Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 6:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ticket buyers on camera ...

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Uff Da!.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
Jacksonville Florida
United States
Member #23018
October 6, 2005
931 Posts
Posted: April 20, 2006, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

Since most conveinence and other stores that sell lottery tickets now have security cameras, it would be possible to see who purchases a winning jackpot ticket before it is turned in.

Most lottery systems know the exact date, time, and location a ticket is sold. The Florida lottery tickets now have the date and time down to hundreths of a second printed on each ticket.

So, by observing the ticket purchase time and the time stamp on the security camera video, it is possible they could be matched up. This would assume that the clock on the video camera system was correct.

Although it is very difficult to claim a prize without a ticket (usually a legislative action is required), this could be one piece of evidence proving who bought a winning ticket. This information could also be used to identify who bought a ticket before it was turned in...

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10389 Posts
    Posted: April 20, 2006, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

What if the person buying the ticket is a "runner", buying a ticket for a neighbor or co-worker?

Konformthismfs's avatar - lisasham
      CA
      United States
      Member #4429
      April 23, 2004
      426 Posts
      Posted: April 20, 2006, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/8361353/detail.html?subid=10101581

Here's one in Calif a couple of weeks ago were the camera helped a winner! When he turned in the ticket, the clerk said it was only worth a few bucks , then paid him, then tried to cash it in himself! They had the actual buyer/winner's face all over the news that day looking for him.Turned out to be worth $530,000.00 WOW! Be Sure to know what your ticket is worth before turning it in....

It's not what you got,  It's what you give,  It's not the life you choose, It's the life you live! Guitar

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
        Member #12618
        March 18, 2005
        2060 Posts
        Posted: April 20, 2006, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Konformthismfs, I think that guy should have checked his ticket himself instead of relying on the clerk to check it. Why do people have strangers check their tickets? I wonder if it is laziness. It's not like it takes much effort to do.

Dance like no one is watching.

Baton Rouge, LA
          United States
          Member #4602
          May 7, 2004
          700 Posts
          Posted: April 22, 2006, 11:09 am - IP Logged

I always check my own tickets against the Powerball and LA Lottery websites. Before those were available, I called the toll free number to get my info. Some people are just lazy I think.

PrisonerSix

Baton Rouge, LA
            United States
            Member #4602
            May 7, 2004
            700 Posts
            Posted: April 22, 2006, 11:13 am - IP Logged

What if the person buying the ticket is a "runner", buying a ticket for a neighbor or co-worker?

That could happen too. I remember the recent big Powerball jackpot won by the meat packing plant workers. The convenience store tapes were checked and they narrowed it down to a few people. For it to be possible, the clocks on the lottery computers and the VCR taping the convenience store would have to be in sync. Computers are probably synced to the atomic clock, but I'm not sure about convenience store security cameras.

PrisonerSix

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
              Wisconsin
              United States
              Member #1303
              March 27, 2003
              1508 Posts
              Posted: April 22, 2006, 11:24 am - IP Logged

Konformthismfs, I think that guy should have checked his ticket himself instead of relying on the clerk to check it. Why do people have strangers check their tickets? I wonder if it is laziness. It's not like it takes much effort to do.

FWIW -- The way I figure it, if you don't care enough about the lottery or the ticket to find out what numbers were drawn on your own after the drawing, then don't gripe when you lose out. Just my 2 cents.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                Washington State
                United States
                Member #33973
                February 26, 2006
                347 Posts
                Posted: April 22, 2006, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

If the camera shows a runner from an internet lottery sales company buying the tickets, couldn't that give the state appropriate ammunition to deny the claim as illegal even if the person making the claim had a ticket?  I don't know how the law works on these things.