Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

60-day clock (cash v annuity)

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

When should it start?

With the claim [ 6 ]  [60.00%]
With the drawing [ 4 ]  [40.00%]
Don't know [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 10 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: April 20, 2006, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

Almost all states (NY and Texas are the major exceptions) have a 60-day window in which to choose cash, after which you are stuck with the annuity. In most cases the 60 days start with the claim; elsewhere (eg Florida) the clock starts with the drawing. Unfortunately, not all games with a top prize paid over time have the cash option.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: April 20, 2006, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

maybe they should extend it?

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
      Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: April 20, 2006, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

by the way are there any states that are annuity only?

United States
        Member #379
        June 5, 2002
        11296 Posts
        Posted: April 20, 2006, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

by the way are there any states that are annuity only?

MA Megabucks is the only jackpot game that remains annuity-only. OR Lose for Life and PA Unlucky for Life do not have a cash option. As for GA-KY-VA Lose for Life, only VA offers a cash option, according to www.valottery.com , but for weeks there has been no mention on the site of the $520,000 lump sum.

Morrison, IL
          United States
          Member #4657
          May 13, 2004
          1884 Posts
          Posted: April 20, 2006, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

For life games, by definition, are supposed to provide the winner with an income for life, so you shouldn't expect them to have cash options. Simply put, if you don't like those type of games, don't play them.

United States
            Member #379
            June 5, 2002
            11296 Posts
            Posted: April 20, 2006, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

For life games, by definition, are supposed to provide the winner with an income for life, so you shouldn't expect them to have cash options. Simply put, if you don't like those type of games, don't play them.

WA state Lucky for Life scratch (which replaced the online Unlucky for Life) has a $750,000 cash option. Therefore there is no excuse for other "life" games not to have the choice.

United States
              Member #1826
              July 11, 2003
              2645 Posts
              Posted: April 20, 2006, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

I believe players should have to make their payment decision when they buy their ticket, but should also be able to change their mind later. That way, people like CO can take their time to claim without worrying about the, in his opinion, evil annual payments.

(insert signature here)

United States
                Member #16612
                June 2, 2005
                3493 Posts
                Posted: April 21, 2006, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

My vote is for after the drawing because in CA SLP and MM tickets, they claim the jackpot within 60 days.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                  Yinzer Country, PA
                  United States
                  Member #4067
                  March 18, 2004
                  2741 Posts
                  Posted: April 21, 2006, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

Back when Ohio has Super Lotto Plus, players had the option to change their mind if they chose the annuity. What I would do was choose annuity, and in the event that I win, and in the event that I would decide to take the cash, I would do so.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

United States
                    Member #16612
                    June 2, 2005
                    3493 Posts
                    Posted: April 24, 2006, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

If I ever win the jackpot, I rather claim the jackpot within 60 days of the winning jackpot. At all times, I would pick the cash option instead of annual payments.

Morrison, IL
                      United States
                      Member #4657
                      May 13, 2004
                      1884 Posts
                      Posted: April 24, 2006, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

WA state Lucky for Life scratch (which replaced the online Unlucky for Life) has a $750,000 cash option. Therefore there is no excuse for other "life" games not to have the choice.

Then WA Lucky for Life doubles as a normal cash prize game.

United States
                        Member #379
                        June 5, 2002
                        11296 Posts
                        Posted: April 25, 2006, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

Then WA Lucky for Life doubles as a normal cash prize game.

If Washington state has a cash option for its lifetime scratch, then why aren't other lotteries following suit? Maybe for the same reason all lotto games used to be annuity-only; to help annuity sellers make money.