Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 9:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Food for thought regarding anonymity....

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
482 Posts
Posted: May 15, 2006, 11:38 am - IP Logged

Good morning to everyone here at Lottery Post....

This morning, while at an office here at work, I was thinking about the lottery and what I would do, and something that I realized was that even if you go to North Dakota, Kansas, or Delaware and claim the prize anonymously, there could be lots of people outside the lottery headquarters. But if you won it in Ohio, Louisiana, or New Hampshire, you could send an attorney to claim the prize through a blind trust, meaning that no one could see you since you are not there anyway. Just some food for thought......

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #2338
    September 17, 2003
    2063 Posts
    Posted: May 15, 2006, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

Some states don't even allow trusts to claim tickets. I know both Oregon and BC, Canada, don't allow trusts to claim. Washington does. Of the three only WA allows anonymous claims as well. Not sure about the UK lottery but those four places are the only places I currently play.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
      Washington State
      United States
      Member #33973
      February 26, 2006
      347 Posts
      Posted: May 15, 2006, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

Some states don't even allow trusts to claim tickets. I know both Oregon and BC, Canada, don't allow trusts to claim. Washington does. Of the three only WA allows anonymous claims as well. Not sure about the UK lottery but those four places are the only places I currently play.

What?  Washington does allow trusts to claim and also allows one to claim anonymously?  Where do you get your information?  I will be jumping up and down for joy if you are right, but I interpreted the statements on the playslips to mean that Washington does not allow these things. 

On the back of the Lotto playslip it says, "The Washington Lottery has the right to publish the name of the prize winner.  A prize claim form is a public record governed by Chapter 42.17 RCW.  And on the back of the Mega Millions playslip it says "Washington's Lottery has the right to publish the name and city of residence of the prize winner.  The name and city of residence of jackpot winner(s) will be disclosed in a news conference or news release.  A prize claim form is a public record governed by Chapter 42.17 RCW."

So you are saying there is a way around it? 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19816 Posts
        Posted: May 15, 2006, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

Ohio publishes the name of the trust that claims the money plus the name of the lawyer representing the trust, it's a public record.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
          Member #2338
          September 17, 2003
          2063 Posts
          Posted: May 16, 2006, 1:39 am - IP Logged

What?  Washington does allow trusts to claim and also allows one to claim anonymously?  Where do you get your information?  I will be jumping up and down for joy if you are right, but I interpreted the statements on the playslips to mean that Washington does not allow these things. 

On the back of the Lotto playslip it says, "The Washington Lottery has the right to publish the name of the prize winner.  A prize claim form is a public record governed by Chapter 42.17 RCW.  And on the back of the Mega Millions playslip it says "Washington's Lottery has the right to publish the name and city of residence of the prize winner.  The name and city of residence of jackpot winner(s) will be disclosed in a news conference or news release.  A prize claim form is a public record governed by Chapter 42.17 RCW."

There have been several anonymous winners. Even the name of trusts if you look up the winners of lotto. Of course it's been a while since someone has claimed anonymously since lotto prizes (exept the $11M prize) have been so small lately why bother with anonymous claims.

They still list the name of the trust and city. Other than that they just say the winner wishes to be anonymous. I remember a $16M pot was claimed that way. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: May 16, 2006, 3:07 am - IP Logged

Anonymity has always been a popular topic on this board. I've lived in several states including MA, NH and now FL and I don't think there's anyway to keep your name out of the public records, even with a Trust.  Maybe I'm not recalling the NH laws correctly, since I never won enough to worry about them. But I thought that no matter how your money is claimed, the name of the trust, the lawyer and the person who owns the trust will be published. That doesn't mean that it will be printed in the newspaper or on a website necessarily, but available for public viewing. I wouldn't want my name in the paper just because of security. That's why I'll move before I claim any large prize. I agree that it's better to keep your picture out of the paper, but there's no attorney I really trust enough with millions of dollars to pickup my check, so I'd have to go in person anyway!  I realize that some articles say that NH is a state where a winner can remain anonymous, and some winners have chosen that option, but below in red are direct quotes from their website, so this issue is confusing to me. I won't quote everything on this subject since there are so many sections, but:

New Hampshire state law requires the winner's name, town and amount won be available for public information. A winner's street address and phone number is not considered public information.

and:   If the claimant is a trust, the individual named as trustee shall furnish photographic identification to the commission at the time of the claim.

then it adds: If the claim is being filed by another individual on behalf of the claimant, the claimant’s original picture identification or a photostatic copy of the claimant’s picture identification as well as the filing individual’s original picture identification shall be presented to the commission at the time of the claim.

Under Confidentiality:  Upon written request, the commission shall release the name, town or residence, date of prize, and the gross and net amounts of the annual prize payment of a winner. Financing statements filed with the commission shall be public records.

There is an exemption in the NH General Statutes called 91-A:5 which is to protect a party from invasion of privacy. Maybe a lottery winner could refer to that rule and then there would be court hearings, legal fees, your money would be held in escrow waiting for the court's decision, and if you won then there'd be a new law with your name "Jones vs NH", so now you'd be even more famous for winning your case to remain anonymous.

Smash

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: May 16, 2006, 3:40 am - IP Logged

I wish I could edit or clear my last post, since I just read a press release where PB winners won $85 million and stayed anonymous by having their lawyer claim it.  So I don't understand all of the published rules on the NH website! 

“Congratulations to our newest Powerball winners!” said Rick Wisler, executive director of the New Hampshire Lottery. “While we do enjoy the ability to meet our winners and help them announce their good fortune, we can respect the winners’ desire to remain anonymous. We wish them all the best!”

So please disregard my last post. Duh!  Sorry.  What?

