Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 9:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

TN lottery .. education

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
Member #5344
June 30, 2004
23641 Posts
Posted: May 8, 2006, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

I just found out this week I was lucky to keep the two assistants I have this year for the upcoming year. I had requested another one for next year.. We are working short as it is..

I was told they are pulling assistants from each school because of lacking of State funding.. Like what is going on here?

I am all for the lottery helping those with college expenses who would otherwise not get to go..

However, we need to start from bottom up here.

Each child deserves the best education possible in the earlier grades.. and if they ever so have a desire to go to college, then that should be considered..

Tax payers.. and lottery players... Should have a vote on where that money goes first..

I am not asking for more money each month as a teacher, but more help to meet the needs of these children..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
    Charlotte NC
    United States
    Member #17406
    June 18, 2005
    4053 Posts
    Posted: May 8, 2006, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

I just found out this week I was lucky to keep the two assistants I have this year for the upcoming year. I had requested another one for next year.. We are working short as it is..

I was told they are pulling assistants from each school because of lacking of State funding.. Like what is going on here?

I am all for the lottery helping those with college expenses who would otherwise not get to go..

However, we need to start from bottom up here.

Each child deserves the best education possible in the earlier grades.. and if they ever so have a desire to go to college, then that should be considered..

Tax payers.. and lottery players... Should have a vote on where that money goes first..

I am not asking for more money each month as a teacher, but more help to meet the needs of these children..

Yes NodNC will start with Pre-K and elementary education funding as well as college scholarships.  That is why the scratch off payoff percentages are so low.  Thirty five percent of lottery proceeds must go to education, a written legislative law.  That was one of the biggest arguments of passing a lottery in NC.  Other states hadn't proven that a state ran lottery helped education with the exception of a few.  It was written into the NC lottery law is order to get yes votes.

Maybe you should find out what Tn's is and find out where the money is really going.  And also, there can be a hierarchy system in place at your school or in the county.  It's possible that funds are being distributed to the school but doled out by the discretion of those in charge.  You will be surpised.  I've seen grant money from a community partnership used to hire someone back who had quit to start a business when there was a hiring freeze on.

Some counties here in NC are already whining because they are not getting as much as other counties.  Lottery proceeds do not solve the money problems of all the schools because there are going to be those who will get theirs and someone else's.

It's bureaucracy at all levels. 

takeemtothebank

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #2338
      September 17, 2003
      2063 Posts
      Posted: May 9, 2006, 12:22 am - IP Logged

People already vote with school levies. As far as lottery monies are concerned it's only a matter of time before it becomes part of the general funds. In the Seattle area most of the wealthy have their children in private schools then vote against school levies. The exceptions are places like Mercer Island that see the benifits of having good public schools. Any lottery isn't going to be enough to fund education. It also helps having good financial management. I think we got our managers from Enron.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10351 Posts
        Posted: May 9, 2006, 1:12 am - IP Logged

Lotteries always promise "bucks for education" but it's usually a lie. They make it appear to be going for education, but in reality they put it in the school at one place and take out at least that much, if not more, in another.  

For what the Illinois lottery has taken in since its inception, every school in Illinois should look like a brand new ultra-modern facility but that is hardly the case.  Teahcer's salaries hardly show any whopping lottery proceeds either.