Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 9:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Killer said lottery cheated

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Kjelstad.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
Member #26882
November 23, 2005
1404 Posts
Posted: May 10, 2006, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

Has Anyone Ever Read this story? I found it the other day while doing a search! I am not really sure of the Date it was published but I think it was published in March 1998 according to the URL.

Makes you wonder about those scratch tickets hey? Like how some people said when they won on a scratch ticket the clerk would say it was already cashed in! Hmmmmmmm!

Killer said lottery cheated
Beck angry at demotion at work, too

http://www.recordonline.com/1998/03/03-08-98/lottki.htm

NEWINGTON, Conn. (AP) -- The accountant who gunned down four people at state lottery headquarters before killing himself had complained to newspapers months beforehand that lottery players were being cheated.
Matthew Beck, who worked for the lottery more than eight years, approached at least two newspaper reporters to interest them in recent changes at the lottery.
He claimed the Connecticut Lottery Corp. exaggerated potential winnings to spur ticket sales, and that store clerks were taking winning scratch tickets for themselves by cracking the computer system.
His discussions with The Day of New London and The Hartford Courant included his complaints of unfair treatment at work.
The Courant described him as frothing at the mouth and said his eyes were "wild," while The Day described him as "scruffy" in appearance.
Beck, 35, shot to death four of his bosses Friday, including one who was chased into a parking lot and shot as he reportedly begged for his life. As police approached, Beck put the pistol to his temple and fired.
Beck was described by friends and co-workers as a quiet, diligent worker who became mired in depression because of job problems.
He went years without a promotion, then filed a grievance in August one year after he was shifted from accounting to data processing work.
After taking a stress-related leave in October and undergoing treatment, he returned to work Feb. 25 when an arbitrator ruled he had taken on responsibilities outside his job description. Beck was waiting to see if he would be given back pay for the additional work. Prior to returning to work, Beck told reporters about alleged lottery scams.
"They need to increase revenues by $30 million and they're under a lot of pressure," Beck told The Day in January to explain why jackpots were being exaggerated.
In November, lottery officials admitted projected Lotto jackpots had been inflated for years by rounding sales projections to the nearest half-million-dollar figure. For example, if projections showed the prize would be $9.1 million, the figure would be rounded up to $9.5 million in advertising.
Otho Brown, the lottery president killed Friday in the parking lot, said that the practice had been stopped.
Beck also claimed that some store clerks had been cheating the system by "fishing" for instant winning tickets, The Courant said.
He told the newspaper that the clerks punched code numbers into lottery computers until they came up with the winning combination and then would take the cash.
A lottery spokesman yesterdayreferred specific questions about lottery operations and methods to Nicholas T. Manno, who has been appointed acting chief executive officer in place of Brown. Manno declined to comment yesterday.
Beck's own father described his son as "troubled" and authorities said he had attempted suicide at least twice before.
But Paul Davis, a friend of Beck's since elementary school, said Beck "never even got in an argument back in school."
"I never would have expected it from him," Davis said. "If I ever needed any help, I could always get it from Matt."
The two graduated together from Ledyard High School in 1980, stayed in touch and occasionally went hiking.
"He was the all-American guy. He was Mr. Clean-cut," said Herbert H. Vars Jr., a childhood friend who lives down the road from the Beck family home.
Beck, who ran cross country in high school, still liked to run and would wave as he passed Vars' home. But some friends and co-workers said he was angry over not being promoted and was seeking a transfer to another state agency without success.
"If I said hello to him, he would just turn and walk away," one resident told the New Haven Register. "He was out there."
Beck, who had recently taken to shaving his head and wearing a goatee, arrived to work Friday morning with a semiautomatic handgun and a butcher-style knife. He had driven in from Ledyard, where he had moved back in with his parents six months ago.
He first stabbed and shot Michael Logan, an information-services manager who first denied his grievance. He then walked into an adjacent area and shot Linda Mlynarczyk, the lottery's chief financial officer with whom he had recently discussed his new duties. He told her "bye bye" before firing three times, witnesses said.
He then shot Frederick Rubelmann III, a person he had once appealed to for help, before chasing down Brown in the parking lot.
    Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10344 Posts
    Posted: May 10, 2006, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

Wow. Things like this certainly make you wonder about the state lottery commissions and officals.

