price increase, especially people with disposable income. Although it's awfully expensive to fill up a boat these days.