Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Gee Todd, don't you think...

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 11 years ago by dvdiva.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
Michigan
United States
Member #22395
September 24, 2005
1583 Posts
Posted: April 22, 2006, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

that is a little too rough for Parths small programs? These are not part of his "for sale" program. And Parths is a part of us. I understand someone coming here and using this site primarily for advertising but that isn't the case with Parths.

Can you explain why you allow others to post websites that charge subscription fees and/or also sell some software? I won't name names because off the top of my head, I don't remember. But I know they post often and do make money from their own websites.

Why doesn't LP make a profit? What would be the breakeven point? Can you cut corners elsewhere? Maybe the graphics are using too much bandwidth? What does it cost to advertise here?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: April 22, 2006, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

truecritic,

Todd always have the choice of cutting cost as the old Maybelle site did, and then where would we all go.  Years ago LottoPro had a forum for it customers, maybe Parths can do the same.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23277 Posts
      Posted: April 22, 2006, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

Where is someone posting advertising?  Please click the Report button on any such post, because Lottery Post never has allowed free advertising.

I know there are some people who get completely bent out of shape any time this topic comes up, and there is nothing I can do about it.

I decided when I created this site that I would not allow free advertising, and it has made a very enjoyable place for lottery players, in my opinion.

There is nothing "rough" about saying "don't post links".  Just don't do it.

If paurths really only intends to post a freebie program, then as a premium member, he can post his freebie download on his Lottery Post homepage.  He gets free webspace to do so.

Now, if that does not sound like a reasonable compromise to you, then you are really not being fair about your criticism, and your only position would be that I should allow paurths to post free advertising, no matter what the rules say.

As for your questioning of how I am not making a profit, maybe you can look around and count how many advertisements you see.  And count how many things you see for sale.  Compare the number you come up with to any other web site of similar size (half a milllion posts, 40,000 members, 17 million predictions posted).

Then, try to figure out the cost of leasing dedicated rackspace in a professional data center, maintaing the four servers that run the site (not to mention the cost of those servers and software), the cost of a professional lottery data service for every game out there, not to mention the thousands of hours of time every year it takes to run everything.

It's very easy for someone to sit back and think they have all the answers, but you have not lived a minute in my shoes, so you have no idea what it's like.  And you should be thanking your lucky stars for that, because it's no picnic.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #22395
        September 24, 2005
        1583 Posts
        Posted: April 22, 2006, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

I am not going to report anyone.  I know for a fact that you know of one because "this discussion" has come up before.  And I did find out about his subscription service due to his posting at LP.

I don't have all the answers, that is why I asked questions.  I hope you don't feel unappreciated - because that isn't the issue here.  You are appreciated.  The day may come when you decide "enough is enough" and shutdown.  If you think the only answer is more paid advertising, then go for it.  But cutting costs is always an option too.

As to Paurths, the posted link was only a direct download - it did not redirect anyone to his site.  In fact, I haven't even seen his site due to anything he posted here. 

Using his LP webspace is a good idea.  Perhaps he will be so gracious to post that link for anyone still wanting to download his free programs.

Alabama
          United States
          Member #17830
          June 27, 2005
          309 Posts
          Posted: April 22, 2006, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

Todd, Thanks for all you do to make Lottery Post the best lottery web site on the net!!

I hope more folks will consider supporting your efforts by signing up for a Premium Membership.

For anyone wanting to know more about the benefits of a Lottery Post Premium Membership, click on the links in my signature line.

Check out the benefits of a Lottery Post Premium Membership!

Want to know more?  >> Click Here <<

Read what Platinum Members have to say:  << Click Here >> 

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #2338
            September 17, 2003
            2063 Posts
            Posted: April 24, 2006, 2:05 am - IP Logged

Where is someone posting advertising?  Please click the Report button on any such post, because Lottery Post never has allowed free advertising.

I know there are some people who get completely bent out of shape any time this topic comes up, and there is nothing I can do about it.

I decided when I created this site that I would not allow free advertising, and it has made a very enjoyable place for lottery players, in my opinion.

There is nothing "rough" about saying "don't post links".  Just don't do it.

If paurths really only intends to post a freebie program, then as a premium member, he can post his freebie download on his Lottery Post homepage.  He gets free webspace to do so.

Now, if that does not sound like a reasonable compromise to you, then you are really not being fair about your criticism, and your only position would be that I should allow paurths to post free advertising, no matter what the rules say.

As for your questioning of how I am not making a profit, maybe you can look around and count how many advertisements you see.  And count how many things you see for sale.  Compare the number you come up with to any other web site of similar size (half a milllion posts, 40,000 members, 17 million predictions posted).

Then, try to figure out the cost of leasing dedicated rackspace in a professional data center, maintaing the four servers that run the site (not to mention the cost of those servers and software), the cost of a professional lottery data service for every game out there, not to mention the thousands of hours of time every year it takes to run everything.

It's very easy for someone to sit back and think they have all the answers, but you have not lived a minute in my shoes, so you have no idea what it's like.  And you should be thanking your lucky stars for that, because it's no picnic.

These are always the most interesting posts you make. All I could do is look up the site on netcraft but it never shows what goes on the back room. I didn't know the site has four servers. I also wondered how the site gets all the results so fast and more complete than any other lottery site. I've seen sites getting millions of hits a day and only have 2 servers. We all appricate your hard work it's just interesting for me to see the mechanics because I'm sure it's not easy.