Good find Clairvoyance.  

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
      Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #1303
      March 27, 2003
      1508 Posts
      Posted: May 10, 2006, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

It should be posted in every lottery office and be required reading for lottery employees.

Maybe make some of the bozos think twice before getting ideas.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

USA
        United States
        Member #1849
        July 15, 2003
        265 Posts
        Posted: May 11, 2006, 12:45 am - IP Logged

Conspiracy theory stuff it sounds like to me but there is not doubt that any form of gambling, including state lotteries has a percentage of corruption.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
          Charlotte NC
          United States
          Member #17406
          June 18, 2005
          4053 Posts
          Posted: May 11, 2006, 1:28 am - IP Logged

Wow. Things like this certainly make you wonder about the state lottery commissions and officals.

Good find Clairvoyance.  

CrazyThere are a few people a year to go postal but I had no idea that state lottery employees were among them.  What a horrific thing.

takeemtothebank

Lkydeb*594's avatar - yummyxmascat
            Luv Vtracs 8-)

United States
            Member #38062
            April 23, 2006
            12570 Posts
            Posted: May 11, 2006, 2:34 am - IP Logged

Yes NodThat just goes to show how supervisors & managers should be concern of all employee's feelings on the job but the way this world is going, all they care about is  working their employees to death to save money.  I hope they all read the story as it is so sad. Good find Clairvoyance! 

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #22395
              September 24, 2005
              1583 Posts
              Posted: May 11, 2006, 3:03 am - IP Logged

I am not really sure of the Date it was published but I think it was published in March 1998 according to the URL.

Found 2 dates, both coincide with yours. 

March 8, 1998 Matthew Beck #1

March 6, 1998 Matthew Beck #2

United States
                Member #26882
                November 23, 2005
                1404 Posts
                Posted: May 11, 2006, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

Hi Everyone,

Great comments, thanks everyone!

I think the poor man (Beck) felt threatened and got pushed into the corner and I have no doubt that he was told to shut his mouth or else! And I think he turned that "or else" around on them.

He did expose some things about the lottery and of course the lottery officials would not be amused!

Was he really upset about the job position or again was he just trying to expose the lottery for the rats they are because he wanted people to know the facts? The lottery official even admitted that projected Lotto jackpots had been inflated for years by rounding sales projections to the nearest half-million-dollar figure.

What he did of course was very sad! I read the article from the URL that truecritic posted here and there is much more information about Beck there and it does not make him look like a monster like this article perceived him to be. Everyone has a breaking point and again I think he thought he was doing something good for others by exposing that information and when he did he was threatened!  Then they make him out to look like a mad man to save their butts! Isn't that the way it usually goes?

Same goes for animals! Take a ground hog for instance, I can walk right by them where I live and just about pet them, and they just keep on eating and mind their own business, however, get them in a corner once and threaten them and you will see a whole different critter! They will attack!

You are right Tenaj, there are many postals a year and is why the Saying "Don't Go Postal On Me"! Got started.

Badger, you are right maybe it should be in the employee handbook!

Just makes you think about the lottery and what is Really going on that the public will never know about, but I am sure just as I, many here have their suspicions!

Blessings!

United States
                  Member #26882
                  November 23, 2005
                  1404 Posts
                  Posted: May 11, 2006, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

Yes NodThat just goes to show how supervisors & managers should be concern of all employee's feelings on the job but the way this world is going, all they care about is  working their employees to death to save money.  I hope they all read the story as it is so sad. Good find Clairvoyance! 

Hi Deb,

You are right! It is the way the world is going! Its all about  money ..NOT PEOPLE!

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: May 12, 2006, 9:39 am - IP Logged

There are virtually no red flags in the Connecticut Lottery. Compare that to MA (annuity-only scratch games and Megabucks) and NY (annuity-only scratches and the terrible payback in NY Rotto).

Washington
                      United States
                      Member #37754
                      April 19, 2006
                      6 Posts
                      Posted: May 12, 2006, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

There are virtually no red flags in the Connecticut Lottery. Compare that to MA (annuity-only scratch games and Megabucks) and NY (annuity-only scratches and the terrible payback in NY Rotto).

MY GOD, MAN!

you can turn anything into an annuity bashing post!

I would tell you to get help but I like to laugh.