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                Washington State
                United States
                Member #33973
                February 26, 2006
                347 Posts
                Posted: May 16, 2006, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

There have been several anonymous winners. Even the name of trusts if you look up the winners of lotto. Of course it's been a while since someone has claimed anonymously since lotto prizes (exept the $11M prize) have been so small lately why bother with anonymous claims.

They still list the name of the trust and city. Other than that they just say the winner wishes to be anonymous. I remember a $16M pot was claimed that way. 

Well, that is indeed good news!  I guess since there were so many years that I didn't play and since then have played just erratically until recently, I totally missed any news of anonymous winners. 

I started going through the lists of winners on the Washington State website, but with all those smaller prizes listed, there are pages and pages of them, so I quit.  I'll just take your word for it.

Now I may be able to revise my thinking of what I'd do if I should win big.  But there is one major problem if I should try to remain anonymous.  I would plan to make gifts to about 20 relatives.  Can you imagine trying to get 20 people to keep their mouths shut? Big Grin And how else could I possibly explain how a retired widow suddenly came into so much money that she could afford to support her disabled relatives and give decent sized gifts to the others?

Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: May 16, 2006, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if all of the rules on each state site were clearer?  I like the FAQ plain & simple like on this site. I googled some words like anonymous, lottery winner, and got

17. Is it possible to win the lottery and remain anonymous?

No. In Montana, by law, your name, the amount won, and the town you're from is public information. It is not possible to win the Lottery in Montana and remain anonymous.

This was from an official website. Sounds clear to me, but who knows? Wish they were all this black & white, but I would always check first with both the lottery & an attorney.

Uff Da!  I think you'd have to make a choice, since I agree people would be suspicious. I've also thought of the same thing. I would want to help a lot of people, but I know that some who don't have financial problems would feel left out and hurt.  Once you open up that door, there's no turning back. But I know it would be almost impossible not to be generous and help those who need your love & support.

Dolce, Illinois
                    United States
                    Member #26462
                    November 18, 2005
                    50 Posts
                    Posted: May 16, 2006, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

I really believe the lottery people need to revisit the issue.  If a person is truly unable to handle the publicity surrounding a large jackpot, and can provide some facts in the matter, maybe allowing them to remain nameless is the way to go.

You'd think with so many winners over time that they would have a good working group of people to study.  I know if I won, I'd appreciate the option of remaining unknown.

I also think, maybe unrelated, that the winnings shouldn't be taxed, like in the UK.  And that the payoff should be as close to the actual amount collected as possible.  Seems pretty low budget to nail winners for up to 38% in tax, then knock off 50% off the top for a lump sum payoff.  Just doesn't seem right.  Lotteries shouldn't, as their main purpose, tax collections vehicles.

United States
                      Member #38908
                      May 7, 2006
                      27 Posts
                      Posted: May 16, 2006, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

If anonymity were not possible, my #1 rule would be:

- Anyone who ASKS for money is automatically disqualified from receving ANYTHING.

I would state that as loud as I could at the press conference for the winner.

Granted, that might be different for loved ones.  But at least you MIGHT detour some hassle from people. 

I would have plans to help people in need - but one doesn't have far to look to find them. That part is easy.

I think my #2 rule would be applicable to relatives and friends:

- only $12,000 a year to any indiviudal. 

(http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98968,00.html) 

I believe that is the amount one is allowed to give to someone before the gift tax kicks in.

I think medical and education expenses are exempted from that limit, so I wouldn't mind paying for that for close relatives.  In secrecy from the other relatives, of course!

Any other ideas - or comments? 

I wanna die in my sleep - like my grandfather. 

Not screaming and yelling - like the passengers in his car. Confused

Entertaiment Capital
                        United States
                        Member #37800
                        April 19, 2006
                        302 Posts
                        Posted: May 17, 2006, 1:35 am - IP Logged

Does State of California allow anonymous claim?

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                          Member #4877
                          May 30, 2004
                          5113 Posts
                          Posted: May 17, 2006, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

Does State of California allow anonymous claim?

Remenber ambelamba:

We are protected under the...............

1st ammendant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2nd amendmenttttttttttttt

3rd emmemtmenttttttttttt

Onley Lottery Post members have rights

to do what they want!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When they WIN$$$$$$$$$$$

LoL

PSYKOMO 

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
                            Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
                            United States
                            Member #26084
                            November 14, 2005
                            199 Posts
                            Posted: May 18, 2006, 10:58 am - IP Logged

I have looked and looked and I still can't find out about if you can claim lottery prizes anonymously in Texas.

http://www.txlottery.org/

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

Baton Rouge, LA
                              United States
                              Member #4602
                              May 7, 2004
                              699 Posts
                              Posted: May 18, 2006, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

If anonymity were not possible, my #1 rule would be:

- Anyone who ASKS for money is automatically disqualified from receving ANYTHING.

I would state that as loud as I could at the press conference for the winner.

Granted, that might be different for loved ones.  But at least you MIGHT detour some hassle from people. 

I would have plans to help people in need - but one doesn't have far to look to find them. That part is easy.

I think my #2 rule would be applicable to relatives and friends:

- only $12,000 a year to any indiviudal. 

(http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98968,00.html) 

I believe that is the amount one is allowed to give to someone before the gift tax kicks in.

I think medical and education expenses are exempted from that limit, so I wouldn't mind paying for that for close relatives.  In secrecy from the other relatives, of course!

Any other ideas - or comments? 

Sounds good to me.  Actually, my wife said to me a couple of weeks ago the same thing that was in rule #1.  I run a pool at my work and I buy my own Lotto ticket and Powerball when it breaks $100 million.  My wife also suggested saying that at the press conference and saying we will decide what will be done with the money.

Based on the way my family has treated me in the past, if they get anything, it won't be much.  That's probably what they'd do to me. 

PrisonerSix