Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Another lottery winner goes broke

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 11 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #26330
November 16, 2005
330 Posts
Posted: May 4, 2006, 2:12 pm - IP Logged
Jackpot Winner May Lose House

May 4, 2006 9:06 a.m. EST

Ayinde O. Chase - All Headline News Staff Writer

Palm Beach, FL (AHN) - In what is the talk of the town, an unemployed man that won a Powerball jackpot may be broke again as his $1.2 million Florida home is scheduled to be on the auction block May 22.

The Palm Beach Post has tried to contact David Lee Edwards to no avail.

Post reporters have only been able to ascertain that since he won $42 million in a Kentucky Powerball drawing in 2001, Edwards bought a golf course home in Palm Beach`s BallenIsles community, owned numerous sports cars and was a start-up philanthropist.

However, things weren’t all rosy as he and his wife filed for divorce and both were arrested on cocaine charges last year. The cases are pending.

Other reports have the 51-year-old Edwards ceasing to pay maintenance fees on his home and the local homeowners association is trying to collect more than $8,600 in back fees.

Robert Frein, former president of the BallenIsles Community Association, says Edwards` situation is the talk of the town and that his house is probably worth about $1.5 million now.

I remember seeing a program about lotto winners with him on it about a year ago. He was going through his huge mansion showing off how he had 2 of these and 3 of these at 100 grand each and you just got the feeling he was going to go broke.

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
    Member #15309
    May 13, 2005
    307 Posts
    Posted: May 4, 2006, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

I remember this winner.  Yes, he was featured with other lotto winners in a TV program.  He looked quite flamboyant at that time.  How very sad.

md
      United States
      Member #14047
      April 20, 2005
      579 Posts
      Posted: May 4, 2006, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

I remember him indeed.  My wife and I came away with the same thought.  That he was arrogant and splurging his money more than he could manage it!  Its unfortunate.  Sad.  Sad.  Sad.

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
        Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
        United States
        Member #26084
        November 14, 2005
        199 Posts
        Posted: May 4, 2006, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

Drug abuse seems to be a common thread in these stories. Face it if you can't live within your means on $50 thousand a year what makes you think you can be fiscally responsible for millions.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
          Member #91
          January 19, 2002
          11904 Posts
          Posted: May 4, 2006, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

You can do a LP search of powerbaoll winner David Lee Edwards,  We hit this topic back in January!  he was supposedly on the run back then

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
            Member #12618
            March 18, 2005
            2060 Posts
            Posted: May 4, 2006, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

I remember watching that lottery program too. He did seem to have a bit of a spending habit. I remember when he was showing off different objects he had bought and he got to the bathroom and there was this one carved piece and he laughed and said he wouldn't even tell anybody how much that piece cost.

If he had invested his money, kept the spending down, him and his family could have been set for life.

Dance like no one is watching.

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
              Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
              United States
              Member #26084
              November 14, 2005
              199 Posts
              Posted: May 4, 2006, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

What I do (dreaming of winning the big one) is I take the amount after taxes and divide it into 20 years.

For example MM is an estimated 22,500,000 after taxes. Which makes my budget 1,125,000 a year. The money I make through safe investments (say bonds) will go on the back in after 20 years.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

Morrison, IL
                United States
                Member #4657
                May 13, 2004
                1884 Posts
                Posted: May 4, 2006, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

Once again greed gets the best of a lottery winner.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                  Tennessee
                  United States
                  Member #7853
                  October 15, 2004
                  11338 Posts
                  Posted: May 4, 2006, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

was this the guy who a person was posting was their brother in law and had been staying at her house with their kids?

New York, NY
                    United States
                    Member #13514
                    April 7, 2005
                    235 Posts
                    Posted: May 4, 2006, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

For some people more money means more problems.  It's really a shame that some people do not manage their fiances when they hit a nice jackpot.  I wonder if these people bother to contact financial advisors?

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                      Member #91
                      January 19, 2002
                      11904 Posts
                      Posted: May 4, 2006, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

was this the guy who a person was posting was their brother in law and had been staying at her house with their kids?

Yeah thats the one but I think it was the sister -in -law that was doing all the jawing about them

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                        Member #567
                        August 14, 2002
                        482 Posts
                        Posted: May 5, 2006, 4:29 am - IP Logged

If he had won it in a state that allows you to be anonymous, his life would have been completely different.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                          Member #12618
                          March 18, 2005
                          2060 Posts
                          Posted: May 5, 2006, 6:13 am - IP Logged

That may be true rundown, but the guy still went on tv and had other problems going on in his life. (like overspending and drugs) I don't think being anonymous would have kept this guy out of trouble.

Dance like no one is watching.

cathywalden's avatar - savy chick.png
                            boca raton
                            United States
                            Member #39209
                            May 12, 2006
                            3 Posts
                            Posted: May 12, 2006, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

I went to school with David, I was hoping that he was going to get his life on the right track and do the right thing...everyone from our town said that the money and the good life would only last a year if that...I was so hoping that they were all wrong! I did see the show that he was on...the way he was showing off the expensive items that he purchased? such a waste.....I would hate to be in his shoes and have to go back to Ashland! I know how they are in Ashland (small town) like a soap opera...part of me feels bad for him....we did use to be friends...you care about your friends.

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
                              Jacksonville Florida
                              United States
                              Member #23018
                              October 6, 2005
                              914 Posts
                              Posted: May 12, 2006, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

Two words: Money Management

Two more words: Common Sense

This is a story which happens many times involving people who are instant multi-millionaires. It's one thing to have never had it, but even more sad for someone who has had it (the money) and blew it.

On the lighter side, I remember a Saturday Night Live report of a man in New York who won several million. Dennis Miller, the SNL news jokester at the time, commented "The winner was an unemployed cocaine addict. He was quoted as saying the winnings would not change who he was and added that he planned no lifestyle changes."