Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 6:32 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Sad story of the week

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 11 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: April 30, 2006, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

I would imagine as time goes by when the clerk tells that story that amount will be bigger and bigger!

That's usually the case when ever anyone tell a story about the ones that got away.

I Agree!

However, I worked with an 81 yr old woman who told me one week she changed one number in her regular set of 6.  The jackpot was $15M and she got 5/6 and won a little over $5,000. I figured it was one of those "I came so close" stories. The odds of winning are so high, so the odds of your numbers being chosen the one night you skip or change them must be astronomical. (That said, I think the odds are the same as any other week right?) Anyway, when this lady looked in my eyes, with hers full of tears, swore on her grandchildren that she was telling me the truth, I figured it had to be true. 

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3316 Posts
    Posted: May 6, 2006, 1:01 am - IP Logged

if you have a legity claim, and know what time and date the wining ticket was bought, also a stat declaration by several people , you may get a payout from the lottery comission.

the lottery knows when and where the winning ticket was bought, you would just have to prove the guy was the one who actually bought it. with all these witnesses, it sounds do-able.

jeeze 15k tell him to call the legal or claims dept of the lottery, and ask about a lost ticket. and how to claim

luckieStarr's avatar - darven
      philadelphia,PA
      United States
      Member #27080
      November 26, 2005
      507 Posts
      Posted: May 6, 2006, 11:59 am - IP Logged

SirMetro

No No

"Ye shall not mention system and winner and leave everyone hanging without an explanation"

Lottery Discussion 3:27

My apologies, I had made the mistake of assuming everyone had read the same posts I had. Information about the "ClairCash" can be found here http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/132487 

The name was assumed to provide appropiate credit to Clairvoyance and Cashman87. I did a spreadsheet and Paurths was kind enough to write and give away a cool little program that followed the idea  http://www.sportdienstprovant.be/download/ls/minus12plusn.zip .

In GA, when you purchase Straight/Box, you now receive 2 tickets. One for the number BOX and one for the number Straight. I guess this was to let folks be able to collect on the smaller portion of the payout without having to pay taxes on it. I consider that ruther generous that the State would actually develop a way to help the player increase their payout.

luckieStarr, the story I told is an honest story, not something I fabricated. And RJOh, I was only sad I didn't have any money that nite to have bought tickets for myself. And for the rest, I personally would have been hunting that garbage truck down for those tickets, no way would I had just shrugged my shoulders like that guy did.

Good Luck & Have fun Folks

Sir Metro

I believe he brought the tickets...i do not believe he threw the tickets away...I think he just told YOU he threw them away...oh, just to keep you off balanceThudand from asking for a cut...after all you did give him the number.Shifty

Leaving  Keep It In until It Wins!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19901 Posts
        Posted: May 7, 2006, 12:13 am - IP Logged

I doubt if a clerk would do that because it would the same as some one playing a LP predictions and winning big.  I would think any gratuity more than a "thank you" would not be wanted or expected.  If such a reward was wanted, it should be mentioned up front other wise it shouldn't be offered even if expected. 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
          Member #2338
          September 17, 2003
          2063 Posts
          Posted: May 7, 2006, 1:14 am - IP Logged

The worst story I heard happened at a 7-11 on Lake City Way in Seattle.

Before the early 90's you could get lottery tickets the day of the drawing and 15 minutes before the tickets would automatically convert to the next drawing date. Almost every clerk knew this and would warn players that the tickets were for the next drawing.

A woman bought tickets at the above 7-11 and wasn't warned (or so she said). The tickets were purchased before the drawing but since they were within the 15 minutes they were for the next drawing not the one being held on Saturday. Her tickets had the winning numbers but she won nothing since they were for the next drawing.

Now no tickets are sold in the 15 minutes between the cutoff and the drawing. She later sued and lost. The ticket was a quick pick. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: May 7, 2006, 3:47 am - IP Logged

dvdiva - I agree! That IS the worst story I've ever heard on this subject. OMG! I would have gone crazy.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19901 Posts
              Posted: May 7, 2006, 10:23 am - IP Logged

Ohio lottery have published stories about mistakes on customer ticket who requested it be canceled only to find out later that the canceled ticket would have won the jackpot had only the customer been willing to eat the cost of the mistake.  As a result, I think there are less cancellation of tickets now.

Note: Ohio rules are only local lottery tickets can be canceled and a MegaMillions tickets can never be canceled

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11338 Posts
                Posted: May 7, 2006, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

same here.....tn tickets can be canceled but the big jackpot games can't be cancelled once they are printed.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10392 Posts
                  Posted: May 7, 2006, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

As this thread goes on this story has tabloid written all over it. I can see the Weekly World News in the near future;

"Should have been lottery winner cancels ticket, needed another $1 for cigarettes."

Cletis J. Johnson told the WWN that he had played a $1 lottery ticket but then he thought cigarettes were $1 cheaper than what they were and had already opened the pack he just bought as he really needed a smoke. So he had the clerk cancel the ticket and those were the numbers that came in. Cletis would have won $3,690,000 before taxes.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                    Member #2338
                    September 17, 2003
                    2063 Posts
                    Posted: May 7, 2006, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

Well I can't blame him. Cigarettes are way more addictive than the lottery and he needed a smoke.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10392 Posts
                      Posted: May 8, 2006, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

$3 million worth?

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                        adelaide sa
                        Australia
                        Member #37136
                        April 11, 2006
                        3316 Posts
                        Posted: May 9, 2006, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

HEHEH  i didnt have enough for smokes once so bought a spot 2 keno, the prize was $12. enough for smokes and a coke.

i let out a large WOOO HOOO HOOO , when i won, and someone excitedly asked what did i win?

i was kinda embarrased to say enough for some smokes. but i did.