Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

It makes you wonder!

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 11 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
pa
United States
Member #37901
April 20, 2006
1 Posts
Posted: April 20, 2006, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

It makes you wonder some times that whenever Powerball or Megaball have high jackpots, that there is always just one ticket that is a winner. I know there are millions of combinations, but there are millions of people that play. You would think there has to be a lot of tickets with the same numbers.It would be nice to have two tickets or ten tickets with the lucky numbers. Let me hear you think.

United States
    Member #10720
    January 23, 2005
    933 Posts
    Posted: April 20, 2006, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

It depends on the number of tickets SOLD FOR THAT DRAWING minus takeout and minus Powerplays, not the number of players or the current jackpot. Notice how much the jackpot rolls over, normally maybe 20 million initially, which means (ignoring PowerPlay) 40 million tickets sold each drawing. A 200 Mill jackpot doesn't mean 200 million tickets in play! Odds are flirting with 200 million to 1, so that means each drawing about a 5-1 to 10-1 chance of a winner. Also bear in mind most get Quick Picks which generate horrible combinations. There is even rumor that the RNG won't give you a set that has already been played somewhere for that drawing.

One time there was an instance where a set of numbers was the Powerball different from a set commonly printed in some Fortune Cookies. 100 people won $100K or more each. Had the Powerball number matched, there'd have been some 100 jackpot winners!!!

If there were more often multiple jackpot winners, there would be less rollovers. When there are not enough rollovers, guess what, Powerball Headquarters tosses in a few more balls! 

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #2338
      September 17, 2003
      2063 Posts
      Posted: April 21, 2006, 12:44 am - IP Logged

They don't toss in a few more balls. While the idea of a "rollover" ball hasn't occured to any lottery yet it might in the future. Currently MUSL/MegaMillions changes the matrix then balls are added but that takes months.

A "rollover" ball would have to be a ball not on the playslips and couldn't be covered by players. I suppose they could add a ball to the power/mega balls that just said "rollover" then you know the lottery is going to rollover. It would more than likely aggravate players to no end though, unless you were hoping for a rollover. Rollover balls could decrease as the jackpot grows. Wouldn't work on the Euromillions game unless all the "rollover" balls were gone on the 12th drawing.

As for being one of many winners - just play 1-2-3-4-5-6 in a lottery. There are already enough pools winning as is for the "just one shouldn't win it" crowd. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19830 Posts
        Posted: April 21, 2006, 12:52 am - IP Logged

According to the report at the lottoreport website, sales varies from 20M when the jackpot is $12M to 95M when the jackpot is $250M+ which leaves at least 75M+ combinations not sold when sales are at their highest.  That's 75M additional chances for someone to buy a combination nobody else has.  It's not hard to understand  when the the odds of winning the jackpot is 1:175,711,536 why only one ticket wins when 100,000,000 tickets are sold. 

Like the fortune cookie incident there could be an event that cause a lot of people to play the same winning numbers, but there would be a lot of unhappy winners.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: April 21, 2006, 1:12 am - IP Logged

It's like a jungle sometimes... It makes me wonder how I keep from going under.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: April 21, 2006, 2:46 am - IP Logged

"Like the fortune cookie incident there could be an event that cause a lot of people to play the same winning numbers, but there would be a lot of unhappy winners." RJOh

I don't think I'm a selfish person, but I have to agree with RJOh here. If I finally won a jackpot after years and years of playing, I'd be very upset to learn I had to share it with 50 other players since the odds of winning it a second time are very, very slim. However, if a jackpot is over $100M, I think it would be nice if more than 1 person won. BTW, 2 quickpicks just won the $82M Florida jackpot on Wed. I read that in the news just after I said "I'll never buy a quickpick again!"

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
              Member #28409
              December 15, 2005
              1198 Posts
              Posted: April 21, 2006, 10:27 am - IP Logged

I personally hate the quickpicks. They just take all the fun out of it for me.Wink

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

Palm Harbor, FL
                United States
                Member #32362
                February 11, 2006
                145 Posts
                Posted: April 21, 2006, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

It depends on the number of tickets SOLD FOR THAT DRAWING minus takeout and minus Powerplays, not the number of players or the current jackpot. Notice how much the jackpot rolls over, normally maybe 20 million initially, which means (ignoring PowerPlay) 40 million tickets sold each drawing. A 200 Mill jackpot doesn't mean 200 million tickets in play! Odds are flirting with 200 million to 1, so that means each drawing about a 5-1 to 10-1 chance of a winner. Also bear in mind most get Quick Picks which generate horrible combinations. There is even rumor that the RNG won't give you a set that has already been played somewhere for that drawing.

One time there was an instance where a set of numbers was the Powerball different from a set commonly printed in some Fortune Cookies. 100 people won $100K or more each. Had the Powerball number matched, there'd have been some 100 jackpot winners!!!

If there were more often multiple jackpot winners, there would be less rollovers. When there are not enough rollovers, guess what, Powerball Headquarters tosses in a few more balls! 

add more balls? What would happen if the same #'s came up twice. Wouldnt they have to add more #'s to choose from? I dont see how that could be pulled off.......

Palm Harbor, FL
                  United States
                  Member #32362
                  February 11, 2006
                  145 Posts
                  Posted: April 21, 2006, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

I personally hate the quickpicks. They just take all the fun out of it for me.Wink

I also do not care much for QP's (even though I get a couple when the jackpot is high) - However both winners for FL lotto on Wed were QP's..........

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                    adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3300 Posts
                    Posted: April 25, 2006, 9:51 am - IP Logged

no they meant  draw more balls,  like if its a 6/49. draw 7 and any 6 of the 7 hit the jackpot.

it seriously messes with the odds tho