Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

lobbying lawmakers...

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: May 13, 2006, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

Guys, with the topic of private lotteries been illegal, i will like to add the following. If you had the cash will you lobby lawmakers in the U.S into passing a law or amending the law so that private lotteries that compete with the state can become legal in the U.S..Will you do it if you had serious cash, I mean incredibly wealthy? I would perhaps not here in the States but abroad...

pumpi76

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
    Wisconsin
    United States
    Member #1303
    March 27, 2003
    1508 Posts
    Posted: May 13, 2006, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

If I had that kind of cash, why would I lobby for private lotteries...unless I was the one that was going to own and run it ?

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

New Mexico
      United States
      Member #12305
      March 10, 2005
      2984 Posts
      Posted: May 13, 2006, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

Guys, with the topic of private lotteries been illegal, i will like to add the following. If you had the cash will you lobby lawmakers in the U.S into passing a law or amending the law so that private lotteries that compete with the state can become legal in the U.S..Will you do it if you had serious cash, I mean incredibly wealthy? I would perhaps not here in the States but abroad...

pumpi76

No.

But I'll agree one of the ways a person could become incredibly wealthy would be through operating a private lottery and not getting thrown in the slammer for his trouble.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

New Mexico
        United States
        Member #12305
        March 10, 2005
        2984 Posts
        Posted: May 13, 2006, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

A couple of generations ago gas stations, truck stops and rural eateries frequently had the moral equivalent of scratchers stashed behind the counter somewhere.  They called them punch cards.  A place might cost a dime or quarter, and a person might win a buck, a double-sawbuck.

A cadre of guys went around the country selling them to the gas station owners, storekeepers, hash-slingers, who'd make a profit, as would whomever the drummers were (route guys, sort of) who sold them.

I don't know when they vanished.  My impression was they were honest and straightforward, generally.  That one of the squares had a double-sawbuck in it, etc.  But everyone made money on them except the person who paid a pittance to punch a square, and an awfully lot of people paid for those squares with the change they had coming back.

I'd guess there was probably a Rocco somewhere behind it all, but I never heard of anyone getting prosecuted for punch cards.

However, nowadays it might get a businessman 2-10 in the big house for doing it.  In those days the competition might break the legs of the route man, but they weren't the same folks who own all the prisons.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser